The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

Obviously glad to see ZZ back for the opener, but I’m most interested to see how Barnes manages his minutes in the big games in Maui. I’m sure he’s not gonna be playing 100% minutes by then and I’m sure we don’t want him playing 20+ minutes a game for 3 games over 3-4 days.
He held JJJ out of those games last year, didn’t he?

So math folks thought it was crazy to think he could be back before conference play, nevermind start of the year. No telling how he looks, but given recent examples of other athletes I thought it was always realistic to get back around the season opener. And to his credit, and as anyone that knows him would expect, he’s gone absolutely above and beyond the normal therapy things he could do to help himself.
Today marks 7 months and 3 weeks since his surgery. Holding the belief that he was a longshot, at best, to be ready for opening day wasn't exactly profound. That kind of recovery timeframe for a torn ACL, even in the best conditions, is remarkable and certainly the exception.

In fact...to use your phrasing...it IS crazy to think he's even being discussed as a possibility. That just isn't normal, especially for a guy who relies on violent planting, starting, push-off, stopping on a dime, etc. It's just unbelievable.

I feel like torn ACL's in basketball are far less common than they are in football, but the recovery time is remarkable. Guys like Breece Hall and Javonte Williams both tore their ACL last year in October and were back practicing in July/August and then playing at the start of the season. Both of those guys took at least a month to ease into getting carries and playing time. I'm sure it's a lot different in basketball because you're not getting tackled by 300+ lb men and probably doing far less cutting on your recovering knee.

I was one of the people that was thinking ZZ would be back by conference play. I was going by the NFL time-table of about 9-12 months though. It's insane that he's ready in 7-8ish months!
Quinerly tore his 3 weeks later than Zeigler and was back playing 30+mpg for Alabama the first week of the season last year…obviously every injury is different, but knowing how determined Zeigler is with everything I figured it was pretty realistic that he could be ready by the start of the season.

Today marks 7 months and 3 weeks since his surgery. Holding the belief that he was a longshot, at best, to be ready for opening day wasn't exactly profound. That kind of recovery timeframe for a torn ACL, even in the best conditions, is remarkable and certainly the exception.

In fact...to use your phrasing...it IS crazy to think he's even being discussed as a possibility. That just isn't normal, especially for a guy who relies on violent planting, starting, push-off, stopping on a dime, etc. It's just unbelievable.
I haven’t documented every ACL injury and return over the last 2 years, I pointed to Quinerly’s return at 5 and 1/2 months a few times as an example of what another PG has come back from.

Reactions: berryvol
I haven’t documented every ACL injury and return over the last 2 years, I pointed to Quinerly’s return at 5 and 1/2 months a few times as an example of what another PG has come back from.
5 ½ months?

Quinerly tore his ACL on March 18th and didn't return until Bama's 3rd game of the season (playing just 4 minutes) on November 15th. That's just a few days shy of 8 months...and still remarkable...but a far cry from 5 ½ months.

Amari Rodgers returned to football field in 6 months iirc, these smaller/skinnier dudes seem to get back quicker.
That one was absolutely unheard of. Just crazy that he returned in 166 days (5½ months) and was actually productive. That might be the most aggressive return timeline I'm aware of.

Reactions: berryvol
3 of 4 ESPN analysts (John Gasaway, Joe Lunardi, and Jeff Borzello) have Tennessee in their F4, as well. Bordello and Lunardi also picked Barnes for COY.

The swell is building.
Damn! I think I remember our name getting thrown around in preseason F4 predictions relatively recently, but not to this extent, right?

Damn! I think I remember our name getting thrown around in preseason F4 predictions relatively recently, but not to this extent, right?

Yeah, this is unprecedented for the Vols. I clicked into the ESPN article hoping that one of the guys would tap Tennessee to make it, certainly did not expect to be the second most picked team (tied with Purdue) behind Kansas.

Any idea on starting lineup tonight? I feel like ZZ and Santi are starting, Knecht and aidoo in as well. But then who’s the other guy? Do you go with Gainey and play Knecht at the 4 or Josiah and Knecht at the 3? This is a good problem to have imo. Also could be a fun small ball lineup if you remove aidoo and use the other 5 mentioned. Also wonder if awaka could find his way into starting at the 4. So many questions

3 of 4 ESPN analysts (John Gasaway, Joe Lunardi, and Jeff Borzello) have Tennessee in their F4, as well. Bordello and Lunardi also picked Barnes for COY.

The swell is building.

I love the attention, and the confidence, but also hate being a trendy pick because rarely do the trendy picks actually work out.

All it does is give more fuel to the Barnes hater fire if all these “experts” pick us and we don’t make it.

I love the attention, and the confidence, but also hate being a trendy pick because rarely do the trendy picks actually work out.

All it does is give more fuel to the Barnes hater fire if all these “experts” pick us and we don’t make it.
Fair point, though the Barnes haters need no fuel for their fire of hatred. Their unquenchable flames burn continuously.

5 ½ months?

Quinerly tore his ACL on March 18th and didn't return until Bama's 3rd game of the season (playing just 4 minutes) on November 15th. That's just a few days shy of 8 months...and still remarkable...but a far cry from 5 ½ months.
Apologies, when I pulled his game log it pulled 2 years ago not last year, that’s my bad. My overall point of him coming back and being ready essentially for the start of the season while suffering his injury nearly a month later than Zeigler remains though.

That one was absolutely unheard of. Just crazy that he returned in 166 days (5½ months) and was actually productive. That might be the most aggressive return timeline I'm aware of.
Oh for sure, just saying the collegiate guys (mostly small in stature) returning in under a year seems to be more and more coming every year.

VN Store

Back