The Golf Thread

Take it up with HTC, they made this POS phone with this sorry Google auto correct program.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I know it's called a smart phone, but it's up to you to understand how contractions work. Not really part of this argument, but you've brought this on yourself.

Because wasn't the purpose of the bunker to punish the player?

So is the rough. So you take the lesser of two evils. No one wants to land in a bunker, that logic you two are making is just silly. But they are eliminating themselves from the most trouble, which is a key component that separates most scratch and beyond golfers from regular duffers.

no, you are. Jack's argument is they are aiming for misses to go to bunkers. Even in links style play players still aim for misses in the bunkers. At worst in a bunker you are playing off the lip. Anything, and I do mean anything can happen in the green side rough, especially with so many courses adopting the turtleback greens where a ball can roll pretty much anywhere on a missed shot.

Thought I was talking to golfers. Didn't realize I had to explain that aiming for bunkers meant aiming for bunkers in case you miss your target.

Jack's argument is that ALL bunkers are too groomed. They had ridges raked in them till the 90s now its a preferable shot vs. back of the green. That shouldn't be the case for the best in the world.

But the rough is not classified as a hazard.

why are you two placing so much emphasis on a bunker being classified as a hazard? All that means essentially is that the player can't ground his club. Rough anymore isn't much different, because grounding your club could cause the ball to move.

But the rough is not classified as a hazard.

Mostly for grounding the club rules to gain an advantage.

Take a golf ball the next time you play on the short side of the green and throw it as hard as you can in the bunker. Step on it for good measure. Blast that nugget out.

Then step out and throw one in the rough, stomp on it too. Both of them equally suck.

But no one, and I mean no one in their right mind aims at a bunker. Because we've all had that great honor of blasting those out.

Once again, classifying a bunker as a penalty is fine. but saying that they are there to enforce that no one holes out is ignorant.

Thought I was talking to golfers. Didn't realize I had to explain that aiming for bunkers meant aiming for bunkers in case you miss your target.

Jack's argument is that ALL bunkers are too groomed. They had ridges raked in them till the 90s now its a preferable shot vs. back of the green. That shouldn't be the case for the best in the world.

Now you're pulling the same retort shortgame always did.

Nice.

So is the rough. So you take the lesser of two evils.No one wants to land in a bunker, that logic you two are making is just silly. But they are eliminating themselves from the most trouble, which is a key component that separates most scratch and beyond golfers from regular duffers.

Yes they do. It happened today. Claimed that they are probably hoping to be in a bunker.

quit making yourself look like a fool. You're the one talking out your rear. I've served as a rules official. I understand the game. You however are having a difficult time holding onto your weak argument. Years ago, designers didn't care about the back of the green, so that was the spot to hit a miss. Now, after realizing players were taking advantage of the easy to play back of greens, they stiffened up all around the green and the bunkers are now the best place to miss. You aren't being rewarded by hitting into a bunker, it's simply the safest play if you do miss the green.

Mostly for grounding the club rules to gain an advantage.

Take a golf ball the next time you play on the short side of the green and throw it as hard as you can in the bunker. Step on it for good measure. Blast that nugget out.

Then step out and throw one in the rough, stomp on it too. Both of them equally suck.

But no one, and I mean no one in their right mind aims at a bunker. Because we've all had that great honor of blasting those out.

Once again, classifying a bunker as a penalty is fine. but saying that they are there to enforce that no one holes out is ignorant.

What's ignorant is EXPECTING to hole out from a bunker. That should never happen.

The point I'm trying to make is a bunker should never be a "good miss".

then blame the designers for making everything else harder. Tell them to go back to forgetting about the back sides of greens so it's easy to get up and down from behind the green again. Your only other option is something NYY said, make a moat of fire around the green and either you land on the green or you burn. That way there's no "good miss."

I gotta get going though so I can set the wheels in motion to get me and my unit out of this country and I can come home and play golf. Sure as heck not going to be aiming for bunkers, I can assure you of that.

I gotta get going though so I can set the wheels in motion to get me and my unit out of this country and I can come home and play golf. Sure as heck not going to be aiming for bunkers, I can assure you of that.

Now we were some having healthy banter don't be a smartass. :p

Have a safe trip home. Will have to tee it up sometime. I'll bring sandcastle buckets.

quit making yourself look like a fool. You're the one talking out your rear.I've served as a rules official. I understand the game. You however are having a difficult time holding onto your weak argument. Years ago, designers didn't care about the back of the green, so that was the spot to hit a miss. Now, after realizing players were taking advantage of the easy to play back of greens, they stiffened up all around the green and the bunkers are now the best place to miss. You aren't being rewarded by hitting into a bunker, it's simply the safest play if you do miss the green.

Huh oh! Got us an internet bully! Sorry for insulting the intelligence of an all-mighty rules official! Man, you're big time! I totality change my view. I'm aiming for bunkers from now on. Thanks Bill!

actually I do have a correction to make. They packed my weapons away, so from now until I leave, if the shiz hits the fan, I'll definitely consider the bunker my safest option... :)

VN Store

Back