The Masters Tournament

A lot of it was perfect weather and no wind.

Perfect weather for the tournament and just the right amount of rain leading up to the tournament that made the course soft yet nowhere near soggy. They let the golfers do their thing. They didn't make them second guess what every bounce was going to do from green to green.

Loved the Ben Crenshaw tribute on Friday at the 18th.

I especially loved that his smoking hot family was there - yowza

469367392-ben-crenshaw-of-the-us-hugs-his-wife-julie-gettyimages.jpg

According to Tiger, Augusta never even turned on the SubAirs. The members knew what they were doing and didn't care. Augusta isn't the US Open or even the British. It's a difficult golf course that rewards good golf shots and makes you pay for bad ones. Other than going for 15 in two on Sunday, Spieth never tried to gamble too much. He took his punishments when he didn't hit it well off the tee so that he could rebound. They could have made the course tougher and Augusta chose not to. On purpose. I prefer that kind of golf anyway.

I almost had a heart attack when he went at the flag on 13. If that ball is 3 yards to the right or short, he's in the creek making a 2nd bogey in a row and his lead would've been 2 shots.

Perfect weather for the tournament and just the right amount of rain leading up to the tournament that made the course soft yet nowhere near soggy. They let the golfers do their thing. They didn't make them second guess what every bounce was going to do from green to green.

When the course is playing like it did this week, it's probably effectively a tough par 70.

When the course is playing like it did this week, it's probably effectively a tough par 70.
I remember the announcers saying that 17 (I think) played the easiest of any hole, other than the par 5's with a stroke avg of 4.10. If that is correct, then every par 3 and par 4 played over par. I'm pretty sure that all the par 5's played under par, so I think 72 is about right.
Some of the par 4's played close to 4.5, and some of the par 5's probably are close to that.

Only 8 players out of 97 broke 280, which would be a par 70 course. One third (32 of 97) broke even par , as a par 72 course.

My point is that when the course is soft and conditions are good, 8, 13 and 15 basically turn into really tough Par 4s.

My point is that when the course is soft and conditions are good, 8, 13 and 15 basically turn into really tough Par 4s.

There were very few playing who couldn't reach all 4 par 5s this week in two with a good tee shot. That's telling.

But I also point out that pin placements, SubAirs not being turned on, etc showed that the Masters knew they were giving scoring opportunities and just didn't care.

I can't disagree with that, but most of the other holes make up for it. I realize that those guys are hitting mid irons into 13 and 15. 8 is longer, but reachable for most. I don't know how long #2 is playing now, but it used to be really tough to hit to that green from a long way out. Nowadays, a true 3 shot hole for them has to be well over 600 yards.

A couple of years ago it was comical how many 2nd shots on 15 were rolling into the pond. Now most of the 2nd shots go over the green when not laying up.

#2 is 575
#8 is 570
#13 is 510
#15 is 530
#8 plays the toughest of the par 5's
#2 is next, then #15, then #13

All played within .1 stroke at about 4.6 average. Two years ago, they played in the same order of toughness, but .2 of a stroke higher. When I said that #2 used to be a hard green to hit from far away, it was, but the players often hit the trap, and got up and down for birdie.

This year:
#13: 4.55 stroke avg
#15: 4.60
#2: 4.62
#8: 4.65

The field did not average under par on any par 3 or 4. The stroke avg for the field was slightly over 72 this year.

Don't know if this has been mentioned but heard this on Golf Channel. When Tiger set the record at Augusta in '97, the course was 500 yards shorter than it is now. Thought that was interesting. Also, Augusta has lengthened some holes and changed contour of several greens to make it harder.

Don't know if this has been mentioned but heard this on Golf Channel. When Tiger set the record at Augusta in '97, the course was 500 yards shorter than it is now. Thought that was interesting. Also, Augusta has lengthened some holes and changed contour of several greens to make it harder.

The balls and clubs are also a lot faster now than they were then, so it's relative to some degree. But the committee definitely freaked out when Tiger made it look like a quaint little golf course.

VN Store

Back