The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

Definitely, and it's because so many jump to extremes. If we lose, then we're going to lose in the first weekend of the NCAAT and "Barnes will be Barnes". If we win then "ESPN HATEZ US AND DON'T SHOW US NO RESPECT!!!"

One can be ticked off at the performance Wednesday night and not jump to the tired Barnes bashing cliches at this point, or even think it says anything concrete about the team overall.

Beano (Jeff Henderson) on Tony Basilio's show, Friday, said something a lot of us have been saying, and I was surprised to hear it come from anyone on Tony's show.

He said that so many of our fans have programmed themselves to expect Barnes to flame out in the postseason that it completely inhibits their ability to enjoy the regular season because every loss, no matter how few, immediately draws them to believe it's a preview of how we'll flame out in March. And he's absolutely correct. In a 30-game season, every team in the country is going to put up a few stinkers. We aren't immune to it, Kansas isn't, Purdue isn't, Alabama isn't. Our fans just view ours as doomsday events because they think it's a sign of things to come. No one panicked when Bama lost by 30+.

Beano (Jeff Henderson) on Tony Basilio's show, Friday, said something a lot of us have been saying, and I was surprised to hear it come from anyone on Tony's show.

He said that so many of our fans have programmed themselves to expect Barnes to flame out in the postseason that it completely inhibits their ability to enjoy the regular season because every loss, no matter how few, immediately draws them to believe it's a preview of how we'll flame out in March. And he's absolutely correct. In a 30-game season, every team in the country is going to put up a few stinkers. We aren't immune to it, Kansas isn't, Purdue isn't, Alabama isn't. Our fans just view ours as doomsday events because they think it's a sign of things to come. No one panicked when Bama lost by 30+.
Context is obviously key here but Oats also has a losing NCAA tourney record too

Since your responding to a post about me, I’ll just say I want to make it clear I have never once bashed Barnes, insulted Barnes, asked for him to be fired, called him washed, or really generally ever said a single negative thing about him as the coach of the Tennessee Volunteers. I’ve also never said ESPN hates us, and I have pushed back on that narrative on other boards pretty frequently and been a ring leader of the “ESPN doesn’t hate us” bandwagon. We had GameDay three times during football season and Kirk Herbstreit said a lot of great things about us but our fans seem to think both have a vendetta against us.

I’ve admitted that I should not let 2-3 bad games affect my opinion of the team, but I’ll push back on the idea I have ever said “Barnes will be Barnes” or that ESPN hates us. Just not true. I can be skeptical about whether or not this team is the team to get it done without hating Barnes.

I actually didn't mean you, I meant the extreme posters who show up and some of the regulars who seem to overreact to losses.

If anything I think you are more like me than anyone else on here. I get pretty negative and emotional when we are losing and have even said some things that I backed off when I cooled down.

I actually didn't mean you, I meant the extreme posters who show up and some of the regulars who seem to overreact to losses.

If anything I think you are more like me than anyone else on here. I get pretty negative and emotional when we are losing and have even said some things that I backed off when I cooled down.

I figured that was the case lol. But, just wanted to make clear I in fact do not want Barnes fires and I want him to retire a Vol.

Purdue's new commercial is excellent. Forget classroom footage, which could be filmed at basically every school in the country, and a whole bunch of feel good words about what the world needs. A commercial markets your school, and in Purdue's case showcasing basketball makes a bunch of sense in terms of eliciting enrollment.

Tennessee should go back to this commercial, which is 100x better than the generic garbage we have now interspersed with a few campus and game snippets.

Purdue's new commercial is excellent. Forget classroom footage, which could be filmed at basically every school in the country, and a whole bunch of feel good words about what the world needs. A commercial markets your school, and in Purdue's case showcasing basketball makes a bunch of sense in terms of eliciting enrollment.

Tennessee should go back to this commercial, which is 100x better than the generic garbage we have now interspersed with a few campus and game snippets.
That older commercial is cooler but I have a friend who dated a girl featured in the new commercial so I always like to share that trivia when the commercial comes up

The worst part about our back to back shooting woes? We get to try and fix them at Memorial on Wednesday - the worst sight lines in the SEC. Will be the first game I attend this season, hopefully I can will us to a victory.

They’ve been saving all of the offense this season just for you. Vols score 90.

Reactions: berryvol
So obviously the offensive game plan was to get Olivier involved early and it just didn’t work. I think it was worthy of trying.

I think we should try and get Phillips more touches and iso plays.

I think we should run more actions to get Santi mid-range shots. He has been money on those this year.

So obviously the offensive game plan was to get Olivier involved early and it just didn’t work. I think it was worthy of trying.

I think we should try and get Phillips more touches and iso plays.

I think we should run more actions to get Santi mid-range shots. He has been money on those this year.
Another level to your first point - Cardwell being out meant they were extremely thin at the 5. I think we tried to get Broome in foul trouble early but not only was ORN avoiding contact and fading back, the refs were also letting both sides play until someone bleeds. We didn’t adjust quick enough, obviously, but gotta think that was a lot of the rationale and reasoning for the early effort and struggles down low.

Reactions: Lankykong

VN Store

Back