The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

On Phillips, Tony Basilio says that he’s been told that Phillips is 33.3% returning, 33.3% transferring, and 33.3% entering the draft. Tony believes JP definitely declares while retaining his eligibility and gathers feedback, but that his ultimate decision comes down to a currently even outcome of those three options. That seems rather bland and an obvious “duh” statement without taking a hard stance on any outcome, but I figured I’d share all the same. There doesn’t seem to currently be a strong opinion that he’s leaning one way or another coming from anyone.
We really should stop recruiting 5 stars in my opinion. They are not program builders, at least not for UT as one year rentals.

JJJ was the exception and contributed more to the program, despite his inconsistency. Considering our 2 most important players these last 2 years were an unknown Uruguayan and an undersized 3 star from NY and have accomplished a lot. Doesn’t mean we don’t need to upgrade talent and skillset. The group we have coming in next year is solid and probably don’t have any expectations of going pro in 12 months.

We really should stop recruiting 5 stars in my opinion. They are not program builders, at least not for UT as one year rentals.

JJJ was the exception and contributed more to the program, despite his inconsistency. Considering our 2 most important players these last 2 years were an unknown Uruguayan and an undersized 3 star from NY and have accomplished a lot. Doesn’t mean we don’t need to upgrade talent and skillset. The group we have coming in next year is solid and probably don’t have any expectations of going pro in 12 months.

Well, considering the fact that Kennedy Chandler was easily the best player on our team last year and arguably the reason we won the SEC tournament I’d say we should keep recruiting them. You’re not going to have a 100% hit rate on any type of recruit.

Just look at this year’s team compared to last year. Obviously we had some injury issues, I know, but this roster was largely the same as last year and we struggled to score and win close games. Kennedy Chandler was a massive reason why these two years years felt so different. And he’s a 5-star.

Well, considering the fact that Kennedy Chandler was easily the best player on our team last year and arguably the reason we won the SEC tournament I’d say we should keep recruiting them. You’re not going to have a 100% hit rate on any type of recruit.

Just look at this year’s team compared to last year. Obviously we had some injury issues, I know, but this roster was largely the same as last year and we struggled to score and win close games. Kennedy Chandler was a massive reason why these two years years felt so different. And he’s a 5-star.
Yep understand it may be a contrarian position than others take, and I used to get excited about landing 5 stars too, but don’t think it has enhanced our program beyond where we were in 2017-2019 despite the lofty rankings.

Chandler was great especially down the stretch last year, and loved watching him play, but he bolted after one year. Not sure that helps our program with these one year rentals and I personally would like Barnes to change strategies. He was our best player but also arguable that ZZ was our most important player. And at times throughout the entire year Chandler had to be taken out of the game, even at end of game situations as Barnes deferred to Zeigler and Vescovi, because of Chandler’s turnovers and inability to hit FTs.

Springer, K. Johnson, and now potentially Phillips….haven’t helped improve our program to any measurable degree beyond 2017-2019. None of their teams were better than the 2018-2019 squad. Can’t discuss Chandler without the other 5 stars included. Obviously difficult to argue, if we hadn’t recruited them who would have replaced them, but would have been someone who was talented who could have given us multiple years.

Don’t understand the comment “Chandler was a massive reason why these two years felt so different”. He didn’t play this year…..??? I get he was MVP of our first SEC tourney championship in forever, deservingly so, but he wasn’t a one man wreaking crew (Averaged 14.6 per game) Had exceptional game against Kentucky in semis, but arguable that ZZ and JJJ were more important against Miss St, and we controlled the final game against A&M from the tip as multiple players did well. He drove it to be sure and not diminishing that. I don’t think given recent history and cumulative results, it is not to our advantage to excess with the 5 stars.

Looking at the final 4 teams reinforces the opinion. Load up with talented 4 stars or high 3 stars who want to develop, get some experience and fill in with high quality players annually from transfer portal who have proven ability. The drama of will these 5 stars stay or go every year isn’t worth it. Let Kentucky and Duke be the JV squads for the NBA.

Oh my bad. I understand your point. Just read it wrong.
“Kennedy Chandler was a massive reason why these two years years felt so different.”

Idk if it means anything but Josiah just posted a random picture of himself in a UT uniform on his IG story with no context. Probably means Absolutely nothing lol

I think for me, it’s Santi fairly easily. Next year’s team could still be really good with both Phillips and Dillione. At that point, we’re just 1-2 pieces away from another Top 10 team if Santi returns, IMO. You can replace BJ long-term, especially with how we’ve recruited recently. I want to prioritize the present, and I don’t want next year to be a rebuilding year. Go all in.

Agree, most players that don't crack the rotation are easily replaced especially in transfer portal era. A guy like Santi doesn't come along every year. He has a special skill set.

Reactions: Lankykong

Our only missing piece IMO was someone that could go get you a bucket in isolation when you really needed it.

Grant and Kennedy both provided that on prior teams. And this year we just didn’t have that. It should have been Olivier, but it wasn’t.

So IF Santi returns you would have

a True PG - Zakai
2x All SEC Shooting Guard - Santi
Elite Defender - Mashack
Bucket Getter - ???
Elite Rebounder/Elite Rim Protector - Awaka/Aidoo

that big question mark is the bucket getter. Fill that gap and we are elite again.

