The GOP and Minority Rule

One of my favorites

"If congressional obstruction forces Biden to use his executive authority to fulfill key campaign promises on issues like immigration and the environment,"

He didn't wanna do but he was forced to. Funny that didn't apply to Trump or W; only Obama and Biden. They had no choice.
How could Biden be “forced” to use EOs when he hasn’t even remotely attempted to work with Congress yet like he said he would while campaigning?

Reactions: AM64
So is this a problem or not?

"Despite Democrats’ Georgia wins, the GOP’s structural advantage in the Senate is only growing, given its dominance in small rural states. The level of inequality in the Senate today would have shocked the likes of James Madison. In 1790, the country’s most populous state, Virginia, had 12 times as many people as its least populous, Delaware. Today, California has 68 times the population of Wyoming. Fifteen small states with 38 million people combined routinely elect 30 GOP senators; California, with 40 million residents, is represented by two Democrats. This imbalance is getting worse: By 2040, roughly 70 percent of Americans will live in 15 states with 30 senators, while the other 30 percent, who are whiter, older, and more rural than the country as a whole, will elect 70 senators."

You can either say yes or no. If you say yes, then you should believe in senate reform to make it more proportional to population. However, like other Republicans, I'm guessing you would say no. If that's the case, then you have no real principled argument against DC and PR statehood. You have a political argument, but not one based on principle.

If Dems are dealing with purely political actors who refuse to act on principles, then Dems need to play by those rules and "even up the playing field" by bringing in DC and PR.

If structural features of the senate favor Republicans--and Republicans refuse to alter those structural features--Dems should be able to use those same structural features to obtain a more democratic result.
That’s what the House is for.

Very interesting picture Only "insurrectionist" with a helmet is a black guy, 2 guys with gas masks. Primary weapons appear to be plastic or fiberglass flag poles, and 3/4 of the people are looking the wrong way. They need to recruit some Antifa/BLM leaders next time....very poorly prepared.

Its too much information to compute at once

Let him gather some leftist talking points first about abolishing the Electoral College and how the popular vote is how the President should be elected

Even though the Electoral College is the best indicator that we are a Constitutional Republic and not a Democracy, other than historical documents and such

How come you always have to have opinionated links to back your opinions up? Can you not argue/think for yourself sheep?

It's a silly false dichotomy. America is a republic in the sense that we have elected leaders who make governmental decisions. But it is a democracy because the people elect those leaders. When people make the stupid "America is not a democracy" argument they're attacking a strawman direct democracy argument (where individual decisions are put up to a vote) that literally no one is making. And you goobers on the right gleefully conclude that since America is not a (direct) democracy, any anti-democratic action is fine because we were never a democracy in the first place. It's really some first grade s**t.

Reactions: OHvol40
I am shocked, shocked I say that such fine unbiased rag... er journalistic institutions like The New Yorker and The Atlantic take issue with statements not advocating an implied narrative towards pure mob... er people rule for country!
😂🤡

I am shocked, shocked I say that such fine unbiased rag... er journalistic institutions like The New Yorker and The Atlantic take issue with statements not advocating an implied narrative towards pure mob... er people rule for country!
😂🤡
I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands......

Soooooo their definition of Republic as given is flat out wrong. That is a representative Democracy not a Republic. At least not as intended by the founding fathers. What’s hilarious is the term has morphed in definition in modern times. If you look it up most places use the Representative Democracy description. Our founding fathers clearly meant the common definition at the time which was equal peer members of the thirteen colonies.

How malleable are the minds and emotions of Trumpers if a few BLM/Antifa activists can rile them up enough to storm the Capital.
Have you ever read anything about mob mentality and the psychological facts about how people behave in large groups versus otherwise?

There’s no excuse for what happened, but it doesn’t take much to start something like that.

Have you ever read anything about mob mentality and the psychological facts about how people behave in large groups versus otherwise?

There’s no excuse for what happened, but it doesn’t take much to start something like that.

I agree... but it wasn’t BLM/Antifa that started it.

