The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

This. I still think we make the FF in 2019 if we get past purdue. We matched up perfectly with Virginia. I’d have been suicidal if BP had beaten us in our first FF tho lmao

If that kid doesn't hit the miracle shot at the end of the Loyola game in 2018, who knows how far THAT team might have gotten? Of course we would end up drawing the Team of Destiny that year.

Reactions: berryvol
I think both of these things can be simultaneously true: that Rick Barnes is an excellent basketball coach, a Hall of Famer, and has elevated UT's basketball program to consistent success. And also that Rick Barnes' weak career NCAA tournament record is a black mark on his resume and will always be unless/until he goes on a FF (or beyond) run with UT.

Of course there’s this quote from Barnes as well “He’s not going to play,” Tennessee head coach Rick Barnes said earlier this month. “He won’t play this year. He’s coming in to get himself ready for next year.” So unless you also infer all the quotes from Dilione & “family” that there wasn’t communication between to 2 sides or blatant lying then clearly all parties are on board with the redshirt plan.

As far as the NCAAT and Barnes is concerned.....

I think most fans would be more gracious if UT were to just go as far as their seeding alludes. If it is seeded in 1-4, making the SS would suffice. If seeded at 2 or 3, getting bounced
in first or second round is close to disgraceful.
Last year, the baseball team was seeded to win the whole thing and they lost in super regionals, basically equivalent to the Sweet 16. Fahr Vitello I guess

Second time he's seen it, too. 😄

Dillione retweeted this. If he objected to it he had a perfect chance to respond to it right then.
Not only that but it’s also quoted and has his name, meaning that quote came directly from Freddie…like I said, intentionally obtuse.

Not only that but it’s also quoted and has his name, meaning that quote came directly from Freddie…like I said, intentionally obtuse.

I’m not being intentionally obtuse. I see where you’re getting that from Biancardi tweet. Every other quote has only referred to enrolling early and not redshirting.

I think we just need to accept that a certain portion of our fanbase wants Dillione to play so badly that they are going to just assume his family must have been tricked into getting Freddie on campus under false pretenses! Clearly the evil Rick Barnes conned Freddie into coming to Tennessee early. Muahahahaha. 😈

Last edited:

What about this?

I don't understand why there is any controversy here. There are several pieces of information indicating that FD is coming in early to redshirt and prepare for next year. I've not seen anything supporting that he wanted to play right away. Further, joining the team in the middle of the season and playing is not something that is common in college basketball, especially for a team ranked #4 in the nation with a deep rotation.

More football recruits than not enroll early in the Spring to get a head start when they're not even in season. It is less common in basketball, likely due to scholarship limits, but conveniently we have a slot open. I appreciate FD for getting started early and I hope it pays off for him and for us.

I’m not being intentionally obtuse. I see where you’re getting that from Biancardi tweet. Every other quote has only referred to enrolling early and not redshirting.
But Barnes also directly says redshirting, and mentions staff and family having communicated etc etc. so unless you just think they’re all lying to each other then everyone knew the plan and was on board. And then add in Freddie himself saying the plan is to redshirt and it’s all quite clear imo.

I think we just need to accept that a certain portion of our fanbase wants Dillione to play so badly that they are going to just assume his family must have been tricked into getting Freddie on campus under false pretenses! Clearly the evil Rick Barnes conned Freddie into coming to Tennessee early. Muahahahaha. 😈

I seem to recall you being pretty excited about him playing this season. 😂

I don't understand why there is any controversy here. There are several pieces of information indicating that FD is coming in early to redshirt and prepare for next year. I've not seen anything supporting that he wanted to play right away. Further, joining the team in the middle of the season and playing is not something that is common in college basketball, especially for a team ranked #4 in the nation with a deep rotation.

More football recruits than not enroll early in the Spring to get a head start when they're not even in season. It is less common in basketball, likely due to scholarship limits, but conveniently we have a slot open. I appreciate FD for getting started early and I hope it pays off for him and for us.

The controversy to the extent there is with Twitter users is that they see Tennessee struggling to score for large stretches many games, then they see tweets that Dillone looks great offensively and running the point, and they think he should play. I've generally found the loudest mouthed fringe of any fanbase is who you'll see there.

The controversy to the extent there is with Twitter users is that they see Tennessee struggling to score for large stretches many games, then they see tweets that Dillone looks great offensively and running the point, and they think he should play. I've generally found the loudest mouthed fringe of any fanbase is who you'll see there.
Except that’s perception, not reality.

Basilio so far has said 4 times that Awaka is only 17 years old. “Can you believe he is only 17?”.

No. I can’t. He turns 19 next week according to utsports dot com.
  • Born Jan. 30, 2004, in Poughkeepsie, N.Y.
The game commentators said he was 17 tonight - guess Basilio is running with it?

Basilio so far has said 4 times that Awaka is only 17 years old. “Can you believe he is only 17?”.

No. I can’t. He turns 19 next week according to utsports dot com.

Born Jan. 30, 2004, in Poughkeepsie, N.Y.

It's ridiculous. He's running with what was said in the broadcast without fact-checking. It took me 30 seconds or less to debunk that idea when I heard it during the broadcast.

VN Store

Back