The new NIL norm?

farmdogvol

Vol fan living in Dawg territory
UNLV's starting quarterback just said he is no longer going to play this season due to commitments not being upheld. UNLV was being touted as frontrunner for group of five playoff contender. A starting Notre Dame CB is redshirting after playing 4 games and has said he is going to enter the portal. First it was players shutting it down for bowl games, now it is players shutting it down 4 weeks into the season. Is the this the way it is going to be now in college football? Not good for future of the sport. One rumor is that Heard is out on advice from his agent or others in his camp, could he be next? Ollie Lane was on Dave Hooker's show on Friday and said he expected Heard to play Saturday. Is something going on or is he just spouting the company line that we hear from CJH?

It is the norm for now, but I expect schools to start getting real with players about collective bargaining and contracts. Too much money is wrapped up in retaining talent on your team for folks to just walk out on you. I am sure there are already some guardrails for folks like Nico and Pearce. One thing I have heard is that these NIL deals are structured where if you transfer, you have to pay everything back, so that increases the cost for schools trying to snipe talent.

UNLV reports are saying that the QB was being paid an agreed upon amount, but after their good start he obtained an agent and demanded more from the school to continue playing.

I don't see how anyone can find this enjoyable, but more importantly, I don't see how anyone can run a program like this. Eighty-eight little egos, who you invest countless hours of coaching and money in, who get the benefit of your school and its resources, and who then take that success and extort you with it.

Last edited:
It is the norm for now, but I expect schools to start getting real with players about collective bargaining and contracts. Too much money is wrapped up in retaining talent on your team for folks to just walk out on you. I am sure there are already some guardrails for folks like Nico and Pearce. One thing I have heard is that these NIL deals are structured where if you transfer, you have to pay everything back, so that increases the cost for schools trying to snipe talent.
The schools aren't paying so they can't force a pay back. The issue would be with meeting your commitments once you've transferred to another school.

It’s hard to sue over these agreements because the wording is vague. Either way this kid is going to have to answer some hard questions in interviews in the future.
Then get better lawyers. Hopefully, Tennessee and Spyre are wording these deals with specifics regarding each party’s duty to perform.

Who is going to want him to transfer to their school and the headaches he might bring after this?
I agree. It's a whole new world . . . and it works like the real world as opposed to this amateur fantasy that has been perpetrated the last 30 years while rights fees went through the roof.

Then get better lawyers. Hopefully, Tennessee and Spyre are wording these deals with specifics regarding each party’s duty to perform.

I’m hoping that both sides are. I’m not in favor of anyone getting goat roped. I just hate a world where this kid is on the phone with his agent instead of in class this morning.

Who is going to want him to transfer to their school and the headaches he might bring after this?
This is where I land on this. There will always be outlier examples of this kind of stuff, but I don't think it becomes "the norm". You will see this at smaller places that are skimping by and at bigger places that don't have well-run collectives (see Florida). I think Spyre does a really good job, and outside of a rotten apple here and there, we won't be too affected by this type stuff. I'm sure it will happen, but it is the nature of the sport these days.

Reactions: Vol in Buckeye Land
Hope not. Multiple reports that everything agreed upon was met and after two big upset wins he hired an agent and feels like “his market has changed “.
Of course there are reports (coming from the AD or NIL collective) which affirm they met their commitments. However, the tweet wasnn't worded they way you are doing. It said all "financial commitments" were met. If everything agreed upon was met, I don't know why they would need to specify "financial".

Reactions: titansvolsfaninga
UNLV's starting quarterback just said he is no longer going to play this season due to commitments not being upheld. UNLV was being touted as frontrunner for group of five playoff contender. A starting Notre Dame CB is redshirting after playing 4 games and has said he is going to enter the portal. First it was players shutting it down for bowl games, now it is players shutting it down 4 weeks into the season. Is the this the way it is going to be now in college football? Not good for future of the sport. One rumor is that Heard is out on advice from his agent or others in his camp, could he be next? Ollie Lane was on Dave Hooker's show on Friday and said he expected Heard to play Saturday. Is something going on or is he just spouting the company line that we hear from CJH?
I think it will balance. If it is true an UNLV did indeed fail to me contractual obligations, they will be sued and every recruit in the country will know about it. If it is him asking for more, then no school will touch him and he has effectively ruined his career. As far as Heard...if those rumors are true, he is hurting his own brand and NFL teams will certainly be taking notes. Teams will also adjust NIL contract wording to keep players from playing for choosing to sit out.

Who knows where it goes from here. This certainly isn't the way I thought NIL would be run. I saw it as a way for player to receive money from their endorsements, etc. Maybe revenue sharing remedies some of player's beefs but it will not fix them all. As much as it sucks I think DW's 10% talent fee is the way to go.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Who knows where it goes from here. This certainly isn't the way I thought NIL would be run. I saw it as a way for player to receive money from their endorsements, etc. Maybe revenue sharing remedies some of player's beefs but it will not fix them all. As much as it sucks I think DW's 10% talent fee is the way to go.

I think we should pay the fans to fill the stadium also. They make this all happen. It should be a 10% sales tax increase.

VN Store

Back