The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

Tennessee, statistically, has FOUR of the 25 best players in the entire country. I know there is this narrative we don’t have “the guy” in March that can single-handedly win you a game, but do you really need THE guy if you have this many great players? It is a team sport after all.

I would argue being on this list means you are “thE guy”.

Maybe we just have so many guys it appears we don’t have any?

Reactions: berryvol
Tennessee, statistically, has FOUR of the 25 best players in the entire country. I know there is this narrative we don’t have “the guy” in March that can single-handedly win you a game, but do you really need THE guy if you have this many great players? It is a team sport after all.

So long as you have a lead late that doesn’t become a huge issue, and not saying it will/would, but stopping us when we are so balanced is tough…I think it also makes scheming up a final play defense against us tough because there’s not 1 clear cut guy that we likely are going to, at the same time we don’t have a proven guy that’s hit those shots either, so double edged sword. But being as balanced as we are (please Nkamhoua be consistent), is a nightmare for opposing coaches.

So long as you have a lead late that doesn’t become a huge issue, and not saying it will/would, but stopping us when we are so balanced is tough…I think it also makes scheming up a final play defense against us tough because there’s not 1 clear cut guy that we likely are going to, at the same time we don’t have a proven guy that’s hit those shots either, so double edged sword. But being as balanced as we are (please Nkamhoua be consistent), is a nightmare for opposing coaches.
I’ve always believed anytime you have more than 1-2 guys you’re willing to go to in the clutch, the better your chances of getting that big bucket. Think about WHO you want to take that shot. Vescovi, ZZ, Josiah, Key, Phillips, ON…..we have great options across the board. I really like this team.

I think some of these walk-ons just want to get some Barnes coaching before going to a smaller school.

I guarantee you the 2 years Drew Pember (even though he wasn't a walk-on) was here has helped him more than if he had went straight from HS to UNC Asheville

Last edited:
I’m honestly convinced that national writers just don’t watch Tennessee basketball and aren’t even aware we exist sometimes. This list…..YEESH. Wendell Green 😂

Especially when you consider...ZZ is having himself a special year

1st in SEC in total assist at 108
2nd in SEC in total steals at 48
2nd in SEC in assist per game at 5.1
2nd in SEC in steals per game at 2.3
3rd in SEC in WS at 3.6 (Brandon Miller and Oscar Tshiebwe only two ahead of him)

He keeps this up he's gotta be first team All-SEC at PG imo

3rd in SEC in WS at 3.6 (Brandon Miller and Oscar Tshiebwe only two ahead of him)

Honestly, I’m not sure any other PG in the SEC has a case ahead of him.

Sahvir Wheeler averages more assists, but falls significantly behind in nearly every other category. Terry Roberts has him in points and FG%, but lags elsewhere. Wendell Green has him points but is terribly inefficient shooting the ball and is a TO machine.

Wow, who is ahead of him in steals?

Wow, who is ahead of him in steals?

D'Moi Hodge from Missouri, has 2 more total steals and is at 2.4 a game.

Wheeler is ahead in assist per game at 5.5, but he's played less games.

Of the top 5 in assist ZZ has far less TOs than the rest except for Wheeler

ZZ: 108 assists to 47 turnovers
Wheeler: 105 assists to 38 turnovers
Green: 90 assists to 65 turnovers (yikes)
Roberts: 87 assists to 61 turnovers
Taylor: 84 assists to 53 turnovers

None of those other guys are in the top 5 for steals, and only Taylor and Roberts are in the top 10 for steals. I also think some of the TOs that ZZ is responsible for were really bad hands by a few of our bigs earlier in the season. And these stats I'm looking at are based on the entire season not just in SEC play.

Just in SEC play ZZ would separate himself more.

10.9 ppg, 7.3 apg, 2.8 rpg, 2.4 spg
38.9% FG, 34.1% 3PT 94.4% FT

with 58 assists vs 17 turnovers

Honestly, I’m not sure any other PG in the SEC has a case ahead of him.

Sahvir Wheeler averages more assists, but falls significantly behind in nearly every other category. Terry Roberts has him in points and FG%, but lags elsewhere. Wendell Green has him points but is terribly inefficient shooting the ball and is a TO machine.
And in the next 1-2 games Zeigler likely surpasses Wheeler for assists numbers

And in the next 1-2 games Zeigler likely surpasses Wheeler for assists numbers

I sure hope so! Would be amazing to see him finish the season with over 6 apg. (would need 186 total assist in 31 games to accomplish that).

So about 7.8 a game for the next 10 games and he'll end the regular season at 6 per game.

It's my birthday today. I can remember Reggie Johnson's senior year and Dale Ellis' whole career at UT. But, not Bernard until he was in the NBA. How old am I ?

VN Store

Back