The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

Is there a single college basketball writer that doesn’t suck at their job? Like, just one? How can you cover this sport professionally and not drop Alabama a single spot in your daily rankings after a 25-point thrashing to 11-9 Oklahoma in Norman?

Basically saying they had a big enough lead that a bad loss didn’t have anyone catch them, they still have #2 resume, many folks agree with that take right now fwiw.

Basically saying they had a big enough lead that a bad loss didn’t have anyone catch them, they still have #2 resume, many folks agree with that take right now fwiw.

Based on his own logic, Tennessee has 2 wins over Top 10 teams in his own rankings. And a loss to the #7 team on the road. Our worst loss by 11 in November to Colorado. Alabama’s “good loss” to UCONN doesn’t look so “good” right now and now has one of the worst losses by the AP #2 teams to an unranked team in CBB history.

I’m not sure there is any justification that I can personally buy that keeps them at #2. I understand his quadrant argument, but that seems to overly simplify things. Tennessee has 2 Q1 losses and 1 Q2 loss. That one Q2 loss makes our resume that much worse than Alabama? I just can’t buy that.

Based on his own logic, Tennessee has 2 wins over Top 10 teams in his own rankings. And a loss to the #7 team on the road. Our worst loss by 11 in November to Colorado. Alabama’s “good loss” to UCONN doesn’t look so “good” right now and now has one of the worst losses by the AP #2 teams to an unranked team in CBB history.

I’m not sure there is any justification that I can personally buy that keeps them at #2. I understand his quadrant argument, but that seems to overly simplify things. Tennessee has 2 Q1 losses and 1 Q2 loss. That one Q2 loss makes our resume that much worse than Alabama? I just can’t buy that.

isn’t he a Memphis graduate? Probably explains it

Something random - I know there was some chatter about Jefferson eventually transferring before the season started. He seems fully bought in, from the limited time we have seen him. He’s always up and cheering on the bench and seems to be uplifting his teammates and serving as a hype man in pregame warmups and postgame locker room videos. Hopefully he will stick around and let Barnes mold him. I think he can be very good here with his athleticism and shooting ability.

Something random - I know there was some chatter about Jefferson eventually transferring before the season started. He seems fully bought in, from the limited time we have seen him. He’s always up and cheering on the bench and seems to be uplifting his teammates and serving as a hype man in pregame warmups and postgame locker room videos. Hopefully he will stick around and let Barnes mold him. I think he can be very good here with his athleticism and shooting ability.

I think the transfer talk was just the typical lame portions of our fanbase who hate Barnes looking for a reason to knock him. I don’t think there was ever any signals or indication that Jefferson was unhappy with his decision. I mean if I’m DJ I would support it. He wasn’t going to play this year with how loaded we are on the wing, so why waste a year of eligibility for a handful of minutes here or there?

I think the transfer talk was just the typical lame portions of our fanbase who hate Barnes looking for a reason to knock him. I don’t think there was ever any signals or indication that Jefferson was unhappy with his decision. I mean if I’m DJ I would support it. He wasn’t going to play this year with how loaded we are on the wing, so why waste a year of eligibility for a handful of minutes here or there?
Yeah, I couldn’t remember who was saying it was a possibility, just that a few people mentioned it. Preseason basketball talk around here does rarely seem to come to fruition, for better or worse.

I think he can be an absolute stud. He’s clearly gifted, clearly superior athletically, and is so silky smooth. I tend to spend way too much time watching him pregame. I’m like a 5-year old kid when he walks into his den Christmas morning.

Reactions: berryvol
He’s a Top-50 recruit and an athletic freak of nature. We’re not going to run him off. Not exactly how you upgrade on a talent like that.

I didn't say we were. I was just pointing out that it's not always the players choice to the people wondering why a player might choose to leave.

I think he did the “One Fly We All Fly” dunk on College gameday, which was a nice gesture

Parrish is big on KenPom and the quadrant records. Our quadrant 1 record is a little behind others, but the rest of our schedule will give us chances to make it better. My one criticism is that we are better than Houston all the way around, even in what he emphasizes.

