The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

How do you guys think Uros could do against Edey of Purdue? Is Uros strong enough to keep Edey from getting his desired low post position?

He's our best chance at stopping Edey, I know that. And we'd need him to play 25 minutes.
You can't stop Edey imo. You can only hope to contain him. Another option would be hoping Awaka is stout enough as a freshman to push him away from the rim. Cause if he catches in the paint it’s an easy two.

Edey is probably my favorite player in cbb that’s not a Vol.

Reactions: johnfnkelly
You can't stop Edey imo. You can only hope to contain him. Another option would be hoping Awaka is stout enough as a freshman to push him away from the rim. Cause if he catches in the paint it’s an easy two.

Edey is probably my favorite player in cbb that’s not a Vol.
Edey is 7" taller than Awaka. He'd just shoot over him.

Edey is 7" taller than Awaka. He'd just shoot over him.
Which is why I said push him away from the basket with his strength. Would much rather he have to shoot over Awaka from 10-15 feet. I've seen enough defensively to trust that Tobe can get a decent contest.

Per 40 minutes, ON is only 1.9 points better than Awaka, and Awaka is much more limited in his offensive game since we've seen nothing from him outside of five feet. Still yet, Awaka has impressed me with his post moves and ability to score in the post in his limited minutes. He doesn't look awkward, unsure of himself, or show a lack of confidence posting up and getting a shot. That gives me a ton of confidence in his ability to become a scoring threat in the future. He won't likely ever be a 20 ppg kind of player, but 12 ppg isn't out of the question, and if he expands (or shows) his range at any point, the sky is the limit.

I thinks Jarnell Stokes is a good comp for what Awaka can be given their size and style...here are Jarnell's stats:

2011 game average (per 40 average): 9.6 pts, 3.8 FTA, 7.4 reb, 2.6 off reb (15.0 pts, 6.0 FTA, 11.6 reb)
2012: 12.4 pts, 5.9 FTA, 9.6 reb, 4.2 off reb (17.1 pts, 8.2 FTA, 13.4 reb)
2013: 15.1 pts, 6.2 FTA, 10.6 reb, 4.2 off reb (18.6 pts, 7.7 FTA, 13.1 reb)

Based on this...I would dare say 12 pts may well be the floor for what he can do especially if he continues to get a high %'age of offensive rebounds and improves his free throw stroke (Jarnell was a career 63% shooter and shot ~70% his last year).

The mix of length, speed, physically and fluidity JP has is rarely ever going to be matched in college ball. There's no reason he can't score give you 10 a night just off driving to the rack.

I agree JP has the skillset to be the "go to" guy...his ceiling is very high and he has shown flashes this season.

Per 40 minutes, ON is only 1.9 points better than Awaka, and Awaka is much more limited in his offensive game since we've seen nothing from him outside of five feet. Still yet, Awaka has impressed me with his post moves and ability to score in the post in his limited minutes. He doesn't look awkward, unsure of himself, or show a lack of confidence posting up and getting a shot. That gives me a ton of confidence in his ability to become a scoring threat in the future. He won't likely ever be a 20 ppg kind of player, but 12 ppg isn't out of the question, and if he expands (or shows) his range at any point, the sky is the limit.

Just now seeing this but Awaka doesn't have a huge array of post moves yet but he's so strong he's nearly an automatic bucket when he gets position. I really hope he can turn himself into a 70%+ FT shooter because he's going to be shooting a lot of them during his time in Knoxville.

Just now seeing this but Awaka doesn't have a huge array of post moves yet but he's so strong he's nearly an automatic bucket when he gets position. I really hope he can turn himself into a 70%+ FT shooter because he's going to be shooting a lot of them during his time in Knoxville.
Even though he is 53% from the FT line, he has a decent shooting stroke. I could see him turning into a decent FT shooter and 10 and in/short corner guy like Stokes was (although stokes jumper and offensive game as a freshman was MILES ahead of what Awaka is at this point).

I thinks Jarnell Stokes is a good comp for what Awaka can be given their size and style...here are Jarnell's stats:

2011 game average (per 40 average): 9.6 pts, 3.8 FTA, 7.4 reb, 2.6 off reb (15.0 pts, 6.0 FTA, 11.6 reb)
2012: 12.4 pts, 5.9 FTA, 9.6 reb, 4.2 off reb (17.1 pts, 8.2 FTA, 13.4 reb)
2013: 15.1 pts, 6.2 FTA, 10.6 reb, 4.2 off reb (18.6 pts, 7.7 FTA, 13.1 reb)

Based on this...I would dare say 12 pts may well be the floor for what he can do especially if he continues to get a high %'age of offensive rebounds and improves his free throw stroke (Jarnell was a career 63% shooter and shot ~70% his last year).
Feel like Awaka is more mobile/athletic than Jarnell, but that may just be because JS had boats for feet and always seemed slow footed.

Edit: Still a pretty good comparison overall I think.

Reactions: MinisterofDef#92
Even though he is 53% from the FT line, he has a decent shooting stroke. I could see him turning into a decent FT shooter and 10 and in/short corner guy like Stokes was (although stokes jumper and offensive game as a freshman was MILES ahead of what Awaka is at this point).
Yeah, he has a nice stroke at the line. He started out 1-6 early on, but has made his last 6-7. I’m sure he works hard at his FT’s. He will shoot lots of them in the coming years, I would imagine.

Reactions: berryvol
I did not realize it until I read Will Warren’s game preview just now, but Tennessee has not won in Baton Rouge since March 2015….wow. Hopefully anyone who thought Saturday would be an easy game realizes that place is a House of Horrors for Tennessee even when LSU is really bad.

I did not realize it until I read Will Warren’s game preview just now, but Tennessee has not won in Baton Rouge since March 2015….wow. Hopefully anyone who thought Saturday would be an easy game realizes that place is a House of Horrors for Tennessee even when LSU is really bad.
Yeah, that place is bad news. Nothing is a given.

Well, I'm pretty sure Wade was the coach for all those games and he had some of the best players that money can buy, plus a ref in his pocket. Probably, won't be easy, but I like our chances a lot better

VN Store

Back