The Illinois Crisis

What sucks is a lot of city growth plans involve annexing people who have no desire to live in the city. I think it stands to reason if someone wanted to live in the city they would have bought a house there. But of course it's not about providing services to those citizens, it's about expanding the tax base to pay for someone else's desires.

What sucks is a lot of city growth plans involve annexing people who have no desire to live in the city. I think it stands to reason if someone wanted to live in the city they would have bought a house there. But of course it's not about providing services to those citizens, it's about expanding the tax base to pay for someone else's desires.

The cost of developing infrastructure and and providing services in annexed areas invariably results in a tax increase for everyone - driving the more affluent people from the city to locations outside the city - which drains the city's tax base.

lol

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...olving-illinois-kass-met-20170620-column.html

Illinois is like Venezuela now, a fiscally broken state that has lost its will to live, although for the moment, we still have enough toilet paper.

But before we run out of the essentials, let's finally admit that after decade upon decade of taxing and spending and borrowing, Illinois has finally run out of other people's money.

Those "other people" include taxpayers who've abandoned the state. And now Illinois faces doomsday.

So as the politicians meet in Springfield this week for another round of posturing and gesturing and blaming, we need a plan.

And here it is:

Dissolve Illinois. Decommission the state, tear up the charter, whatever the legal mumbo-jumbo, just end the whole dang thing.

We just disappear. With no pain. That's right. You heard me.

The best thing to do is to break Illinois into pieces right now. Just wipe us off the map. Cut us out of America's heartland and let neighboring states carve us up and take the best chunks for themselves.

$

Reactions: 2 people
This is just flat out wrong. MidTown is absolutely booming right now. Growth everywhere. Home prices rising.

Germantown is rock solid.

Midtown is not what it was 20 years ago.

The money is shifting east. Cordova is s prime example. At one time it mirrored Germantown. Not anymore.

I live in a city--historic section of a city--and it is great, for the most part. Do I pay more than people who live 20 or more miles outside the city? Of course, but I have a better lifestyle in most ways. There are more than a dozen restaurants within easy walking distance, along with two markets, florist, dry-cleaners, salons, everything. Need a bottle of wine or an onion--it's a two-minute walk on sidewalks. It is gloriously convenient. We bike when we don't walk. The convenience factor is major. The city has a symphony, ballet, theaters, multiple galleries, parks--all within a 5 to 10 minute drive, and only 10 minutes because of street lights. Our neighborhood is beautiful and historic--great architecture. You get none of this out in counties--no history, no architecture, no culture.

In the counties you get cookie-cutter subdivisions (or worse if you are farther out). In the counties you are driving constantly--wasting energy. In the counties you get more space; other than that, they are sterile and ugly--all strip malls and subdivisions, one after the other going out along major thoroughfares. County people watch TV and grill, maybe play a little golf (declining sport).

Cities, when right, are far superior to counties and burbs. That's why millions of people visit Paris, London, Berlin, Stockholm, New York, Tokyo and Shanghai, etc. Nobody says: "Hey's let's go visit Frackville--I hear the barbeque is great." Suburban sprawl has ruined millions of acres of pristine land and made America a very unattractive place--unless you find strings of shopping centers attractive. And that's where county folk spend their lives--in shopping centers. A lot of new subdivisions are nice, but they go up farther and farther and farther out--and then there's lots of traffic.

White flight to the burbs dealt a major blow to cities, but a lot of them are coming back. If middle-income people in significant numbers moved back to cities, cities would be thriving. The city I'm in has made a pretty substantial comeback, but, yea, the schools remain a problem because a lot of the whites in the city put their kids in private schools after elementary school. The school board has not been very smart.

Counties have their own set of problems. As they grow and sprawls occurs, property taxes must rise to pay for roads and police and fire, etc. The kids are in huge, suburban high schools--some good, many no better than decent, others not so good. If you've had a good living experience in a big city, it is nearly impossible, I find, to live in a suburb. I think we'll see cities prosper in the next 50 years as a lot of millennials are much more comfortable with social diversity and see the advantages of not just living in a city--but working in a city, creating businesses in a city. Depends on what you're into and what you're used to.

