The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

I didn’t mean to start a firestorm or “lessen” the accomplishments of other coaches. Obviously I’m very happy with Rick and Heupel and I have always said as much. This was just more of a statement on the level Vitello is operating at right now with how much success he has had at such a young age in a sport I personally believe is harder to succeed at just due to the immense parity involved across the board.

That’s all. My bad.

FWIW, I didn't take your post that way. I took it as you praising TV, not throwing shade at other coaches. I'd argue for the major sports, UT probably has a case for the best collection of coaches overall.

I didn’t mean to start a firestorm or “lessen” the accomplishments of other coaches. Obviously I’m very happy with Rick and Heupel and I have always said as much. This was just more of a statement on the level Vitello is operating at right now with how much success he has had at such a young age in a sport I personally believe is harder to succeed at just due to the immense parity involved across the board.

That’s all. My bad.
FWIW I didn’t take it like that, thought it was just props to Vitello. I guess it depends on how much you weigh longevity though. If not very much at all one could argue Heupel, if you weigh it a lot, Weekly is probably the choice. It’s nice to have these debates. The fact that one of Vitello, Weekly, Heupel, Barnes, or Harper is the worst coach of the 5 major UT sports is a great problem to have (it’s probably Harper, and she’s still solid)

Assuming Julian is drafted, that’s our first time having a Vol be a draft pick for three straight years since 1985 (which was the end of a seven year streak). Also, the draft was 10 rounds back then, so this should be our first time ever having three straight years with draft picks in the top two rounds
True these last four (Keon, Jaden, Kennedy, Julian) picks likely would’ve been picked no matter where they went, but still cool
Tennessee Players Drafted in the NBA - RealGM

Another note from my sons’ week at UT hoops camp, they say Gainey, Knecht, Ledlum, Estrella, DJ, and most returning players are all there and heavily involved, with the exception of Tobe & Freddie (at the USA U19 camp) and they don’t think they’ve seen Cade Phillips (update: never mind on the latter, Cade was definitely there)

Last edited:
Any murmurings about the OOC schedule? I know the Vols start the season in Madison, play the Maui Invitational and then host Illinois in TBA on December 9th, but I'm wondering if there are any other marquee neutral sites or away matchups in the works.

Reactions: cardvolfan
Any murmurings about the OOC schedule? I know the Vols start the season in Madison, play the Maui Invitational and then host Illinois in TBA on December 9th, but I'm wondering if there are any other marquee neutral sites or away matchups in the works.
There will be the ACC Challenge but that opponent has yet to be announced, I would say that is likely it.

That Maui Invitational is enough to give most coaches heart attacks. That field is loaded with good teams.

VN Store

Back