The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

Idk why this loss is getting to me but dammit it is. I’ve held off on tossing the season in the trash for a month or so but this one feels like exactly what we can expect next week. Just getting old. It’s not even a Barnes thing, it’s just a Tennessee thing. We are cursed lol

We are losing R64. I’ve been optimistic all season. Today did it for me. We’ve been ass on defense since ZZ went out. If this team can’t defend well, they simply aren’t any good.

I'm also expecting we don't stay long. Making the S16 would be a small miracle, but I'm betting we lose R64.

I'm not trying to go negaVol and all but I just don't expect anything from team.

Idk why this loss is getting to me but dammit it is. I’ve held off on tossing the season in the trash for a month or so but this one feels like exactly what we can expect next week. Just getting old. It’s not even a Barnes thing, it’s just a Tennessee thing. We are cursed lol

Probably because we’ve pissed down our leg in every single close game this year and lost them all. Kansas and Texas were blowouts. Arkansas was a blowout. Alabama we led by 10 late. Outside of Maryland, this team has not won any close games. That isn’t exactly fun to watch when you know if it’s close in the final few minutes you have zero hope that your team will win.

Probably because we’ve pissed down our leg in every single close game this year and lost them all. Kansas and Texas were blowouts. Arkansas was a blowout. Alabama we led by 10 late. Outside of Maryland, this team has not won any close games. That isn’t exactly fun to watch when you know if it’s close in the final few minutes you have zero hope that your team will win.
I had a sliver of hope w 3 mins left in this one and then Mizzou hit the b2b threes. That drained all hope for the season as a whole for me.

Reactions: MinisterofDef#92
No report, literally don’t have the energy to deal with it and want to put it together, quick thoughts…

-Santi is playing out his ass the last few weeks, he’s shooting so well, from way deep too, he’s really leaving it all out there.

-We miss ZZ, duh, not sure why anyone thought we wouldn’t (calling you out @CAVPUT), we have been horrendous defensively and can’t handle ball pressure offensively or create any defensively at the point of attack.

-The offense has improved last few weeks, in large part to an improved 3pt%, however increased turnovers without ZZ and now an average defense and that’s not a great combo. This team has to get back to playing elite, or close to it defense, they aren’t going to be able to win many games where they give up 75+.

-Feels like a 4 seed is more likely than a 3, but who knows with the committee, don’t see us getting a 5 seed but I suppose crazier things maybe have happened.

-JJJ yesterday makes the claim that this team will go as the seniors go, well…Nkamhoua 11 & 10, Key 16 & 5, 17 & 3…JJJ 3pts on 1-7fg. It’s time dude, this team has to have you, you’ve been able to put together 4-5 good games in a row before, well now it the time to do it again.

And we worked hard to find a way to lose that one.

we have not been a good 4th quarter team this year. I’ll agree with that.

I’ve had a generally positive outlook all year, but since ZZ went down, I’ve seen something that concerns me.

We’ve gotten great offensive production out of Vescovi in both this loss and our loss to Auburn. Generally speaking, we rarely, if ever lose games where he shoots well. It’s concerning.

Reactions: berryvol
No report, literally don’t have the energy to deal with it and want to put it together, quick thoughts…

-Santi is playing out his ass the last few weeks, he’s shooting so well, from way deep too, he’s really leaving it all out there.

-We miss ZZ, duh, not sure why anyone thought we wouldn’t (calling you out @CAVPUT), we have been horrendous defensively and can’t handle ball pressure offensively or create any defensively at the point of attack.

-The offense has improved last few weeks, in large part to an improved 3pt%, however increased turnovers without ZZ and now an average defense and that’s not a great combo. This team has to get back to playing elite, or close to it defense, they aren’t going to be able to win many games where they give up 75+.

-Feels like a 4 seed is more likely than a 3, but who knows with the committee, don’t see us getting a 5 seed but I suppose crazier things maybe have happened.

-JJJ yesterday makes the claim that this team will go as the seniors go, well…Nkamhoua 11 & 10, Key 16 & 5, 17 & 3…JJJ 3pts on 1-7fg. It’s time dude, this team has to have you, you’ve been able to put together 4-5 good games in a row before, well now it the time to do it again.

