The Golf Thread

So Phil buys his fans?

no, but he's not a stingy tipper, hooks up the valets at restaurants and courses and what not. Tiger's free to do what he wants with his money, but all Reilly is pointing out is it would be beneficial for Tiger to be generous with his wealth when it comes to tipping those who typically receive tips because in the grand scheme of things that's all part of good PR.

As Reilly points out, right now Tiger has absolutely nothing going right for him from a PR standpoint and is losing fans more rapidly than he's losing endorsements. It wouldn't hurt him at all to appear more appealing to the general public, and one way to start doing that is to start being kinder to the valets and all that jazz. It makes him appear to be a nicer guy. As Reilly again pointed out, everyone's always known Tiger was a royal a** to everyone, but since he was God's gift to golf at the time, no one cared. No that he came crashing down to earth, he's not getting away with that type of stuff anymore.

no, but he's not a stingy tipper, hooks up the valets at restaurants and courses and what not. Tiger's free to do what he wants with his money, but all Reilly is pointing out is it would be beneficial for Tiger to be generous with his wealth when it comes to tipping those who typically receive tips because in the grand scheme of things that's all part of good PR.

As Reilly points out, right now Tiger has absolutely nothing going right for him from a PR standpoint and is losing fans more rapidly than he's losing endorsements. It wouldn't hurt him at all to appear more appealing to the general public, and one way to start doing that is to start being kinder to the valets and all that jazz. It makes him appear to be a nicer guy. As Reilly again pointed out, everyone's always known Tiger was a royal a** to everyone, but since he was God's gift to golf at the time, no one cared. No that he came crashing down to earth, he's not getting away with that type of stuff anymore.

If ever starts winning again all those "fans" he lost will come crawling back.

that's a giant if.

I don't think Tiger will ever even come close to returning to the Tiger of the last decade. He might pull off a few more majors, but all of his wins will be contested all along the way and no one is going to be afraid of him on Sundays, whether he's leading by 3 or trailing by 2. Without the fans, the endorsements won't come back either. There are too many young guns ready and willing to step up and create competition. It may suck for golf ratings as a whole, but for the real golf fan, professional golf is about get as fun and exciting as we've seen it in decades. There's going to be a minimum of eight legit favorites for ever major for the next few years and Tiger's name might not ever be one of those listed.

that's a giant if.

I don't think Tiger will ever even come close to returning to the Tiger of the last decade. He might pull off a few more majors, but all of his wins will be contested all along the way and no one is going to be afraid of him on Sundays, whether he's leading by 3 or trailing by 2. Without the fans, the endorsements won't come back either. There are too many young guns ready and willing to step up and create competition. It may suck for golf ratings as a whole, but for the real golf fan, professional golf is about get as fun and exciting as we've seen it in decades. There's going to be a minimum of eight legit favorites for ever major for the next few years and Tiger's name might not ever be one of those listed.

Haven't people been saying that for 2 or 3 years now and still nothing.

Tiger had people beat from an intimidation standpoint in the past and golf is a mental game. He doesn't have that edge anymore. Of course he was physically gifted as well, but physical gifts decrease as you age and you have to adapt.

Haven't people been saying that for 2 or 3 years now and still nothing.

are you kidding? 11 straight different major winners, young, old and in between. The media loves to hype up that no one has stepped up, but I tend to lean more to the fact that there's more talent in the game than in my entire lifetime. Bubba, AK, DJ, ZJ, Matt Kuchar, Luke Donald and Jason Day will get their major at some point, but they're going to have to fight for it. No one's going to lay down for them just because of a name. It's a giant free for all, and I don't see how it could be more interesting.

that's a giant if.

he only needs 5 more

I used to think it was a foregone conclusion, but 5 majors is a big number.

agreed. Most golfers would give anything for just one or two. Asking him to win five majors with his knees and achilles all the while fixing all the problems in his head is going to take some serious work.

agreed. Most golfers would give anything for just one or two. Asking him to win five majors with his knees and achilles all the while fixing all the problems in his head is going to take some serious work.
5 doesn't seem like a lot until you go look at the major win totals for the greats. There are only about a dozen or so golfers all time that have won 5 majors.

he's got around 40 more majors in him till he reaches 46, the same age Jack won his last Masters

so I still think he's going to get 5 more

he's got around 40 more majors in him till he reaches 46, the same age Jack won his last Masters

so I still think he's going to get 5 more

I'll be surprised if Tiger is playing competitively that long. His knee is never going to fully recover and the wear and tear on it will be too much, no matter how many surgeries he has.

when he finally gets a swing coach that dials him back a little, he'll quit wearing his body out

there's no need to [ut that much stress on you body, driving the ball...he can stil win with a short game dialed in

Nice to see Oak Ridge native Scott Stallings making some $$$ in his rookie campaign. Great guy from folks I've talked to.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

when he finally gets a swing coach that dials him back a little, he'll quit wearing his body out

there's no need to [ut that much stress on you body, driving the ball...he can stil win with a short game dialed in

His 1999-2002 swing that was so successful for him put a great deal of stress and pressure on those joints. Tiger was only dominant with that swing on weeks where the flat stick was working. I'm not so sure he can win with tee shots he can't control and a loss of distance with his irons

Putts aren't falling for him. His ball striking is still up there. Of course it's not as good as it was, but it was other worldly before. Putts fall for him and it's a different story.

Just turned it on the Canadian open. Looking at the scores, is it playing tougher than the US Open? or is it more due to a lot of players being out. Looks tight with a ton of trees. Only watched a couple holes, but it reminded me of that Stonehenge course in E TN that is treed from tee to green.

Just turned it on the Canadian open. Looking at the scores, is it playing tougher than the US Open? or is it more due to a lot of players being out. Looks tight with a ton of trees. Only watched a couple holes, but it reminded me of that Stonehenge course in E TN that is treed from tee to green.

Rough was old school deep. And narrow as a hallway in some parts.

Can't remember if I've asked this before...

can I establish a handicap online?? I let mine lapse in Tennessee after I moved. Now I need one ASAP

Can't remember if I've asked this before...

can I establish a handicap online?? I let mine lapse in Tennessee after I moved. Now I need one ASAP
Yeah. I've done it before through an online club. Just make sure GHIN recognizes it has an official club.

Found a used set of Nike VR split cavity irons (3-PW) in great condition for $249. Has anyone ever played them or have an opinion on whether they would be worth buying?

I am not a huge fan of Nike VR irons though that is a pretty impressive deal. If they are on Craig's list or something like that local to you, ask to hit them first. I just loked at TGW and a new set is only 297.48 so I would get what you want if the shafts are right before buying used. Have you ever considered the Titleist AP1?

^geez...be careful out in that heat and get plenty of water...hope you play well!

VN Store

Back