Analytics say otherwise. I’ll take numbers over “feelings” any day of the week.

Hate to say it, but the quadrant records do not. Bama is 6-3 in Q1 and 11-3 in Q1 and Q2. We are 4-1 in Q1 and 7-3 in Q1 and Q2. Bama’s SOS is also much better right now. I get the argument for now, but the good thing is that we play them.

Hate to say it, but the quadrant records do not. Bama is 6-3 in Q1 and 11-3 in Q1 and Q2. We are 4-1 in Q1 and 7-3 in Q1 and Q2. Bama’s SOS is also much better right now. I get the argument for now, but the good thing is that we play them.
I might be too simplistic, but I tend to look at who KenPom and Barttorvik consider the best.

Does it really matter since we play them in 3 weeks on our court? proof is in the pudding.

Brandan Miller is very scary. Will JJJ be guarding him?

I might be too simplistic, but I tend to look at who KenPom and Barttorvik consider the best.

Certainly something to take into consideration, but those don’t take into account of wins/losses. Of course, over time, your efficiency numbers won’t be good if you lose a bunch of games. But, your record isn’t really included. I believe the NET uses one or both of these in their formula.

Reactions: cardvolfan

Bama also has 11 Q1&Q2 wins to our 7…so they have better wins and more of them, and same number of losses but better losses. I’m not saying I agree with his take, but that seems to be his logic.

Analytics say otherwise. I’ll take numbers over “feelings” any day of the week.
I’m not saying I agree, just saying what he’s using to justify it. Analytic rankings of teams don’t always line up with resumes, Purdue is widely considered the #1 overall seed based on resume and yet no analytics actually think they’re the best team.

Reactions: cardvolfan
Bama also has 11 Q1&Q2 wins to our 7…so they have better wins and more of them, and same number of losses but better losses. I’m not saying I agree with his take, but that seems to be his logic.
I think they probably deserve to be ranked ahead of us. That said, if we go off last week’s rankings, we should jump them. Main thing here? The AP rankings are terrible and useless.

If this was the end of the season, and we were seeding teams based on resume I would agree with his verdict. But I just think it’s extremely silly to have daily rankings and to not have a team that loses by 24 points (and was down by 30 at one point) move a single spot. Tennessee barely lost to Kentucky and we got moved down 4 spots because of that “bad loss” in his eyes. I don’t even think any of the teams he moved ahead of us after that loss had unequivocally better resumes than us either. It just seems like inconsistent application of his own criteria and it reeks of his anti-Tennessee bias that he has always had because he’s a Memphis graduate. He’s had us ranked lower than almost every other basketball writer/pollster all season.

If this was the end of the season, and we were seeding teams based on resume I would agree with his verdict. But I just think it’s extremely silly to have daily rankings and to not have a team that loses by 24 points (and was down by 30 at one point) move a single spot. Tennessee barely lost to Kentucky and we got moved down 4 spots because of that “bad loss” in his eyes. I don’t even think any of the teams he moved ahead of us after that loss had unequivocally better resumes than us either. It just seems like inconsistent application of his own criteria and it reeks of his anti-Tennessee bias that he has always had because he’s a Memphis graduate. He’s had us ranked lower than almost every other basketball writer/pollster all season.[/QUOTE
If this was the end of the season, and we were seeding teams based on resume I would agree with his verdict. But I just think it’s extremely silly to have daily rankings and to not have a team that loses by 24 points (and was down by 30 at one point) move a single spot. Tennessee barely lost to Kentucky and we got moved down 4 spots because of that “bad loss” in his eyes. I don’t even think any of the teams he moved ahead of us after that loss had unequivocally better resumes than us either. It just seems like inconsistent application of his own criteria and it reeks of his anti-Tennessee bias that he has always had because he’s a Memphis graduate. He’s had us ranked lower than almost every other basketball writer/pollster all season.
I understand “resumes”, analytics, etc, but sometimes there has to be reasonability. We can cherry-pick almost any factor in whatever our argument might be to convince people we’re right, but that particular argument just doesn’t fly, except in his own mind.

VN Store

Back