The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

View attachment 532549View attachment 532550

I keep seeing takes like this and while I think we have a high ceiling I don't necessarily think we're on that level.. yet.

Ignore all analytics for just a second. Based off the eye test - could this team beat Grants Jr yr's team? Last years team? Lofton's senior yr's team? All of those teams had dudes we knew were going to give you an all-american performance day in and day out. Zakai, Santi, JJJ and JP have moments where they appear can be that guy but consistently? I haven't seen it yet.

Could they? Sure. This defense is on another level than any of those teams, but the offense isn’t where that Grant/Admiral team was, would definitely be interesting to see.

I keep seeing takes like this and while I think we have a high ceiling I don't necessarily think we're on that level.. yet.

Ignore all analytics for just a second. Based off the eye test - could this team beat Grants Jr yr's team? Last years team? Lofton's senior yr's team? All of those teams had dudes we knew were going to give you an all-american performance day in and day out. Zakai, Santi, JJJ and JP have moments where they appear can be that guy but consistently? I haven't seen it yet.
I agree 100%. We're obviously a really good team, but we have chemistry and execution issues (chemistry in the sense that certain lineups are very sensitive). This team has subdued my concerns a few times over the season, but I still consider them inferior to the two squads you mentioned at this time. If this team is clicking, we can beat anyone, no doubt; we haven't done so in every game, and I will need to see us be more consistent before I project a Sweet 16 appearance.

That being said, I think we will be competing for the SEC against Alabama in late Feb/early March (not to say that's a bold take). I'm just having a hard time imagining a good postseason run at this second.

our SEC schedule has been weird this year where it was front loaded with all these awful teams.

Once we’ve played Bama, Ark, Mizzou and Auburn we’ll know a lot more about how we stand.

our SEC schedule has been weird this year where it was front loaded with all these awful teams.

Once we’ve played Bama, Ark, Mizzou and Auburn we’ll know a lot more about how we stand.
This. 5 of our 6 wins have come against teams who are currently 1-6. The other win was Vandy. The schedule will be much more difficult from here on out

Reactions: Willy14
I’m ALL VOL, but I’m not totally all-in on the “this is the best basketball team we’ve had in recent memory” narrative. I sense a lack of a killer instinct and a real driving force to make this theory a reality.

Maybe the best roster. A best team designation would have to come after the season has concluded.

If the last year or two of Ernie-Bernie had had Ashworth as the 6th man or a more experienced Reggie Johnson then it would be hard to argue those weren’t the best rosters. Or even if Kosmalski had one more year and had played with Bernard.

Reactions: cardvolfan

Dilione’s offense could increase the odds of making the Final Four this year. But I think that a tenet of CRB’s defense is that there can be NO WEAK LINKS. If Dilione was thrown into action now then opponents would exploit his defense. Defense travels. It needs to be rock solid to make that elusive NCAAT run.

The comments under this tweet are just as bad. 30% of people admitting that because football is good again they don’t care about basketball. 30% people saying our brand of basketball is boring (I.e. defense over offense) so no reason to watch. 40% of people complaining that this team is another first round exit so why get excited.

I truly hate our fanbase sometimes. #4 in the country and you would think we’re #40. That might explain why the Kentucky atmosphere felt so dead on TV and TBA seems kind of muted this year compared to recent years.

The comments under this tweet are just as bad. 30% of people admitting that because football is good again they don’t care about basketball. 30% people saying our brand of basketball is boring (I.e. defense over offense) so no reason to watch. 40% of people complaining that this team is another first round exit so why get excited.

I truly hate our fanbase sometimes. #4 in the country and you would think we’re #40. That might explain why the Kentucky atmosphere felt so dead on TV and TBA seems kind of muted this year compared to recent years.

Wow, those comments are weak! People think they’ll bow out in March so they’re just gonna bail early? I thought we prided ourselves on being the best fan base? I could see success in football leading to disinterest (among TN fans…), but how could you not appreciate Santi, Zakai, JJJ et al, great group of guys playing great ball!

Wow, those comments are weak! People think they’ll bow out in March so they’re just gonna bail early? I thought we prided ourselves on being the best fan base? I could see success in football leading to disinterest (among TN fans…), but how could you not appreciate Santi, Zakai, JJJ et al, great group of guys playing great ball!

Because we really aren’t the best fanbase. We’ve somehow convinced ourselves that nothing matters before March 1st. Regular season titles don’t matter. Rivalry games don’t matter. None of it matters….apparently.

We’re a bunch of spoiled brats, honestly. I can’t remember the last time TBA felt so lifeless in a season. The fact that our fanbase seems to think a 31-game season is meaningless and not worth enjoying is frustrating.

I’ll wait until I see the vibe at the Texas and Bama games before I render final judgment. It should and better be lit. As for the UK game, playing a team that historically has been viewed as superior when you are supposed to win can lead to a tense crowd.

Last year took a lot out of UT fans. I don’t blame anybody for taking a “wait and see” approach,

Last year took a lot out of UT fans. I don’t blame anybody for taking a “wait and see” approach,

Yeah, it was so tough, went 26-7, won the SEC tournament championship (first in like 33 years), and lost in the 2nd round of the NCAA tournament. Those poor Vol fans. 😪

Neither is Wes.

Reactions: berryvol

VN Store

Back