The Masters Tournament

Spieth melted down, but Willett just shot 67 in the final round of the Masters. That's some serious playing.

Unbelievable that he just admitted he was shooting for the flag at 12 with a 2-3 shot lead. That's just crazy.

Can someone explain to me why Speith didn't go to the drop zone at 12 instead of dropping at some random spot between tee and hazard?

Can someone explain to me why Speith didn't go to the drop zone at 12 instead of dropping at some random spot between tee and hazard?

Just heard his explanation. The drop zone was at 65 yards and on a downslope. He wanted a better lie and a distance where he could spin it.

FWIW - Spieth did lose because he other-thought things for several days. I am surprised that he never seemed to chill out - but he is just 22. He has much room for improvement. However, until he can develop a stock, go to shot off the tee he will always be inconsistent and dependent on great wedge play and his putting. It's not his distance off the tee - it's the accuracy and dependability. He's simply got to think more like Nicklaus. Take half the danger out of every shot. If he does, he could become a serious contender every time out for 2 decades. If he doesn't, the inconsistencies will wear him down over time.

Windy conditions and soggy fairways should make tomorrow interesting. This story on DJ is both sad and curious.

Whew, allergies flared up a bit watching that. Who will possibly fill the shoes of the aging golf legends as they pass?

I thought about that myself.

Golf seems to have a problem like baseball in that there is no shortage of young talent but they are not well-marketed or known to the public at large.

Jayson Stark had a good piece on ESPN yesterday where he cited a poll by a marketing firm that had Derek Jeter, who hasn't played a game in 2 1/2 years and is about a decade removed from the prime of his career, as the first baseball player who appeared on a list of the 50 favorite athletes (13th out of 50). The next two baseball players were Babe Ruth (30) and Pete Rose (50).

Tiger is the only golfer who appeared in the top 50, and he hasn't been a relevant player on tour in 4 years and hasn't won a major in 9 years.

Also, let the 2017 Masters forever be known as the year the betting favorite had to WD because he fell down a flight of stairs.

Whew, allergies flared up a bit watching that. Who will possibly fill the shoes of the aging golf legends as they pass?
In a few years , they will have Crenshaw and Tom Watson hit the ceremonial first shots. Maybe Faldo too, if he would do it.

In a few years , they will have Crenshaw and Tom Watson hit the ceremonial first shots. Maybe Faldo too, if he would do it.
I think that Crenshaw and Watson are about the same age, and both 2 time winners. They are about my age of 67.
The next group of 2 time winners were Langer, Seve, and Faldo, and they are around 60. Of course, Seve is no longer with us. I can't think of any other multiple winners (going down in age) to Mickelson, then Woods, but I may be forgetting someone.

I would think that the Masters would want players who have won more than once, but that may not be a requirement.

I think that Crenshaw and Watson are about the same age, and both 2 time winners. They are about my age of 67.
The next group of 2 time winners were Langer, Seve, and Faldo, and they are around 60. Of course, Seve is no longer with us. I can't think of any other multiple winners (going down in age) to Mickelson, then Woods, but I may be forgetting someone.

I would think that the Masters would want players who have won more than once, but that may not be a requirement.
I think Olazabal got 2. Faldo has 3.

I think Olazabal got 2. Faldo has 3.
Forgot about Ollie, but he is just about 50, I think. He would be hitting ceremonial tee shots with Mickelson. I also forgot that Faldo won 3. I remember the playoff with Scott Hoch, and the Greg Norman collapse. I can't remember anything about the third.

Forgot about Ollie, but he is just about 50, I think. He would be hitting ceremonial tee shots with Mickelson. I also forgot that Faldo won 3. I remember the playoff with Scott Hoch, and the Greg Norman collapse. I can't remember anything about the third.

The second Faldo win was a playoff against Ray Floyd. Floyd splashed one on #11 in the playoff.

VN Store

Back