The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

There is absolutely nothing in the DNA of our program that says we would go in the dumps after a Final Four run. In fact I think we would almost certainly build off of it. With South Carolina it was actually fairly predictable what would happen.

I agree. I'm just talking surface level. No one would trade our last 7 years for 7 years like SC has had just to experience a F4.

Reactions: Govolsman98
I agree. I'm just talking surface level. No one would trade our last 7 years for 7 years like SC has had just to experience a F4.

Of course not but at some point we just need to stop making excuses and get it done in March. It's important that we do it soon before the window of opportunity closes.

Of course not but at some point we just need to stop making excuses and get it done in March. It's important that we do it soon before the window of opportunity closes.
I don't think anyone disagrees with that. I think the more positive Barnes supporters and overall program supporters just get fed up with it being brought up at every turn in every conversation. Not saying that's you at all. Just saying the strong blowback comes because it's brought so frequently. It just becomes divisive.

I'm fine with it being a regular topic in the off-season and even the post-season, but mid-Dec when we have a close loss or late Jan when we have a bad game and then the drive-by's swing through with "typical Barnes", etc. Just annoying.

I agree that we'd all like to see it, but as has been said before, it's not like the inability to advance further in March is unique to Barnes. We've literally had one other coach go one round further than Barnes has one single time in our school's history. It's rarified air, and I can't explain it. I couldn't explain it with Pearl, either.

And quite honestly, aside from the F4 run at Auburn, Pearl only has two other appearances in the NCAAT at Auburn in 7 tries. On paper, his postseason success isn't really all that more remarkable than Frank Martin's was at USCe.

So while we'd all love to see more success, deeper runs, and sniff our first F4, at some point you have to just admit that it's hard, and it takes a lot of balls bouncing the right way to make it happen. We've just been on the unlucky side of a lot of those, and it happens to a lot of good coaches every year. It isn't really about making excuses. It sucks, and I think we all can agree that we want to see better results, but we have no control over it.

It’s like I’ve said 100x, does a ref swallowing his whistle on the Turner foul at the end against Purdue suddenly make Barnes one of the better coaches ever because he’d have made an E8 here? Drawing a line in the sand of E8 or further is just so shortsighted when trying to determine if someone is a good/great coach, or if you’re going to support someone or not.

It’s like I’ve said 100x, does a ref swallowing his whistle on the Turner foul at the end against Purdue suddenly make Barnes one of the better coaches ever because he’d have made an E8 here? Drawing a line in the sand of E8 or further is just so shortsighted when trying to determine if someone is a good/great coach, or if you’re going to support someone or not.

That should have been a good no call.

As I said before, Tennessee has been on the very end of bad luck in the NCAA Tournament.

Had that been one of the blue bloods in that moment, that foul would have never been called.

Honestly, it’s stupid the Pearl clutches hang that Elite 8 over Barne’s head considering he’s had almost the same amount success in the Big Dance as Pearl.

Reactions: berryvol
I agree that we'd all like to see it, but as has been said before, it's not like the inability to advance further in March is unique to Barnes. We've literally had one other coach go one round further than Barnes has one single time in our school's history. It's rarified air, and I can't explain it. I couldn't explain it with Pearl, either.

And quite honestly, aside from the F4 run at Auburn, Pearl only has two other appearances in the NCAAT at Auburn in 7 tries. On paper, his postseason success isn't really all that more remarkable than Frank Martin's was at USCe.

So while we'd all love to see more success, deeper runs, and sniff our first F4, at some point you have to just admit that it's hard, and it takes a lot of balls bouncing the right way to make it happen. We've just been on the unlucky side of a lot of those, and it happens to a lot of good coaches every year. It isn't really about making excuses. It sucks, and I think we all can agree that we want to see better results, but we have no control over it.
I read a good article yesterday on Pearl’s FF run. Of course, advanced metrics was able to tell us about the “whys” to that run, and basically it was a combo of a team playing well with a big dose of good luck. Way too many variables in a “short season” that make what would seem the norm, based on season’s results, the exception a good percentage of time. As @JelloPuddinPup mentioned, it’s just a nonstop avalanche too often. If lady luck had smiled just a wee bit on us the last several years, there’s a decent chance we make 2 FF’s in that timeframe.

I read a good article yesterday on Pearl’s FF run. Of course, advanced metrics was able to tell us about the “whys” to that run, and basically it was a combo of a team playing well with a big dose of good luck. Way too many variables in a “short season” that make what would seem the norm, based on season’s results, the exception a good percentage of time. As @JelloPuddinPup mentioned, it’s just a nonstop avalanche too often. If lady luck had smiled just a wee bit on us the last several years, there’s a decent chance we make 2 FF’s in that timeframe.
This. I still think we make the FF in 2019 if we get past purdue. We matched up perfectly with Virginia. I’d have been suicidal if BP had beaten us in our first FF tho lmao

Also not making excuses, but the teams that “don’t make it to the 2nd weekend” include the #17, 18, 19, 20, etc finishers in the NCAAT. Outside of Barnes, TN hasn’t really been ranked that high all that often in any regular season. And those that were are considered all time great teams.

