The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

We are a lot like a Maryland or Texas A&M right now who are around 20th on KenPom, not great on either end of the court, probably Top 35-40 on both ends. The defense has to come back, the turnovers have to stop and you have to hope the offense stays. Get back to a Top 3 defense and keep playing Top 35 offense and you can make some noise.
Turnovers and easy run outs are really hurting our defense right now. Not saying it’s as good as it was, but I bet we’re giving up 10 ppg more on turnovers/runouts than with zz. Fix that and think we look like a really good defensive team again.

Call me crazy, and maybe I am, but I think this team has one last run in them. We haven't seen them truly with their backs against the walls knowing you're one loss away from your season being over. With the veterans on this team, you hope one (or more) besides Vescovi can step up. Vescovi, James, and ORN have to be your “dogs”.
Keys had some solid games the last month of the season. I think he could go on a run in the tourney

Something to keep in mind since there has been a lot of negativity (myself included) about our chances in this tournament. Granted, I don't these studies can account for injuries to star players, but there is still a chance this skid we're on will mean nothing next weekend.

I agree with this and have said so before, but like you said, that doesn’t account for Zakai’s injury

For any Vol fans who doubt the role of injuries, hope you got to watch first half of Houston/Memphis. It makes a huge difference, especially with all the shuffling Tennessee had to do with multiple starters being out multiple games.

I know we had some offensive inefficiencies, but those injuries hurt us to a point with those, as well.

Reactions: Lankykong
I know Sasser isn't playing, but I've thought all year playing in a weak conference is going to have them ill-prepared for March. I just think they're overrated.

I thought so the last couple of seasons and they got me in the brackets. I'll probably have them out to at least the EE this year unless they have a really bad draw. Sampson is a very good floor coach. Not elite but very good.

I know Sasser isn't playing, but I've thought all year playing in a weak conference is going to have them ill-prepared for March. I just think they're overrated.

2019 - sweet 16
2021 - final four
2022 - elite 8

Way too many examples of mid majors making runs to read anything into conferwnce depth impacting ncaa success.
Also see Gonzaga, etc.

Barnes said the exact same thing after Vandy game. Is it someone trying to make a play or just losing concentration within the moment?

I’m not a coach nor played college ball but don’t understand why a player would leave his man during that situation to allow an open three.

There are some really good mid-majors this year. Whether it’s a 13-seed or 14-seed we play that first round game won’t be easy with how we’ve been playing. Regardless of this season does end, we need a roster shakeup and somewhat of philosophy change, but that feels like asking for a lot this far into Barnes’ career.

I’d like to see Barnes hire an asst who has different offensive sets. Also, we need a couple athletic players who can run the floor and score in transition.

Jerry Stackhouse has done an excellent job this year. Tons of improvement on that Vandy squad. Pains me to say it though.

I loved watching Stack when he played for UNC. He was so athletic and could take over a game.

He has Vandy going into the right direction, so he most likely will have other opportunities in the next two years.

Has to be the toughest region in tournament. Hottest team in the country DUKE, team who just beat the #1 team in the country MEMPHIS, and probably the best team in the country all year PURDUE, and that’s just in OUR side of the bracket! Ridiculous!

VN Store

Back