The new NIL norm?

Of course there are reports (coming from the AD or NIL collective) which affirm they met their commitments. However, the tweet wasnn't worded they way you are doing. It said all "financial commitments" were met. If everything agreed upon was met, I don't know why they would need to specify "financial".

If there were speculation in the media that financial obligations were not met, when they were met, then why wouldn't that specific wording be appropriate?

It's the same tweet as before.

UNLV is playing damage control. Do you know how much trouble they would be in if it turned out coaches were making monetary offers to recruits and transfers?

We have no clue who is telling the truth. But it's unlikely this kid would risk his football future for this. Meanwhile, we have a ton of evidence of teams around the the country not meeting their NIL promises.

Reactions: Remy and walkenvol
If there were speculation in the media that financial obligations were not met, when they were met, then why wouldn't that specific wording be appropriate?

For one, NIL deals are through a collective, not directly through the school. How can UNLV meet the financial obligations of an NIL deal, when they can't be involved in it?

That's why they worded it that way.

Like it or not, if you agreed to work for $35 per hour and when you got your first check, they paid you only $10 per hour. You think it’s a mistake, go to your supervisor, he laughing in your face, says it’s no mistake, what are you going to do about it? The former UNLV QB demonstrated what anyone with man beans larger than a squirrel’s does about it.

What this will do is for players with only 1 or 2 years of eligibility left will do is before they show up, make sure the NIL check clears first.

Jaden McKinney, CB at Notre Dame is doing the same thing announced 3 days ago

Bear Alexander DT at USC announced yesterday he is also redshirting to go into portal

this happened last year also, players redshirting so they could enter portal. Probably going to continue to increase in numbers.

These kids are SO uninformed it's criminal. Not saying they are here, but apparently at schools all around the country there are similar issues. Somebody should tell this UNLV kid that if he doesn't follow through with agreed upon commitments, or leaves his team hanging... the NFL won't touch you. He MAY be costing himself millions over a couple thousand. So many of these kids don't have the guidance they really need. A lot of these "parents" and "agents" are just looking for the gravy train. It's sad.

Sloka's agent was reaching out prior to the season started about getting the money that was promised him. So UNLV's argument isn't very strong that that he waited till mid-season to shake them down when they were looking like title contenders.

Reportedly, during his recruitment he was promised $10k per month from the OC, and once he was on campus they told him the best they could do was $3k per month.

It's the same tweet as before.

UNLV is playing damage control. Do you know how much trouble they would be in if it turned out coaches were making monetary offers to recruits and transfers?

We have no clue who is telling the truth. But it's unlikely this kid would risk his football future for this. Meanwhile, we have a ton of evidence of teams around the the country not meeting their NIL promises.
So basically you are stating it as a fact that UNLV is in the wrong. THEN you go on to say we have no clue who is telling the truth. I'm not trying to be combative; but that makes zero sense at all my fellow Tennessee Brother.

Kids risk careers all the time. Looks at our former potential star K. Salter; guy was poured into by the program and still messed up.

These kids are SO uninformed it's criminal. Not saying they are here, but apparently at schools all around the country there are similar issues. Somebody should tell this UNLV kid that if he doesn't follow through with agreed upon commitments, or leaves his team hanging... the NFL won't touch you. He MAY be costing himself millions over a couple thousand. So many of these kids don't have the guidance they really need. A lot of these "parents" and "agents" are just looking for the gravy train. It's sad.

If he can play at that level the NFL won't care.

So basically you are stating it as a fact that UNLV is in the wrong. THEN you go on to say we have no clue who is telling the truth. I'm not trying to be combative; but that makes zero sense at all my fellow Tennessee Brother.

Kids risk careers all the time. Looks at our former potential star K. Salter; guy was poured into by the program and still messed up.

I said UNLV is playing damage control, which is true no matter who is in the wrong in this case. There is no chance UNLV was not going to make this statement or something similar. What the QB is alleging would be a major violation by UNLV. So whether UNLV is guilty of these allegations or not, they were always going to deny any wrongdoing.

Regardless of the circumstances, the kid was a fool if he relied on a verbal agreement. Like the Rashada kid with UF, sometimes schools promise more than they can deliver. On the opposite end of the spectrum, if UNLV was getting a shakedown by this kid and his agent, they probably should have cut bait with him immediately. Friction in the relationship between your starting QB and your coaching staff seems like a recipe for disaster.

The truth is likely somewhere in the middle.

Last edited:
This is just normal standard business now. Welcome to paid college football. This is how it rolls, so get use to it. More to come down the road.
IMO, I think all collectives need to end. Players should be paid directly by the school they committed to. The State of Georgia just passed a law that will allow this and others should follow. It will eliminate a lot of the issues we’re seeing now.

For example, if an athlete tries to leverage his play and leave the school, he should have to pay the school back whatever amount was paid to them (or left in the contract). Plus, take the # of games remaining in the season that he’ll miss and make him ineligible the same # of games next season.

This gives the athlete legal protection that the NIL terms/amount are adhered to according to the contract, and the school protection that the scholarship is not wasted and poaching is limited. It may not be the perfect solution but at least it levels the playing field. No pun intended. Lastly, players… don’t accept anything that’s not in writing.

ahem ... the first commitment breached was when somebody representing the institution failed to follow through with the $s. If an NFL owner bounces checks to his players guess how many of them would not take the field?

Curious how this works - if an athlete decides they are going to 'not play' to enter the portal, does the school still owe them the scholarship they may have been getting? And can the school ask for that back since said student did not complete what they signed up for?

With a real job, if I decide not to work, I don't get paid, get no benefits, nothing - that is how the real-world works.

Additionally, a non-athlete who gets a promise type scholarship in the state of Tennessee has to meet the requirements or they lose it. Should be the same for an athlete.

If he can play at that level the NFL won't care.
Oh, they care. Especially when is come to where they are drafted. There are SEVERAL instances of "sure thing" 1st rounders dropping to later rounds because of behavior/attitude issues. Good GM's will 100% take into account all liabilities concerning a prospect.

It’d be hilarious to see an agent get arrested for breaking these laws.
Interesting that the player’s camp is saying “I’m not getting what was promised by the NIL” while the University is saying “we have fulfilled all our scholarship commitments”. As I understand NIL, both these statements could be true since NIL is a separate organization from the University.

We’ve had several reports of NIL Collectives not delivering on their promises with the Florida QB being the highest profile that I recall. Seems very believable that a lower tier program could have their NIL Collective not deliver as the UNLV QB has claimed and this not be a shake down as many on here are assuming it to be.

VN Store

Back