The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

My point was simply that overall it’s down, so comparing to years past isn’t really apples to apples at this point, so many of them already have 6 losses like we do. You’re talking 4-5 B12 teams in that range, they are going to suffer losses as they beat up on each other in the regular season and then B12 tourney as well.
And just like that bottom feeder Texas Tech beats projected 2 seed Texas

The national champion might have double digit losses this year. But if the refs stop defenders from absolutely mugging Edey every time he touches the ball near the basket then Purdue should roll through the field.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
The national champion might have double digit losses this year. But if the refs stop defenders from absolutely mugging Edey every time he touches the ball near the basket then Purdue should roll through the field.
A team getting hot from 3 in an uptempo style will do it as well, I’m of the belief Purdue is going out sooner than expected. Yes Purdue has some guys that hit 3’s, but imo that’s actually what beats you, not Edey shooting 63% from the field. You make him work as hard as you can on both ends, don’t double off him which leaves their shooters open and take your chances on him scoring 35-40 and you hitting some shots.

A team getting hot from 3 in an uptempo style will do it as well, I’m of the belief Purdue is going out sooner than expected. Yes Purdue has some guys that hit 3’s, but imo that’s actually what beats you, not Edey shooting 63% from the field. You make him work as hard as you can on both ends, don’t double off him which leaves their shooters open and take your chances on him scoring 35-40 and you hitting some shots.

Agreed. I’m not a believer in Purdue. I could be proven wrong, but they remind me a lot of last year’s Kentucky team. They have the best player in the league (Tshiebwe) but young guards. Not exactly a recipe that inspires confidence for me in March. I think they get bounced in the Sweet 16.

They’re very average when Edey is neutralized. But I think that he can carry them into the Final Four with 4 straight without too much trouble. I guess if they have an opponent that is able to turn it into a 94 foot game he’d be far less effective.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
What do you guys think about giving Key more time off the ball? Let Zeigler and Vescovi handle PG duties and Zeigler being able to drive and kick out to either Vescovi or Key would be pretty good I think. I also think after last game that we should see that small lineup a bit more. I would love to see Zeigler-Vescovi-Key-Phillips-Olivier. I do however think that Awaka deserves to keep getting more playing time. Especially if Olivier keeps struggling. Hopefully Phillips and JJJ are healthy enough to play against Alabama, but if not I would play the small lineup with Mashack and Awaka quite a bit.

Reactions: SoilVol
They’re very average when Edey is neutralized. But I think that he can carry them into the Final Four with 4 straight without too much trouble. I guess if they have an opponent that is able to turn it into a 94 foot game he’d be far less effective.
Someone’s gonna try something unorthodox and I’m here for it…an early round LM/MM isn’t gonna have anyone that can come close to stopping him, and doubling him is a bad strategy as well for them. If I’m a 16 seed or 2nd round MM I’m starting 5 small guards and bombing away from 3. However I’m making Edey chase around guards for 20 seconds every time down the floor on the defensive end and spacing them out, if there’s a lane drive it and maybe you get a cheap foul or two on him, but make him work defensively and great chance you are gonna get great looks from 3 against them. Just have to hope you hit about 45% of them because he’s obviously gonna get his if you’re playing that small.

What do you guys think about giving Key more time off the ball? Let Zeigler and Vescovi handle PG duties and Zeigler being able to drive and kick out to either Vescovi or Key would be pretty good I think. I also think after last game that we should see that small lineup a bit more. I would love to see Zeigler-Vescovi-Key-Phillips-Olivier. I do however think that Awaka deserves to keep getting more playing time. Especially if Olivier keeps struggling. Hopefully Phillips and JJJ are healthy enough to play against Alabama, but if not I would play the small lineup with Mashack and Awaka quite a bit.
That’s what we have been doing, go back and watch, Key has been off ball much more of late…when ZZ is out it’s been Santi bringing the ball up mostly, not Key.

I got burned out watching in the 80s or 90s when a dominant big was pretty much a ticket getting punched to the FF. Sampson. Ewing. Hakeem. Shaq (he might not have had a FF), Bowie (70s), Turpin, etc. But it’s been so long it’s kind of fun to see it again. This time with the 3-point line and shot clock. The freakish bigs kind of faded away with those two rules in place.

Is Sears Bama’s primary PG? Bradley and Quinerly both average slightly more assists. Bradley is 6’3” and the others 6’1”. I hope that ZZ can out-quick them.

I think he’s also entering the game with a much more aggressive mindset, but yes I think that has helped him too, much more natural for him.
I think he could be Key for us down the stretch pun intended lol. In all seriousness though he can be a pure scorer if we let him. Honestly in crunch time I wouldn’t mind seeing him take some important shots. Dude just has that calm mindset that good basketball players should have.

Since the Vols have been playing up and down to their opponents for the most part, I'm guessing we play well tomorrow and possibly pull out the W.

Is Sears Bama’s primary PG? Bradley and Quinerly both average slightly more assists. Bradley is 6’3” and the others 6’1”. I hope that ZZ can out-quick them.
He starts, so maybe he is in Oats’ mind, but Quinerly gets to the rim like nobody’s business. Bradley is something, too. I think Oats uses them interchangeably and that trio of guards might be the best there is.

Reactions: Thunder Good-Oil
Yes and no. Sears and Bradley will both split time taking the ball up the court when they’re in the game. Bradley and JQ are much more pass first guards than Sears. Sears will go off the ball plenty and look to get to his spots and openings in the corner. He can catch and shoot better than anyone else on their roster.

Reactions: Thunder Good-Oil
Responding to imbecile negavols by bashing our other teams is extremely wrongheaded, my friend. Don't go Cal vs Stoops self-destructive on us.

And it appears, in addition, that you don't read the football forum because you would see the same style idiots waiting for a chance to pounce.

All for one and one for all.
Agree. No, I don't read the FF, but I do read the RF and saw plenty of that. I'm a Vols fan in every sport, but I live and die with basketball, football and baseball. I've very happy with all the coaches in those 3 sports. Probably was an uncalled for, cheap shot at JH and TV, tho. Sh!t happens.

Reactions: Orange.
Agreed. I’m not a believer in Purdue. I could be proven wrong, but they remind me a lot of last year’s Kentucky team. They have the best player in the league (Tshiebwe) but young guards. Not exactly a recipe that inspires confidence for me in March. I think they get bounced in the Sweet 16.
This, their big is really good, but everything else is kinda meh.

VN Store

Back