Reactions: 1 person
I live in a city--historic section of a city--and it is great, for the most part. Do I pay more than people who live 20 or more miles outside the city? Of course, but I have a better lifestyle in most ways. There are more than a dozen restaurants within easy walking distance, along with two markets, florist, dry-cleaners, salons, everything. Need a bottle of wine or an onion--it's a two-minute walk on sidewalks. It is gloriously convenient. We bike when we don't walk. The convenience factor is major. The city has a symphony, ballet, theaters, multiple galleries, parks--all within a 5 to 10 minute drive, and only 10 minutes because of street lights. Our neighborhood is beautiful and historic--great architecture. You get none of this out in counties--no history, no architecture, no culture.

In the counties you get cookie-cutter subdivisions (or worse if you are farther out). In the counties you are driving constantly--wasting energy. In the counties you get more space; other than that, they are sterile and ugly--all strip malls and subdivisions, one after the other going out along major thoroughfares. County people watch TV and grill, maybe play a little golf (declining sport).

Cities, when right, are far superior to counties and burbs. That's why millions of people visit Paris, London, Berlin, Stockholm, New York, Tokyo and Shanghai, etc. Nobody says: "Hey's let's go visit Frackville--I hear the barbeque is great." Suburban sprawl has ruined millions of acres of pristine land and made America a very unattractive place--unless you find strings of shopping centers attractive. And that's where county folk spend their lives--in shopping centers. A lot of new subdivisions are nice, but they go up farther and farther and farther out--and then there's lots of traffic.

White flight to the burbs dealt a major blow to cities, but a lot of them are coming back. If middle-income people in significant numbers moved back to cities, cities would be thriving. The city I'm in has made a pretty substantial comeback, but, yea, the schools remain a problem because a lot of the whites in the city put their kids in private schools after elementary school. The school board has not been very smart.

Counties have their own set of problems. As they grow and sprawls occurs, property taxes must rise to pay for roads and police and fire, etc. The kids are in huge, suburban high schools--some good, many no better than decent, others not so good. If you've had a good living experience in a big city, it is nearly impossible, I find, to live in a suburb. I think we'll see cities prosper in the next 50 years as a lot of millennials are much more comfortable with social diversity and see the advantages of not just living in a city--but working in a city, creating businesses in a city. Depends on what you're into and what you're used to.

This is one big pile of steamy ****. You haven't left the city in about 60 years. You've probably never seen an unplanned tree in real life.

Reactions: 4 people

You sound like a pretentious snob, You can have the concrete jungle and I'll keep the beach ..

Attachments

• IMG_8986.JPG
    IMG_8986.JPG
    128.6 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: 3 people

When you're sliding into home and your pants are full of foam..... diahrreah ...da da da diahrreah

I'm delighted some prefer the big city. More peace and quiet and greenery for me. I pee off my deck because I can.

The money is shifting east. Cordova is s prime example. At one time it mirrored Germantown. Not anymore.

You're wrong about MidTown.

Central Gardens & Evergreen are as strong / stronger than ever. Cooper Young is cool if you're into an edgier hipster type community.

Overton Square is completely revitalized. The whole corridor between Overton & Cooper Young is being developed.

You're right about Cordova, but I don't see Germantown headed that way. They have those borders on lockdown.

This is one big pile of steamy ****. You haven't left the city in about 60 years. You've probably never seen an unplanned tree in real life.

I honestly feel sorry for anyone like that. Saying that the rural area have no culture or architecture and all that other bs that was mentioned is just pathetic.

Money is moving into midtown unfortunately. Prices for houses alone are getting higher. Houses are only staying on the market a few days. I just sold one. The good thing is it is memphians moving and staying here. Not out of towners. They mostly move to burbs it seems.

VN Store

Back