All good points. This team goes as JJJ goes. Not just the seniors. We haven’t won many big games where he throws up a clunker. I can’t say I have many expectations for next weekend. I guess it depends on the draw, but this team just isn’t showing me anything that says they can make that run.

Reactions: berryvol

Hmmm...don't recall saying we wouldn't miss ZZ, but with this teams performance of late combined with a healthy dose of bourbon, there's always a chance my old brain posted something so stupid. Hell, I might even call it likely in my case.

Hmmm...don't recall saying we wouldn't miss ZZ, but with this teams performance of late combined with a healthy dose of bourbon, there's always a chance my old brain posted something so stupid. Hell, I might even call it likely in my case.
You claimed we were going to be better defensively, which I strongly refuted…we definitely have not been.

You claimed we were going to be better defensively, which I strongly refuted…we definitely have not been.
Now I remember. You're right and I was wrong. Thought Keys height would make us more of a challenge which in hindsight was stupid. I'm also on record as wanting one of those small, super quick PGs that buzz around making life hell for opponents. Guess it was wishful/hopeful thinking....or maybe early senility? Where's the damned salt and pepper for my crow....again. I live with a pretty damned limited menu of late.

Now I remember. You're right and I was wrong. Thought Keys height would make us more of a challenge which in hindsight was stupid. I'm also on record as wanting one of those small, super quick PGs that buzz around making life hell for opponents. Guess it was wishful/hopeful thinking....or maybe early senility? Where's the damned salt and pepper for my crow....again. I live with a pretty damned limited menu of late.

So, you like small, super-fast PGs that buzz around and make life hell for opponents like…. Zakai Zeigler?

Feels like we’re definitely a 4 unless we get penalized real harshly for the Zakai injury, which is possible. Should at least be well rested. Really hope we can at least get out of the first round
We really should be penalized harshly for no ZZ. We are so vulnerable without him. It makes a huge difference.

So, you like small, super-fast PGs that buzz around and make life hell for opponents like…. Zakai Zeigler?
That was my point. I wanted that type and somehow felt we'd be better off with a taller, slower guard in his place. My thought process was...well...I wasn't thinking.

I'm also expecting we don't stay long. Making the S16 would be a small miracle, but I'm betting we lose R64.

I'm not trying to go negaVol and all but I just don't expect anything from team.
Without ZZ, I honestly would consider this team making it to the second weekend the normal equivalent of that Grant, Admiral, Bone team making the Final Four.

Without ZZ, I honestly would consider this team making it to the second weekend the normal equivalent of that Grant, Admiral, Bone team making the Final Four.

Honestly….same. I just think it’s going to be a mighty struggle to win two games. We look to be getting much worse defensively and that’s our bread and butter. We don’t score like Mizzou and Alabama. So, if we don’t have defense….what do we have?

Maryland was basicly a meltdown that we got away with

Honestly….same. I just think it’s going to be a mighty struggle to win two games. We look to be getting much worse defensively and that’s our bread and butter. We don’t score like Mizzou and Alabama. So, if we don’t have defense….what do we have?
For those old enough, and bitter enough, to remember, this season has played out almost exactly like the 2000-01 season, Jerry Green's last in Knoxville. The circumstances are different, but the results are eerily similar.

That 00-01 team started 17-2, sky seemed to be the limit, and then tanked to finish the regular season 4-7, going 21-9, overall. They then went 1-1 in the SECT at Bridgestone Arena in Nashville, and culminated a very disappointing year with a 1st-rd loss to Charlotte in the NCAAT.

That team was an 8-seed, so I don't necessarily expect a potentially 4-seed Tennessee to lose to a 13-seed, but nothing seems automatic for this bunch, especially without ZZ.

Depending on matchup, wouldn’t mind going zone some in the tournament. Have a lot of length on the court at the guard spots, seemed pretty effective yesterday.

Mizzou was too good of shooting team to try it out again, but without the ball pressure of zz, might be helpful especially if mashack gets in foul trouble.

VN Store

Back