The new NIL norm?

What I see is agents, schools, etc are exploiting the players' youth, inexperience, and utter ignorance of business practices. Making money from it, and either leaving players high and dry, or gravely short-changed. Long live capitalism!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

UNLV's starting quarterback just said he is no longer going to play this season due to commitments not being upheld. UNLV was being touted as frontrunner for group of five playoff contender. A starting Notre Dame CB is redshirting after playing 4 games and has said he is going to enter the portal. First it was players shutting it down for bowl games, now it is players shutting it down 4 weeks into the season. Is the this the way it is going to be now in college football? Not good for future of the sport. One rumor is that Heard is out on advice from his agent or others in his camp, could he be next? Ollie Lane was on Dave Hooker's show on Friday and said he expected Heard to play Saturday. Is something going on or is he just spouting the company line that we hear from CJH?
From what I've heard Tennessee has one of the best NIL programs at upholding commitments. Just saying...

UNLV's starting quarterback just said he is no longer going to play this season due to commitments not being upheld. UNLV was being touted as frontrunner for group of five playoff contender. A starting Notre Dame CB is redshirting after playing 4 games and has said he is going to enter the portal. First it was players shutting it down for bowl games, now it is players shutting it down 4 weeks into the season. Is the this the way it is going to be now in college football? Not good for future of the sport. One rumor is that Heard is out on advice from his agent or others in his camp, could he be next? Ollie Lane was on Dave Hooker's show on Friday and said he expected Heard to play Saturday. Is something going on or is he just spouting the company line that we hear from CJH?
Heard can’t go pro after this year. He is in his 2nd year of college. He would have to transfer and play somewhere else next year.

I don't think you quite understand how NIL deals work. This is not a pay for on-field performance deal. NIL deals are basically endorsement deals for the player. If the player plays or not is not really relevant. He must only meet the requirements of his collective deal in order to get paid, which to my knowledge, have nothing to do with performance.
Without performance requirements, NIL seems like the perfect system for hot players and greedy agents to constantly demand more.

Reactions: Voltopia
A verbal promise isn't worth the paper it's printed on. College athletes are learning about the real world a lot faster than they used to.

This same type thing happened over a Miami QB recruit who was promised a certain amount. Florida promised him more and then did not pay. The kid sued Florida and it was all over the news this spring.

Reactions: McDad
I don't think you quite understand how NIL deals work. This is not a pay for on-field performance deal. NIL deals are basically endorsement deals for the player. If the player plays or not is not really relevant. He must only meet the requirements of his collective deal in order to get paid, which to my knowledge, have nothing to do with performance.
You can call it whatever you want but it is pay for play.

Why would a collective continue to pay a player who is no longer a member of the team they are supporting? Seems like that should be spelled out in the contract.

So, if a player quits or holds out (same thing in my mind), the coach can always cut him from the team and he should no longer get paid in that case.

This is all speculation on my part, if someone has some information on how this actually works, please enlighten us.

Let me know when this guy gets drafted ,then I'll see this as a problem. Players that follow this model will find out that pulling a stunt like this will ultimately destroy their future career chances. The NFL will not tolerate players that quit on the team. Its bad for business.

Reactions: onevol74
Without performance requirements, NIL seems like the perfect system for hot players and greedy agents to constantly demand more.
I just don't know the legality of performance requirements from collective. The collective is supposed to be separate from the school.

Also, it would be a pretty big risk for players/agents to try these shakedowns mid-season. You need leverage. And while a starting QB of a potential playoff teams seems like leverage, you also risk being in a situation where the team decides to move and leaks that you were shaking them down, and now you aren't getting NIL deals from anyone. If that is what this kid did, I doubt he plays for a FBS program again, or if he does, he won't be looking at whatever payday he is giving up with UNLV.

No they aren't. Schools don't pay players NIL deals. The collective does. And unless it is specified in their contract, their payment isn't based on any sort of on field performance (or lack of it). It would be like State Farm trying to sue Pat Mahomes for refusing to play football.
State Farm can legally put a clause in the contract that the unpaid portion of his contract can be suspended/cancelled if he willingly quits playing…..

Reactions: chuckiepoo
What I see is agents, schools, etc are exploiting the players' youth, inexperience, and utter ignorance of business practices. Making money from it, and either leaving players high and dry, or gravely short-changed. Long live capitalism!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So agents are like Politicians, Media, Used Car Salesman and lawyers….

