The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

I did not realize it until I read Will Warren’s game preview just now, but Tennessee has not won in Baton Rouge since March 2015….wow. Hopefully anyone who thought Saturday would be an easy game realizes that place is a House of Horrors for Tennessee even when LSU is really bad.

Anybody who thinks this will be an easy game is new to Tennessee and SEC basketball. I guess ignorance is bliss because they are not nervous about this like us old timers.

I did not realize it until I read Will Warren’s game preview just now, but Tennessee has not won in Baton Rouge since March 2015….wow. Hopefully anyone who thought Saturday would be an easy game realizes that place is a House of Horrors for Tennessee even when LSU is really bad.

I still remember the nightmare way the 2019 game ended. We kind of blew that one, up 9 with about 6:00 left, then in OT had the ball for the last possesion, Turner misses a 3 with about 2 seconds left and Grant fouls on the rebound to give them foul shots to win.

If jjj and Phillips can shoot like they have been lately have to think our best lineup is zz, santi, jjj, Phillips and flavor of the day at the 5. Key providing backup minutes at guard and options in the post based on matchups.

Pretty versatile lineup options, but offensively those 4 played really nicely together today and spacing is really good.

If jjj and Phillips can shoot like they have been lately have to think our best lineup is zz, santi, jjj, Phillips and flavor of the day at the 5. Key providing backup minutes at guard and options in the post based on matchups.

Pretty versatile lineup options, but offensively those 4 played really nicely together today and spacing is really good.

This game is a good example of how much more effective Key looks when he plays his natural position and there is a true PG on the floor.

I was NOT a fan of Olivier playing the 5 when I saw the lineup announced. LSU and KJ Williams pretty much immediately attacked him and went inside early too and I don’t think it was a coincidence.

I think Olivier is a 4. We had some great success with small ball lineups last year and maybe we can again this year too. But I don’t think starting the game with it is effective. Even the Warriors, who had the greatest small-ball lineup in basketball history, didn’t start games with it. They used it strategically and closed many games with it.

It’s amazing how many drive by posters show up after a loss to comment but are nowhere to be seen when we curb stomp a conference opponent on the road!
Not even just a loss, saw posts on the game thread in the first five minutes yesterday about how we are average at best, that we can’t shoot, etc. It’s laughable, then by the end of the game they’ve disappeared.

This game is a good example of how much more effective Key looks when he plays his natural position and there is a true PG on the floor.

I was NOT a fan of Olivier playing the 5 when I saw the lineup announced. LSU and KJ Williams pretty much immediately attacked him and went inside early too and I don’t think it was a coincidence.

I think Olivier is a 4. We had some great success with small ball lineups last year and maybe we can again this year too. But I don’t think starting the game with it is effective. Even the Warriors, who had the greatest small-ball lineup in basketball history, didn’t start games with it. They used it strategically and closed many games with it.
Agreed, we didn’t start games last year with it but was probably our most effective lineup down the stretch. Think we’ll see something similar as the season goes along. A little deeper at post this year, so probably a bit more matchup dependent as well.

Loved the starting lineup and roster moves from CRB for this game with UP out. 15 assists on 29 made baskets while shooting over 50% from 2 pt range and 38% from 3 to go with our smothering defense (held them to 25% from 3 with 19 t/o vs. our 6 t/o) while controlling the boards (34 total rebounds vs. 24)...that combination will win you a lot of games regardless of who and where you play.

Key seemed very comfortable coming in as the 6th man and was very aggressive in looking for his shot attempting the most shots this season and it paid off with 10 pts with and pretty good efficiency (40% from 2 and 40% from 3) plus he turned in his best rebounding game with 7 boards (4 of which were offensive).

ON was given his chances but he had a bit of a short leash in that he only played 17 min (down from his ~25 min per game average) as Aidoo played 20 min (up from ~18 min avg) and Awaka played 12 min (up from 7.5 min avg) - I suspect this will continue going forward.

ZZ is making a compelling case to be the best all-around PG in the SEC...add a double-double to his resume with 12 pts and 10 assists. On the season he is now a 10 and 5 guy (11 and 7 in the SEC). He struggled from 3 (likely due to playing 40 min against State) but brought his normal on-ball pressure and even had 2 blocks!

Have yourself a game Mr. James! We all know JJJ has a history of needing some time to heat up on offense post-injury - let's hope this game shows us he is already there. 22 points on 56% shooting from the field (67% from 3 on 6 attempts) and tied for the lead in rebounds (7) with 3 steals. He led the team in overall +/- and defensive rating (no surprise).

I think this team still has not peaked...look forward to see how we play going forward as we pursue a 1 or 2 seed. GBO!

Edit: Should have noted JP's play as well given how vital it will be to our post-season hopes. He had the 2nd best offensive and defensive ratings on the team and I loved how efficient he was from 3 (2 of 3) while converting 4/4 from the line plus a couple steals. Really need him to score 10+ a game while getting to the line and bringing solid defense as we go forward

Last edited:
It's amazing how many different lineups TN has at its disposal depending on the matchup.

Could this be the year some noise is made in the NCAAT?

We truly have a "Swiss knife" roster which allows us to dial up so many looks based on who we are playing...exciting times for TN b-ball

It wasn’t a coincidence.

It's amazing how many different lineups TN has at its disposal depending on the matchup.

Could this be the year some noise is made in the NCAAT?

That is a great benefit. I also hope to someday have such an overwhelming lineup to put on the floor that opponents will struggle to match up with it. Kind of like the blue bloods just reloading every year and then bring in a couple of “6th” men to shake things up as needed.

Reactions: PandamoniumReigns
e.jpgee.jpg

I keep seeing takes like this and while I think we have a high ceiling I don't necessarily think we're on that level.. yet.

Ignore all analytics for just a second. Based off the eye test - could this team beat Grants Jr yr's team? Last years team? Lofton's senior yr's team? All of those teams had dudes we knew were going to give you an all-american performance day in and day out. Zakai, Santi, JJJ and JP have moments where they appear can be that guy but consistently? I haven't seen it yet.

Reactions: JelloPuddinPup
We’re 16-3 and ranked #4 in all of college basketball. Enjoy it, savor it. Relish it and be proud. We’re in rarified air after some of our missteps from the past. I want to win it all….badly. However, I’m not going to let the naysayers tell me that what I’m experiencing RIGHT NOW is not special. It is special.

VN Store

Back