What's the argument? If laws were broken, take it to court. Oh yea.............
It was. They refused to hear it and you’re going to lose your mind when the Republicans pull the same **** now that it’s established.
Kinda like when the Democrats changed the rules for confirmation of judges and the Republicans bent you over with it. Then everyone cried about how wrong it was. Your crying won’t help you next time either. I will not be happy about it when they do it but I will be here to tell you I told you so once again.
I’m supremely confident you’re not smart enough to learn from it though.

Edit SCOTUS Confrontation right before the election with a simple majority. Told you so.
Now watch what happens in March because of it.
Don’t worry, I won’t let you forget how you did this to yourself

I agree... but it wasn’t BLM/Antifa that started it.
I didn’t say it was.

I don’t think we’ll ever know who actually did start it.

I do know there were a bunch of people who didn’t break anything that got caught up in that mess. Not excusing anything, but there were capitol police standing at the doors telling people as they entered to be respectful even if they disagree.

It's a silly false dichotomy. America is a republic in the sense that we have elected leaders who make governmental decisions. But it is a democracy because the people elect those leaders. When people make the stupid "America is not a democracy" argument they're attacking a strawman direct democracy argument (where individual decisions are put up to a vote) that literally no one is making. And you goobers on the right gleefully conclude that since America is not a (direct) democracy, any anti-democratic action is fine because we were never a democracy in the first place. It's really some first grade s**t.
You use republic and democracy like half this board uses communism or Marxism.

The common use of the term Republic at the time of the country’s formation was a union of equal members. The term has been bastardized over the last 250 years if you track the morphing of the definition. Even the Oxford Dictionary gives the historical/archaic meaning in addition of the current bastardization. This is just another disingenuous or outright lie by you idiot libs in modifying the FF intent.

I didn’t say it was.

I don’t think we’ll ever know who actually did start it.

I do know there were a bunch of people who didn’t break anything that got caught up in that mess. Not excusing anything, but there were capitol police standing at the doors telling people as they entered to be respectful even if they disagree.

My original comment was to someone saying BLM/Antifa started it and some well meaning Trumpers just got swept up in the moment. Which is complete 🐴 💩

My original comment was to someone saying BLM/Antifa started it and some well meaning Trumpers just got swept up in the moment. Which is complete 🐴 💩
Did you see the recent reports that there was zero evidence that Officer Sicknick was attacked with a fire extinguisher?

The media ran with that story like it was irrefutable.

The media fueled a false narrative for what happened on January 6

I thought there was fraud in the election as I assume there is fraud in every presidential election. We’re electing the most popular of 2 crooks after all. The winner usually has the better ground game and fraudsters. If you can’t win the game you don’t win office and Trump failed to shore up his ground game. What amazed me is that Time Magazine of all entities came out and published how they rigged the election. I don’t know if they did it by accident or are flexing their muscles. It’s an amazing article if you’ve got about 15 minutes.
2020 Election | Time
The Secret History of the Shadow Campaign That Saved the 2020 Election

Last edited:
Reactions: Septic
It was. They refused to hear it and you’re going to lose your mind when the Republicans pull the same **** now that it’s established.
Kinda like when the Democrats changed the rules for confirmation of judges and the Republicans bent you over with it. Then everyone cried about how wrong it was. Your crying won’t help you next time either. I will not be happy about it when they do it but I will be here to tell you I told you so once again.
I’m supremely confident you’re not smart enough to learn from it though.

Edit SCOTUS Confrontation right before the election with a simple majority. Told you so.
Now watch what happens in March because of it.
Don’t worry, I won’t let you forget how you did this to yourself
March? Is that a tease?

The common use of the term Republic at the time of the country’s formation was a union of equal members. The term has been bastardized over the last 250 years if you track the morphing of the definition. Even the Oxford Dictionary gives the historical/archaic meaning in addition of the current bastardization. This is just another disingenuous or outright lie by you idiot libs in modifying the FF intent.

I assume all the chest thumping you goobers are engaging in over the "We're a republic!" argument is supposed to be about something other than semantics. Please tell me what you think hangs on this democracy vs. republic debate?

The Federal government was ceded some power from the states. There's a reason it's called the "united states" of America. The republic part is a form of government that protects the rights of the minority from the will of the majority.

I'm sorry EL doesn't like the founding principles of the country. Fortunately the Founders left mechanisms to change the Constitution.

VN Store

Back