The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

Do you think it would be fair to say you've displayed some erratic emotional swings in between our big wins and our losses in regards to this team? I feel like I've noticed it and I think that is potentially why BTO posed his question like he did.
Correct. And not just him to be fair, but he’s one of the regulars and respectable posters, so it’s why I asked him.

Respectable. Hey, you feel how you feel. I can appreciate the fact that you took that in stride and didn't immediately get defensive. Solid response.

I just want to see this team succeed. I want to see Barnes breakthrough. I know his time is running out so the losses hurt more.

I’m mostly hot and cold on this team because of the quality of losses. It’s been frustrating. I didn’t get upset in the slightest after Arizona. Probably wouldn’t have been upset with a loss to Texas either. I just double-checked and last year I don’t think we lost to a single team that was unranked at the time. Can’t remember if TTU was ranked in MSG or not. So, in that regard, the losses have contributed some to my emotional swings because it’s weird to think we can beat the two best teams in the Big 12 with ease, but we can let Colorado and Florida make us look like a high school team lol.

Correct. And not just him to be fair, but he’s one of the regulars and respectable posters, so it’s why I asked him.
Isn't that what message boards are for? So we can talk about a one seeds after a win and talk about firing the coach after a loss. Seriously, fans are gonna vent sometimes. Why are some people so insecure that they can't handle an ounce of negativity?

Reactions: mr.checkerboards
Isn't that what message boards are for? So we can talk about a one seeds after a win and talk about firing the coach after a loss. Seriously, fans are gonna vent sometimes. Why are some people so insecure that they can't handle an ounce of negativity?

I mean to be fair I have self-admitted several times that I get emotional during the games like any hardcore fan does and to just ignore half the things I say in game threads because I’m fired up. I definitely like to vent my frustrations on this board after big losses, but I could admittedly do better to not let 2-3 bad games change my opinion about the team.

Reactions: berryvol
I think winning 11 games under Heupel has spoiled a good majority of the fan base.

Anytime this team loses, they lose their sh* t but a lot of them don’t realize that the game of basketball is way too unpredictable compared to football.

Rarely do teams ever go undefeated in college basketball.

Reactions: Lankykong
I mean to be fair I have self-admitted several times that I get emotional during the games like any hardcore fan does and to just ignore half the things I say in game threads because I’m fired up. I definitely like to vent my frustrations on this board after big losses, but I could admittedly do better to not let 2-3 bad games change my opinion about the team.

True, some may vent in other ways but if they are emotionally vested it's happening. I'll be the first to admit that I have gone stupid on here when we are playing terrible. It's what a fan or phanatic does.

Reactions: TheMookieMonster
This is probably stretching the topic further than where it’s at but I’ve always thought sports was a great avenue for humans’ worst attributes and instincts. It’s bad to be emotionally volatile (“Fahr Barnes!” after every big loss), tribalistic (“I hate those hillbilly Kentucky fans who live 60 miles from me”), or to have a persecution complex (ESPN hates us, the game was rigged, etc) in real life. Sports offers a way to get those out of one’s system in a pretty much harmless arena. So I give people grief sometimes for being dumb on here, but I myself have been dumb and honestly better here than somewhere where it really matters.

I think today's game will be a defensive struggle and that's a concerns. Pearl could pull out a game like this.

I think we matchup decently well against Auburn. Should be a victory.
You think so? They worry me a bit, I feel like they’re similar to the teams that have given us trouble…a good 5 that can score and defend, shotblocker, likely just guard our posts 1-1 and they have the athletic and long enough guards to run us off the 3pt line and give our guards some trouble.

Reactions: Govolsman98
I just want to see this team succeed. I want to see Barnes breakthrough. I know his time is running out so the losses hurt more.

I’m mostly hot and cold on this team because of the quality of losses. It’s been frustrating. I didn’t get upset in the slightest after Arizona. Probably wouldn’t have been upset with a loss to Texas either. I just double-checked and last year I don’t think we lost to a single team that was unranked at the time. Can’t remember if TTU was ranked in MSG or not. So, in that regard, the losses have contributed some to my emotional swings because it’s weird to think we can beat the two best teams in the Big 12 with ease, but we can let Colorado and Florida make us look like a high school team lol.
Certainly a valid point. The losses aside from Arizona, have been inexplicable. UK wasn't totally crazy given the talent on that team. It just seemed out of place because they had struggled, it was Chris Lofton day, and we were rolling. We just have a slim margin of error offensively. We have to show up to a degree. We can't have our entire team take nights off on that end of the floor.

You think so? They worry me a bit, I feel like they’re similar to the teams that have given us trouble…a good 5 that can score and defend, shotblocker, likely just guard our posts 1-1 and they have the athletic and long enough guards to run us off the 3pt line and give our guards some trouble.

I think Pearl thrives in these muddied up games where basketball skill becomes secondary. This game has the potential to become that.

Wendell Green, KD Johnson, and Zep Jasper are 5-11, 6-0, and 6-1, respectively. 5-11 is probably extremely generous for Green. Athletic for sure, but not what I'd call lengthy guards. Flanigan probably guards JJJ or Phillips.

Wendell Green, KD Johnson, and Zep Jasper are 5-11, 6-0, and 6-1, respectively. 5-11 is probably extremely generous for Green. Athletic for sure, but not what I'd call lengthy guards. Flanigan probably guards JJJ or Phillips.
Yea I could’ve been specific, not much size at PG, but they’ve got size at 2-4 that we could/have struggled with imo.

Do you think it would be fair to say you've displayed some erratic emotional swings in between our big wins and our losses in regards to this team? I feel like I've noticed it and I think that is potentially why BTO posed his question like he did.

Definitely, and it's because so many jump to extremes. If we lose, then we're going to lose in the first weekend of the NCAAT and "Barnes will be Barnes". If we win then "ESPN HATEZ US AND DON'T SHOW US NO RESPECT!!!"

One can be ticked off at the performance Wednesday night and not jump to the tired Barnes bashing cliches at this point, or even think it says anything concrete about the team overall.

I think we will win the turnover and rebound battle significantly, and I think Green will struggle and he is kinda their key to success.

Coming off a loss and being at home helps too imo.

Definitely, and it's because so many jump to extremes. If we lose, then we're going to lose in the first weekend of the NCAAT and "Barnes will be Barnes". If we win then "ESPN HATEZ US AND DON'T SHOW US NO RESPECT!!!"

One can be ticked off at the performance Wednesday night and not jump to the tired Barnes bashing cliches at this point, or even think it says anything concrete about the team overall.

Since your responding to a post about me, I’ll just say I want to make it clear I have never once bashed Barnes, insulted Barnes, asked for him to be fired, called him washed, or really generally ever said a single negative thing about him as the coach of the Tennessee Volunteers. I’ve also never said ESPN hates us, and I have pushed back on that narrative on other boards pretty frequently and been a ring leader of the “ESPN doesn’t hate us” bandwagon. We had GameDay three times during football season and Kirk Herbstreit said a lot of great things about us but our fans seem to think both have a vendetta against us.

I’ve admitted that I should not let 2-3 bad games affect my opinion of the team, but I’ll push back on the idea I have ever said “Barnes will be Barnes” or that ESPN hates us. Just not true. I can be skeptical about whether or not this team is the team to get it done without hating Barnes.

The game threads are fair game IMO (maybe I’m just saying this bc I do the same sometimes lol). Who amongst us hasn’t had a freak out 5 mins into a game in the game thread?

VN Store

Back