Reactions: chuckiepoo
You can call it whatever you want but it is pay for play.

Why would a collective continue to pay a player who is no longer a member of the team they are supporting? Seems like that should be spelled out in the contract.

So, if a player quits or holds out (same thing in my mind), the coach can always cut him from the team and he should no longer get paid in that case.

This is all speculation on my part, if someone has some information on how this actually works, please enlighten us.

I obviously don't know exactly how NIL deals are written. I've seen some examples that kids have posted online, but no one making serious cash.

But my assumption is that they are written in a way that would void the remaining contract if the player transfers out, gets expelled, or otherwise leaves the university. Stipulations could be that they maintain a permanent address in the area, be available to come in at a moments notice, maintaining a good public image, be enrolled in a school within so many miles of the collective, etc.

From everything I have read about NILs in the NCAA, they cannot be performance based in any way. No escalators if they get a TD or sack. No extra money if the team gets a bowl game, etc.

Last edited:
State Farm can legally put a clause in the contract that the unpaid portion of his contract can be suspended/cancelled if he willingly quits playing…..
They could. They could put a clause in there that they he has say "State Farm" in the huddle at least twice a game. They can request most anything be a clause.

It's doubtful Mahomes would sign anything like that though. And its doubtful any kid would agree to an NIL deal with a collective where they could get sued if they transferred out. But it is very likely that collectives write NIL deals in a way that protects them from future payments should a player leave the program.

Coach Heupel said this when asked about Matthew Sluka and the UNLV situtation:

"NIL is certainly a component of today’s world and landscape of collegiate athletics," Heupel said. "At the end of the day, I think it’s really important that you have the right people in the building that care about their teammates, the guys around them and love competing."

Your only real protection is recruiting the right guys.

Someone else mentioned that it's up to the collective on how they enforce their contracts. So they could theoretically put into place a bunch of impossible stipulations that they have no intention of enforcing should the player make good on his commitment to the program. But if the players leaves, they would have cause to terminate the contract.

Sort of like how dealerships used to "lease" out $50k cars to athletes while they were in school and not receive a single payment in 3-4 years. They could have legally forced them to pay it, but they had no intention of doing so.

Last edited:
So agents are like Politicians, Media, Used Car Salesman and lawyers….
Yeah, all liars, sleazy, manipulators, money-mongers, word twisters, and worse.
Like realtors, many agents work for themselves, not you, goal is to squeeze as
much as possible out of you by hook or crook.

If a player sits out demanding more NIL during a season, any team that contacts that player should be intentionally destroyed every time they see the football field. Kent State every single week. Slaughter them with every single dagger you can stick in their heart. The free transfer part is wild enough; but if you are getting paid the agreed upon amount and then you sit demanding more; you are a POS and shouldn't see the field again. Do that in the off season..

I don't care how many of you defend the athletes.. Look at Auburn, when it all comes down to money; they are the poster child. None of those kids care about AU, they care and ME. Coaches are becoming modern day PreK-12th Grade teachers.. No control, no discipline... you are baby sitting and hoping for the best.

Reactions: onevol74
If a player sits out demanding more NIL during a season, any team that contacts that player should be intentionally destroyed every time they see the football field. Kent State every single week. Slaughter them with every single dagger you can stick in their heart. The free transfer part is wild enough; but if you are getting paid the agreed upon amount and then you sit demanding more; you are a POS and shouldn't see the field again. Do that in the off season..

I don't care how many of you defend the athletes.. Look at Auburn, when it all comes down to money; they are the poster child. None of those kids care about AU, they care and ME. Coaches are becoming modern day PreK-12th Grade teachers.. No control, no discipline... you are baby sitting and hoping for the best.

Man I hate to tell you, but I don't think there's any going back. We're going to reach a point real soon where none of the kids care about any of the schools anymore. Just the size of the paychecks. They'll just be jobs. And the players will engage to the extent they're paid to engage.

There's no use laughing at anyone being extorted over NIL in any situation. Tennessee will get exorted too. Everyone will. That's what unfettered, unregulated pay for play is. And that's where we're headed.

normal is still evolving. This ain't it yet.

Schools paying athletes is still to come. That will bring a lot more problems and unhappy athletes.

I don't think anyone knows how that looks yet but it will be the dynamic that really starts to create a normal. and it impacts not just football but every program a college has.

VN Store

Back