I’ve been to a lot of games during my career as a Tennessee fan, and I’ve got to say that FAU fan base was the ugliest I’ve ever encountered. When they got close on the scoreboard in the 2nd half they became a brutal bunch. I never say anything negative directly to another team’s fans, but these people literally harassed Tennessee fans to a point like I’ve never seen. Followed us 10 blocks into Times Square after the game and continued their verbal assault. No provocation or words back to them on our part whatsoever.

Betcha those FAU fans who hounded you are not feeling so hot right now! Karma and all 😁

Betcha those FAU fans who hounded you are not feeling so hot right now! Karma and all 😁
I would say they’re feeling blue right now. The Owls lost that game in the worst possible way with the buzzer beater. They have the lead about 32 minutes or so and lose at the end. Yeah, I’m happy with that outcome!

Small sample size but IMO, thus far the transfer portal has actually improved parity in college basketball.

Many expected the portal in conjunction with NIL for talent to consolidate at the top schools.

But that just isn’t how it has worked so far.

low-major and mid-major matriculation has helped the middle of college basketball way more than the top at current.

https://www.aarontorresonline.com/post/way-too-early-college-basketball-top-25-for-2023-2024

“21. Tennessee Volunteers

Key Returnees: Josiah-Jordan James, Uros Plavsic, Santiago Vescovi, Zakai Zeigler, Jahmai Mashack, Tobe Awaka, Jonas Aidoo Key Departures: Olivier Nkamhoua (transfer), Tyreke Key, Julian Phillips Key Additions: JP Estrella, Cameron Carr, Cade Phillips

Tennessee might be the single most interesting team on this list, from this perspective: They could return just about everyone.

Yet I'm not sure that anyone, most of all Tennessee fans, actually want it to happen.

What we know now is this: Olivier Nkamhoua has both hit the portal and is testing NBA Draft waters and won't be back, and Tyreke Key is out of eligibility.

But everyone else? Besides Julian Phillips (who's almost certain to test the draft waters), Santiago Vescovi, Uros Plavsic and Josiah Jordan-James both have eligibility remaining and none have announced their plans, while Zakai Zeigler will be back from injury at some point and Jahmai Mashack and Jonas Aidoo will be part of a loaded frontcourt.

Again, we've seen this Tennessee team and their limitations (especially offensively) and I do wonder if for everyone's good a few guys move on.

But right now, this is still a Top 25 team, even if they could be very limited offensively again in 2023-2024.”

#19 in the athletic

The way-too-early men's college hoops Top 25 for 2023-24: Marquette, Purdue start on top

19. Tennessee
Key departures: Olivier Nkamhoua, 6-9 Sr.; Josiah-Jordan James, 6-6 Sr; Santiago Vescovi, 6-3 Sr.; Tyreke Key, 6-2 Sr.; Uros Plavsic, 7-1 Sr.

Key returnees: Zakai Zeigler, 5-9 Jr.; Julian Phillips, 6-8 So.; Jahmai Mashack, 6-4 Jr.; Jonas Aidoo, 6-11 Jr.

Incoming: J.P. Estrella, 6-11 Fr.; Cameron Carr, 6-4 Fr.; Cade Phillips, 6-9 Fr.; Freddie Dillone, 6-5 Fr.

The Volunteers are ranked in anticipation of Julian Phillips coming back, but that is far from definite. He will almost certainly test the NBA Draft waters, and though he’s projected as a late second-round pick, he could play his way into stronger consideration. Beyond that, the big question is how long it takes Zeigler to recover from the torn ACL he suffered at the end of February. He likely won’t be available until after the SEC season starts. Dillone was a top-30 recruit who reclassified and enrolled in January and redshirted. Nkamhoua entered the transfer portal, but Estrella and Carr are both top 75 recruits, so that should help plug the gap.

Reactions: cardvolfan
If no one returns of the seniors then I'd have us top 20...depending on who we land in the portal we could be top 15 pretty easily for me.

If Santi returns we'd be fringe top 15 for me even without knowing who we land in the portal.

If we lose all the seniors AND Phillips then we'd need some solid portal additions for me to say top 20...I think it really depends on who ends up being here once the dust settles on the roster, right now though somewhere between 18-22 seems about right if we only lose our seniors.

25 at SI

25. Tennessee
Seniors Santiago Vescovi and Josiah-Jordan James have questionable statuses as potential fifth-year returners, but the Vols can be expected to be competitive regardless of what that duo decides. A healthy Zakai Zeigler would give Tennessee one of the better point guards in the SEC, and talented young bigs Jonas Aidoo and Tobe Awaka each showed promise this season. Freshman center JP Estrella could also help the frontcourt from a skill standpoint.

and 23 at ESPN

23. Tennessee Volunteers
Several seniors are out the door, including program stalwarts Santiago Vescovi and Josiah-Jordan James. So are recent breakout performer Olivier Nkamhoua, starting center Uros Plavsic and transfer Tyreke Key. Where does Rick Barnes go from here? Zakai Zeigler will be back whenever he recovers from his torn ACL, and the Vols should have an elite defense again. But the likes of Jahmai Mashack and Jonas Aidoo will have to step up.

Projected starting lineup:

Zakai Zeigler (10.7 PPG)
Jahmai Mashack (4.7 PPG)
Freddie Dilione (redshirt)
Tobe Awaka (3.2 PPG)
Jonas Aidoo (5.1 PPG)

Reactions: berryvol
Also found this gem. I had two guys blasting me for talking about ON’s inconsistencies as far back as 11/21. They both were adamant about ON having his “breakout“ last year, with the comments about lottery pick and first rounder. It’s two full seasons in the books.

VN Store

Back