It’s almost like some have Barnes on the hot seat and will demand he’s replaced if there’s anything less than a Sweet 16 THIS YEAR. While TN is having its best run of being in the AP top 10 EVER.

Also not making excuses, but the teams that “don’t make it to the 2nd weekend” include the #17, 18, 19, 20, etc finishers in the NCAAT. Outside of Barnes, TN hasn’t really been ranked that high all that often in any regular season. And those that were are considered all time great teams.

It’s almost like some have Barnes on the hot seat and will demand he’s replaced if there’s anything less than a Sweet 16 THIS YEAR. While TN is having its best run of being in the AP top 10 EVER.

Just gotta enjoy the ride.

I feel like that was put in many of the articles they did, no? Do they have to continue to repeat that?

Where has he confirmed that he wanted to sit out and redshirt? You keep pushing this narrative but I’ve scoured all the quotes he’s given and have found nothing you’re talking about. Just about how it was a mutual decision to enroll early, not redshirt

Where has he confirmed that he wanted to sit out and redshirt? You keep pushing this narrative but I’ve scoured all the quotes he’s given and have found nothing you’re talking about. Just about how it was a mutual decision to enroll early, not redshirt
He retweeted a writer who quotes himself on his own Twitter feed:

News sentinel article…

"I think it’s huge, I do,” Vols coach Rick Barnes said on Jan 2. "It’s been going on in football forever. The fact that he and his family decided they wanted to do it. I think it’s going to really help him a lot. Gives him a big head start on things.

RTI article…

“We had talked about, he had a chance he could possibly come this year if he wanted to,” Barnes said. “But he decided, the family decided, they wanted to go to school and go from there. I think he’s had a good experience, but just in his mind, where he is right now, he and his family decided it would be better that they get here and get going.

Charlotte Observer Article…

“It was mutual between the family and I,” Williams said. “It’s good for Freddie to go and get a jump start with coach (Rick) Barnes.”

And also multiple mentions on VQ and 247 from local guys that stated multiple times that this was family and staff decision.

News sentinel article…

"I think it’s huge, I do,” Vols coach Rick Barnes said on Jan 2. "It’s been going on in football forever. The fact that he and his family decided they wanted to do it. I think it’s going to really help him a lot. Gives him a big head start on things.

RTI article…

“We had talked about, he had a chance he could possibly come this year if he wanted to,” Barnes said. “But he decided, the family decided, they wanted to go to school and go from there. I think he’s had a good experience, but just in his mind, where he is right now, he and his family decided it would be better that they get here and get going.

Charlotte Observer Article…

“It was mutual between the family and I,” Williams said. “It’s good for Freddie to go and get a jump start with coach (Rick) Barnes.”

And also multiple mentions on VQ and 247 from local guys that stated multiple times that this was family and staff decision.

All those are just talking about enrolling early, not talking about redshirting

As far as the NCAAT and Barnes is concerned.....

I think most fans would be more gracious if UT were to just go as far as their seeding alludes. If it is seeded in 1-4, making the SS would suffice. If seeded at 2 or 3, getting bounced
in first or second round is close to disgraceful.

All those are just talking about enrolling early, not talking about redshirting
No they’re not, one of them specifically mentions how the staff talked to him and his family about coming in this year and playing but they felt this was the better option for him.

As far as the NCAAT and Barnes is concerned.....

I think most fans would be more gracious if UT were to just go as far as their seeding alludes. If it is seeded in 1-4, making the SS would suffice. If seeded at 2 or 3, getting bounced
in first or second round is close to disgraceful.
All these Tennessee athletic programs are just disgraceful!

There’s no quote that says that
That’s what this quote is saying, you have to intentionally be being obtuse to not use the other quotes/context and get that…

They are saying they had discussed him coming in and playing this year if he wanted to, but the family decided they wanted to go to school (HS) and go from there, and now feel like coming here and a head start on next year is the best move.

That’s what this quote is saying, you have to intentionally be being obtuse to not use the other quotes/context and get that…

They are saying they had discussed him coming in and playing this year if he wanted to, but the family decided they wanted to go to school (HS) and go from there, and now feel like coming here and a head start on next year is the best move.

I’m not being intentionally obtuse. I think you’re inferring a lot from that quote that’s not there. he’s just talking about enrolling early, not redshirting.

VN Store

Back