The new NIL norm?

There will always be problems because in the immortal words of Woodsman Vol, “humans gonna human”, but it makes me glad that we apparently have our poop together with Spyre. I hope it stays that way.

Reactions: SAPPER 5
Who knows where it goes from here. This certainly isn't the way I thought NIL would be run. I saw it as a way for player to receive money from their endorsements, etc. Maybe revenue sharing remedies some of player's beefs but it will not fix them all. As much as it sucks I think DW's 10% talent fee is the way to go.

Up until a player wants 15%. And then when you do 15%, someone will want 18%.

This is an escalator with no end - save the eventual change to employee status. And when we get there, the question will have to be - what was the point again?

We'll get there soon. This UNLV guy supposedly extorting the school will get us there sooner.

Up until a player wants 15%. And then when you do 15%, someone will want 18%.

This is an escalator with no end - save the eventual change to employee status. And when we get there, the question will have to be - what was the point again?

We'll get there soon. This UNLV guy supposedly extorting the school will get us there sooner.

You have to be willing to make hard decisions if you want to keep it together. Let him go. If he has something better lined up, then great for him.

Of course there are reports (coming from the AD or NIL collective) which affirm they met their commitments. However, the tweet wasnn't worded they way you are doing. It said all "financial commitments" were met. If everything agreed upon was met, I don't know why they would need to specify "financial".

Noooo. The one I’m quoting wasn’t an official tweet from the university. But that doesn’t mean it wasn’t sent by someone on the University’s side. But it stated word for word “ that he felt like his market value increased “. I’m not particularly taking sides. Just hate it’s come to this.

Reactions: McDad
Noooo. The one I’m quoting wasn’t an official tweet from the university. But that doesn’t mean it wasn’t sent by someone on the University’s side. But it stated word for word “ that he felt like his market value increased “. I’m not particularly taking sides. Just hate it’s come to this.
Yeah. That's the tweet that's been circulating. The first sentenced referenced, met "financial commitments" and the second sentence mentioned his market value increase.

I am pro individual on the first sentence. And pro team on the second sentence.

UNLV reports are saying that the QB was being paid an agreed upon amount, but after their good start he obtained an agent and demanded more from the school to continue playing.

I don't see how anyone can find this enjoyable, but more importantly, I don't see how anyone can run a program like this. Eighty-eight little egos, who you invest countless hours of coaching and money in, who get the benefit of your school and its resources, and who then take that success and extort you with it.
In my experience, bigshots lie, create loopholes and such to screw people over. Whether you're talking about insurance companies, loan agencies, car sales personnel, movie moguls, NIL reps, or whatever. Just look at how Kareem Jabbar was screwed out of millions by his agent with the help of recommended investors as one example among many. So my first reaction is to doubt whatever the UNLV says.

Reactions: Carp
UNLV reports are saying that the QB was being paid an agreed upon amount, but after their good start he obtained an agent and demanded more from the school to continue playing.

I don't see how anyone can find this enjoyable, but more importantly, I don't see how anyone can run a program like this. Eighty-eight little egos, who you invest countless hours of coaching and money in, who get the benefit of your school and its resources, and who then take that success and extort you with it.

I would expect UNLV to make that statement. But this wouldn't be the first time a school collective has promised the moon to get a player, and then failed to deliver.

You are generally not seeing this from schools with good collectives. But it seems many of them operate like pyramid companies, kinda like that knife company that always has ads in the paper hiring salesman.
"Well your base salary is only this, but you have the potential to make up to 5 times your base salary on commissions alone!!!"

Last edited:
This is Change on a huge scale. I suspect the institutions understand and are navigating their way through with updated negotiation, legal, contracts entities.

I’m not sure fans fully grasp the magnitude of the Change.

If they upheld their end of the contract they are well within their right to sue. If they don’t, that tells us something.
No they aren't. Schools don't pay players NIL deals. The collective does. And unless it is specified in their contract, their payment isn't based on any sort of on field performance (or lack of it). It would be like State Farm trying to sue Pat Mahomes for refusing to play football.

Last edited:
Then get better lawyers. Hopefully, Tennessee and Spyre are wording these deals with specifics regarding each party’s duty to perform.
I don't think you quite understand how NIL deals work. This is not a pay for on-field performance deal. NIL deals are basically endorsement deals for the player. If the player plays or not is not really relevant. He must only meet the requirements of his collective deal in order to get paid, which to my knowledge, have nothing to do with performance.

A verbal promise isn't worth the paper it's printed on. College athletes are learning about the real world a lot faster than they used to.
At the same time, UNLV is now down a QB and the reputation of their football program is now tarnished because they are lying to athletes to get them on campus. You can bet that recruits and potential transfers will have this on their minds come signing day. And you can bet their rivals will be using this as a recruiting tool against them.

I don't know why they didn't just pay the kid. $100k for a decent opportunity to be a part of the CFP at the end of the season. Seems pretty straight forward.

At the same time, UNLV is now down a QB and the reputation of their football program is now tarnished because they are lying to athletes to get them on campus. You can bet that recruits and potential transfers will have this on their minds come signing day. And you can bet their rivals will be using this as a recruiting tool against them.

I don't know why they didn't just pay the kid. $100k for a decent opportunity to be a part of the CFP at the end of the season. Seems pretty straight forward.

We don't know which side is telling the truth. The agent could be lying just as easily as the school could be lying.

We don't know which side is telling the truth. The agent could be lying just as easily as the school could be lying.
That's completely true.

But I tend to side with the little guy in cases like this because people with money often take advantage of people without it.

VN Store

Back