The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

I fully agree with Mookie on PG being the #1 portal need and that's regardless of who returns.

Aidoo/Awaka/JP/Cade may all benefit more from as many minutes as we can give them next season in the post.

I'd also warn that I still think Julian Phillips is the most likely player to leave that isn't graduating, the only reason it's radio silence is he's going to go through the draft process to see what sort of evaluation he receives.

I'd take Santi back first of the seniors. I think Freddie, DJ, Carr, Mashack all benefit from him being on the team and helping them develop as an example as well as a mentor.
Cade Phillips had some high school injury but idr if it was in his senior year or what any of the details were. Can someone in the know tell me how, if at all, that injury is gonna affect his freshman year?

I fully agree with Mookie on PG being the #1 portal need and that's regardless of who returns.

Aidoo/Awaka/JP/Cade may all benefit more from as many minutes as we can give them next season in the post.

I'd also warn that I still think Julian Phillips is the most likely player to leave that isn't graduating, the only reason it's radio silence is he's going to go through the draft process to see what sort of evaluation he receives.

I'd take Santi back first of the seniors. I think Freddie, DJ, Carr, Mashack all benefit from him being on the team and helping them develop as an example as well as a mentor.
On Phillips, Tony Basilio says that he’s been told that Phillips is 33.3% returning, 33.3% transferring, and 33.3% entering the draft. Tony believes JP definitely declares while retaining his eligibility and gathers feedback, but that his ultimate decision comes down to a currently even outcome of those three options. That seems rather bland and an obvious “duh” statement without taking a hard stance on any outcome, but I figured I’d share all the same. There doesn’t seem to currently be a strong opinion that he’s leaning one way or another coming from anyone.

Cade Phillips had some high school injury but idr if it was in his senior year or what any of the details were. Can someone in the know tell me how, if at all, that injury is gonna affect his freshman year?
Was an ankle or leg iirc, was junior year though, he was full go this senior season at Link Academy.

Yeah it’s definitely a tough one. I would ever so slightly lean Santi for one year, just because you know what you have with him - BJE is a complete unknown and could still transfer later into his career. Having a 5th year guy with the young talent we have next year could really propel the team to the next level, assuming you find 1-2 solid transfer fits. I def wouldn’t fault anyone for saying BJE for the next 3 years though.

I think there's still minutes available for BJE even if Santi comes back - ZZ's not likely to be ready to roll until conference play begins at the earliest, and would likely have to be eased back into the lineup over the course of several games. And even once he's all the way back, I doubt he's gonna play 35-38 minutes a game. Same with SV - Barnes had no choice but to play him that much this year, but I think it was fairly obvious that SV was getting gassed late in games last year.

I think there's still minutes available for BJE even if Santi comes back - ZZ's not likely to be ready to roll until conference play begins at the earliest, and would likely have to be eased back into the lineup over the course of several games. And even once he's all the way back, I doubt he's gonna play 35-38 minutes a game. Same with SV - Barnes had no choice but to play him that much this year, but I think it was fairly obvious that SV was getting gassed late in games last year.
I think a lot of people are being overly cautious with the timeline for ZZ to return. Obviously all recoveries are different, but JQ at Alabama tore his ACL in R64 of the NCAAT last year and was back at near 100% very early this season. ZZ could def be back to near full percent by the time next season starts.

I think a lot of people are being overly cautious with the timeline for ZZ to return. Obviously all recoveries are different, but JQ at Alabama tore his ACL in R64 of the NCAAT last year and was back at near 100% very early this season. ZZ could def be back to near full percent by the time next season starts.
He said August/September was his goal, obviously would be great.

Reactions: berryvol
On Phillips, Tony Basilio says that he’s been told that Phillips is 33.3% returning, 33.3% transferring, and 33.3% entering the draft. Tony believes JP definitely declares while retaining his eligibility and gathers feedback, but that his ultimate decision comes down to a currently even outcome of those three options. That seems rather bland and an obvious “duh” statement without taking a hard stance on any outcome, but I figured I’d share all the same. There doesn’t seem to currently be a strong opinion that he’s leaning one way or another coming from anyone.
If Phillips is draft-ready, then I'm quitting my day job, working on my left-hand layups, and hiring an agent!

Phillips has shown that he can’t shoot the ball consistently. His handles are suspect and he’s not strong enough to attack the rim.

Declaring for the draft or transferring will not fix his problems.

Phillips has shown that he can’t shoot the ball consistently. His handles are suspect and he’s not strong enough to attack the rim.

Declaring for the draft or transferring will not fix his problems.

Are you 6'8" with a ridiculous wing span?

I agree that Phillips could improve a lot with more time here, mainly because the thing he needs most is size/strength and our S&C crew is top notch.

BUT...if he did get drafted it's not like he couldn't still work on his game at the next level, if anything he'd have more time to focus on just basketball. But being here he knows he can get actual court time in 30+ games...next level nothing is guaranteed like that.

Cade Phillips not playing, not even dressed out. Cameron Carr had 5 in quick couple minutes, then turned an ankle. Hasn’t returned yet either.

I’m not sure if he has any connections to the program or not, but our Vol statistician friend Will Warren said he is “leaning yes” on Vescovi returning for one more year. I’ve also seen some other “rumors” circling the internet that it’s trending that direction. TIFWIW. I’m trying to not get my hopes up, but this would be a fantastic outcome if he does give it one last run.

I’m not sure if he has any connections to the program or not, but our Vol statistician friend Will Warren said he is “leaning yes” on Vescovi returning for one more year. I’ve also seen some other “rumors” circling the internet that it’s trending that direction. TIFWIW. I’m trying to not get my hopes up, but this would be a fantastic outcome if he does give it one last run.
He’s seemed to be decently plugged in for the last yearish. I remember him appearing like he was fairly in-the-know about the Yuri situation last year. Maybe he just reads VN, idk lol

He’s seemed to be decently plugged in for the last yearish. I remember him appearing like he was fairly in-the-know about the Yuri situation last year. Maybe he just reads VN, idk lol

Who knows. But, I wouldn’t have brought it to the board if it came from anyone else. He’s also now a guest writer for The Field of 68. He does good work. I would like to think he doesn’t throw that out there online if it wasn’t at least a real possibility.

I’m not sure I’d want to see Santi come back.

Dude has been sh*t on since he’s been here for no reason at all.

He’s played his a$$ off us only to be downplayed by our ignorant fan base.

I’m not sure I’d want to see Santi come back.

Dude has been sh*t on since he’s been here for no reason at all.

He’s played his a$$ off us only to be downplayed by our ignorant fan base.
I want to see him come back because he’s amazing so I can enjoy him being amazing

But I agree a significant portion of our fan base is silly and understands even less about basketball than I do

The other thing about Vescovi is that since he was thrown into the fire in the middle of his freshman year, straight from the airport, he hasn't really had a full career/4 years of play (including camp/preseason), unlike other graduates. (I realize that probably doesn't matter to him and I might just be trying to brainstorm reasons for him to come back because I'd be thrilled to see Santi in orange for one more year).

VN Store

Back