The Golf Thread

They're not that hard from well manicured bunkers. It's a function of maintenance, practice and weapons.

Jacks sour grapes are about his conversion record, which was poor. He was one of the best putters ever and still struggled with conversions because his wedge play was subpar.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

First I've heard of that. He still has a legitimate gripe anyway. Courses have gotten longer, tighter, and rough has gotten taller, but bunkers have gotten easier. Rees Jones, the "Open Doctor", who I think is an idiot, does everything to screw up a courses original design, and actually makes some greenside bunkers easier by making them bigger but shallower (is that a word?). Doesn't make sense to me.

Yep. Why do you make just the comparison with bunkers today vs years ago when they're are more things relevant.

That's your argument? Are you kidding? The fairways are better groomed? Really? Does the fact they are narrower than they used to be matter? Does the fact that well groomed rough is sometimes 2" taller than it used to be matter? Cause the well groomed bunkers didn't get smaller and deeper.

That's your argument? Are you kidding? The fairways are better groomed? Really? Does the fact they are narrower than they used to be matter? Does the fact that well groomed rough is sometimes 2" taller than it used to be matter? Cause the well groomed bunkers didn't get smaller and deeper.

Are you really saying bunkers are easier than they use to be? Are you kidding? There are more, deeper, larger bunkers today than there ever was. The care of the bunkers has little to do with guys being good from them. Maybe it's practice & the clubs.

Are you really saying bunkers are easier than they use to be? Are you kidding? There are more, deeper, larger bunkers today than there ever was. The care of the bunkers has little to do with guys being good from them. Maybe it's practice & the clubs.

There are larger bunkers, which are easier. The bunkers are not deeper. The care of bunkers has a lot to do with it.

I don't play enough to give strokes and lose, dammit. Ryder cup brentwood v Franklin at westhaven today, team up 1 into 18. Franklin player stroking and hits a polie for a par and 1 dot W. We parred too, but par guy stroked. I had 5 birds today and 2 didn't count because guy stroking had pars. Bs! Am I whiny? I lost $2. I should be. Dammit!

I don't play enough to give strokes and lose, dammit. Ryder cup brentwood v Franklin at westhaven today, team up 1 into 18. Franklin player stroking and hits a polie for a par and 1 dot W. We parred too, but par guy stroked. I had 5 birds today and 2 didn't count because guy stroking had pars. Bs! Am I whiny? I lost $2. I should be. Dammit!

What?!?!?!?!?!? :blink:

Unless I missed the British Open thread I'm surprised nobody is pouring cold water on another Mickelson choke job. He went out in 30 and came crashing back near par with a 38 on the back nine to hand Darren Clarke his first major. Another American (Dustin Johnson) came up small while I liked Ricky Fowler's moxy throughout the weekend. Loved his snow mittens during Saturday's noreaster.

Unless I missed the British Open thread I'm surprised nobody is pouring cold water on another Mickelson choke job. He went out in 30 and came crashing back near par with a 38 on the back nine to hand Darren Clarke his first major. Another American (Dustin Johnson) came up small while I liked Ricky Fowler's moxy throughout the weekend. Loved his snow mittens during Saturday's noreaster.

Open thread is here:
http://www.volnation.com/forum/sports-forum/131530-140th-open-championship-4.html

Also, the guy started Sunday 4 strokes back in 5th. He finished Sunday 3 strokes back in 2nd, shooting -2. I'm not exactly sure how that is "another Mickelson choke job."

Definitely not what I would call a choke. Mickelson had to play out pf his mind early to even contend and at no time did he ever have control.

I watched the celebrity golf tourny at Lake Tahoe yesterday for awhile. I didn't realize Tony Romo was a legit golfer. One of the guys I work with said he has qualified for the Open before.

I watched the celebrity golf tourny at Lake Tahoe yesterday for awhile. I didn't realize Tony Romo was a legit golfer. One of the guys I work with said he has qualified for the Open before.

He's really good, but he's never qualified for the open. The furthest he's made it is sectional qualifying.

Rick Reilly's (who is a jackass) latest column just blisters Tiger. Holds nothing back.

VN Store

Back