The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

Mashack seemed to be really off on defense, compared to where he usually is. I am encouraged by the offensive growth but he’s gotta be able to play well at both ends of the court

Definitely not a lot to be encouraged about heading into next weekend. Yes, Missouri shot very well today, but lots of teams in March are going to shoot the 3-ball and Missouri shooting well had a lot to do with our bad defense and wasn’t just a fluke.
We are losing R64. I’ve been optimistic all season. Today did it for me. We’ve been ass on defense since ZZ went out. If this team can’t defend well, they simply aren’t any good.

Reactions: Govolsman98
This is just like 2021. Thankfully, I made a metric eff load of money betting Oregon State that year. I will do the same this season.

We are losing R64. I’ve been optimistic all season. Today did it for me. We’ve been ass on defense since ZZ went out. If this team can’t defend well, they simply aren’t any good.

if we run into a hot shooting team, we can absolutely lose in R64. But I think it's more likely that we lose in the 2nd round to a 6 or 7 seed.

Reactions: UTFanHades
if we run into a hot shooting team, we can absolutely lose in R64. But I think it's more likely that we lose in the 2nd round to a 6 or 7 seed.
I mean we’re not playing a 7 seed second round, that’d mean we were a 2. I think we’ll play a 5 seed second round as a 4

Reactions: berryvol
Mashack seemed to be really off on defense, compared to where he usually is. I am encouraged by the offensive growth but he’s gotta be able to play well at both ends of the court
Yeah the late three coming out of the TO where he almost fouled out was bad. Mizzou didn't do anything special and both guys on that side of the floor sagged off hard. It looked like Shak was going to switch and whoever else it was played straight up.

Reactions: Vol49er
When you are team that relies on defense and the opposing team makes 10 threes and shoots over 50% from the floor, chances are you’re going to take an L.

I think this team can still advance in the tournament, but getting out of the first weekend seems unlikely at this point. Our biggest strength has looked pretty average in the games since ZZ’s injury.

I’m just over this team. The seniors don’t have a shred of consistency, they can’t even take care of the ball or play decent defense without ZZ out there to hold their hands. I hope they all move on after this year, we need some fresh blood.

When you are team that relies on defense and the opposing team makes 10 threes and shoots over 50% from the floor, chances are you’re going to take an L.

I think this team can still advance in the tournament, but getting out of the first weekend seems unlikely at this point. Our biggest strength has looked pretty average in the games since ZZ’s injury.
To make a run we need a team that is as offensively challenged as we are. Id rather play Virginia than Oral Roberts with this team.

Reactions: berryvol
I’m just over this team. The seniors don’t have a shred of consistency, they can’t even take care of the ball or play decent defense without ZZ out there to hold their hands. I hope they all move on after this year, we need some fresh blood.
I want Santi back, but the rest (including JJJ) can go.

Definitely not a lot to be encouraged about heading into next weekend. Yes, Missouri shot very well today, but lots of teams in March are going to shoot the 3-ball and Missouri shooting well had a lot to do with our bad defense and wasn’t just a fluke.
If you go watch auburn game and Missouri you’ll see majority of 3’s came off turnovers or getting beat off the dribble, no Zeigler emphasis those things. And to think some thought we’d be better defensively without ZZ

If you go watch auburn game and Missouri you’ll see majority of 3’s came off turnovers or getting beat off the dribble, no Zeigler emphasis those things. And to think some thought we’d be better defensively without ZZ

Agreed. Turnovers were a huge problem. We don’t handle ball pressure well at all.

I’d take Santi back but I won’t be crying if he’s gone. This group has underachieved as much as lofton/J. Smith’s teams have. It’s just time to move on from all of them.
I think after some time passed you wouldn’t say that. Vescovi played well today, I’d have him back in a heartbeat
As far as underachieving, I’ll wait to see how the ncaa tourney turns out. I will say, I always had way higher hopes for the Grant/Admiral core than for this core, and as far as postseason success you could argue this core is better depending on how much you value an SEC tourney championship vs a S16. So idk. I’ve just never thought a team with Scov/JJJ as its engines could be an elite team. I do think Scov in particular is a fantastic complimentary player though. Slot him into the SG spot on the 2018-19 team and whew

I mean……yes. Trust your veterans. We may have escaped the half with a lead but feels like we missed a huge opportunity to not extend the lead when Mizzou was struggling.

Yeah I second this. Never a fan of sitting folks the entire half with just two. And, both players ended the GAME with just those two fouls 🙃

I mean……yes. Trust your veterans. We may have escaped the half with a lead but feels like we missed a huge opportunity to not extend the lead when Mizzou was struggling.

It goes back to the Purdue S16, one of my bigger complaints. You have to trust your veterans in these tournament games. Play them.

I’ve thought about this a lot, and I’m on board with all of them leaving with the exception of Santi. I think he’s going to end up being one of those guys who we don’t realize just how good he was until he’s gone.

I like JJJ, but the guy just doesn’t have any dog in him. He shrinks in the big moments and doesn’t have a consistent offensive game. Olivier…I’m sure he’s a good guy, but holy smokes I don’t think there has ever been a player that frustrates me more than him. Low basketball IQ, disappearing for several games in a row…it’s best for both parties that he leaves. As for Uros, he just doesn’t offer much aside from a big body.

I think after some time passed you wouldn’t say that. Vescovi played well today, I’d have him back in a heartbeat
As far as underachieving, I’ll wait to see how the ncaa tourney turns out. I will say, I always had way higher hopes for the Grant/Admiral core than for this core, and as far as postseason success you could argue this core is better depending on how much you value an SEC tourney championship vs a S16. So idk. I’ve just never thought a team with Scov/JJJ as its engines could be an elite team. I do think Scov in particular is a fantastic complimentary player though. Slot him into the SG spot on the 2018-19 team and whew
Last year is the bigger disappointment of the two. I understand that Michigan was an awful matchup for us, but we were better than them almost everyday but that day. Honestly, the game today kinda reminded me of the Michigan game: we played awful 1h and still had the lead at halftime. Turn around and drop a massive shat in the 2H.

That said, I’d def take Santi back off his skill. I’m mainly expressing I want to move on to the next era of UT hoops. This one has been spectacularly mediocre. Let’s see if the next guys can do better.

Reactions: vol94 and Vol49er

VN Store

Back