The GOP and Minority Rule

Help me wise Vizzini. I'm trying to get from the structure of the senate to "America is a republic, not a democracy!" My feeble mind senses that maybe that conclusion doesn't follow. O' erudite one, can you please help me discover why I'm not seeing the entailment?
United States Constitution, Article I, Section 3

The Senate of the United States shall be composed of two Senators from each State, chosen by the Legislature thereof, for six Years; and each Senator shall have one Vote

Boy that’s pretty clear. Each state has an equal say in the Senate. Did you eyes burn out of their sockets reading that?

Reactions: Rickyvol77 and AM64
Reactions: Rickyvol77 and AM64
You like this verbiage better then?

The Senate of the United States shall be composed of two Senators from each State, elected by the people thereof, for six years; and each Senator shall have one vote. The electors in each State shall have the qualifications requisite for electors of the most numerous branch of the State legislatures.

LOL - but it's different words

Reactions: AM64

From your link....
Originally, under Article I, § 3, Clauses 1 and 2 of the Constitution, each state legislatureelected its state's senators for a six-year term.[3] Each state, regardless of size, is entitled to two senators as part of the Connecticut Compromise between the small and large states.[4] This contrasted with the House of Representatives, a body elected by popular vote, and was described as an uncontroversial decision; at the time, James Wilson was the sole advocate of popularly electing the Senate, but his proposal was defeated 10–1.[5] There were many advantages to the original method of electing senators. Prior to the Constitution, a federal body was one where states effectively formed nothing more than permanent treaties, with citizens retaining their loyalty to their original state. However, under the new Constitution, the federal government was granted substantially more power than before. Having the state legislatures elect the senators reassured anti-federalists that there would be some protection against the federal government's swallowing up states and their powers,[6] and providing a check on the power of the federal government.[7]
Additionally, the longer terms and avoidance of popular election turned the Senate into a body that could counter the populism of the House. While the representatives operated in a two-year direct election cycle, making them frequently accountable to their constituents, the senators could afford to "take a more detached view of issues coming before Congress".[8] State legislatures retained the theoretical right to "instruct" their senators to vote for or against proposals, thus giving the states both direct and indirect representation in the federal government.[9] The Senate was part of a formal bicameralism, with the members of the Senate and House responsible to completely distinct constituencies; this helped defeat the problem of the federal government being subject to "special interests".[10] Members of the Constitutional Convention considered the Senate to be parallel to the British House of Lords as an "upper house", containing the "better men" of society, but improved upon as they would be conscientiously chosen by the upper houses of state republican legislatures for fixed terms, and not merely inherited for life as in the British system, subject to a monarch's arbitrary expansion. It was hoped they would provide abler deliberation and greater stability than the House of Representatives due to the senators' status.[11]

Still waiting to hear how we get from (1) each state gets two senators, to (2) WE'RE NOT A DEMOCRACY YOU DAMN LIBTARD!!!!!

Can you help a brother out here?

Reactions: Tyler Durden
Still waiting to hear how we get from (1) each state gets two senators, to (2) WE'RE NOT A DEMOCRACY YOU DAMN LIBTARD!!!!!

Asked and answered sister. The states are granted equal footing in the Senate which is the whole crux of the dialog. Here I’ll quote both versions again, T&P’s for your eye sockets 😂🤡

United States Constitution, Article I, Section 3

The Senate of the United States shall be composed of two Senators from each State, chosen by the Legislature thereof, for six Years; and each Senator shall have one Vote

Boy that’s pretty clear. Each state has an equal say in the Senate. Did you eyes burn out of their sockets reading that?
You like this verbiage better then?

The Senate of the United States shall be composed of two Senators from each State, elected by the people thereof, for six years; and each Senator shall have one vote. The electors in each State shall have the qualifications requisite for electors of the most numerous branch of the State legislatures.

I'm still waiting to hear how we solve the problem that small states get the same # of senators as big states by adding 2 more small states with 2 senators each.

Asked and answered sister. The states are granted equal footing in the Senate which is the whole crux of the dialog. Here I’ll quote both versions again, T&P’s for your eye sockets 😂🤡

The senate is one-half of one of our three branches of government. I assume you also conclude that elephants are big and thin because they have big and thin ears.

The whole premise of the article you posted was that there were more Republican senators representing a smaller population. And that fewer Democratic senators represent a greater number of people. The whole point of the article is flawed because senators don’t represent the people.

The senate is one-half of one of our three branches of government. I assume you also conclude that elephants are big and thin because they have big and thin ears.
It’s very clear in its intent. The states are given a say on an equal footing and have had so since day one.

Do you have a relevant argument that isn’t based in a lie?

Ah but they are. Each has equal sovereignty including control of it's own budget and voting rules. It is only the parts that were ceded to Federal control where there is some representation issues but the Senate is designed to mitigate that.
Not really true:

Interpretation: Elections Clause | The National Constitution Center
Although the Elections Clause makes states primarily responsible for regulating congressional elections, it vests ultimate power in Congress. Congress may pass federal laws regulating congressional elections that automatically displace (“preempt”) any contrary state statutes, or enact its own regulations concerning those aspects of elections that states may not have addressed. The Framers of the Constitution were concerned that states might establish unfair election procedures or attempt to undermine the national government by refusing to hold elections for Congress. They empowered Congress to step in and regulate such elections as a self-defense mechanism.

The whole premise of the article you posted was that there were more Republican senators representing a smaller population. And that fewer Democratic senators represent a greater number of people. The whole point of the article is flawed because senators don’t represent the people.

and he wants to solve it by adding more senators representing small populations

Follow the law.
Nobody would be disenfranchised.
If the violations of state constitutions caused an election to be set aside there are provisions for what to do next within the law. Either way a large group was disenfranchised

Nobody was disenfranchised.

a moment ago you said they were not equals - now you recognize that indeed they are. it all depends on the context.
lol...processing difficulties?

Can you grasp the concept that things can be equal in some ways and vastly different in others?

If not, let me know and I will provide examples.

Not really true:

Interpretation: Elections Clause | The National Constitution Center
Although the Elections Clause makes states primarily responsible for regulating congressional elections, it vests ultimate power in Congress. Congress may pass federal laws regulating congressional elections that automatically displace (“preempt”) any contrary state statutes, or enact its own regulations concerning those aspects of elections that states may not have addressed. The Framers of the Constitution were concerned that states might establish unfair election procedures or attempt to undermine the national government by refusing to hold elections for Congress. They empowered Congress to step in and regulate such elections as a self-defense mechanism.

and this refers only to Congressional elections.

Reactions: Kristy* and AM64
I'm still waiting to hear how we solve the problem that small states get the same # of senators as big states by adding 2 more small states with 2 senators each.
Since DC is basically a city state in that context we should also welcome the states of New York City, Los Angeles, and Houston to the Republic. Welcome all!😂

lol...processing difficulties?

Can you grasp the concept that things can be equal in some ways and vastly different in others?

If not, let me know and I will provide examples.

I absolutely grasp that and stated examples. They were in reply to your blanket statement that states are not equal. I'm pointing out that your blanket statement was incorrect. Glad to see you came also to see the blanket statement was wrong and also glad I could help you realize that. You're welcome.

Reactions: NorthDallas40
and this refers only to Congressional elections.

a moment ago you said states control their own elections - now you recognize that indeed they do not. it all depends on the context. (these are your own words in case you do not recognize them.

Plus, congressional elections are held at the same time is most every major election.

You're welcome.

Sister evil’s dumbassery has been thwarted once again and now we will pay for our insolence with much Midol infused illogical shrieking 😂

VN Store

Back