The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

If you’re suggesting Barnes ran him off, that is not what happened. But feel free to believe that narrative if it helps.
Your putting words in my mouth. He was probably recruited to take JJJ place and saw the writing on the wall. Guys that hit the transfer portal are looking for spots that they can just slide into. I don't know this as fact but applying a little common sense.

Reactions: orangemadam
Your putting words in my mouth. He was probably recruited to take JJJ place and saw the writing on the wall. Guys that hit the transfer portal are looking for spots that they can just slide into. I don't know this as fact but applying a little common sense.

Not really. I think it had more to do with Ledlum wanting to stay close to family. He had a knee surgery in July when he got here and a few days later was when he decommitted from TN. I think being back home with family while recovering was a big factor.

Not really. I think it had more to do with Ledlum wanting to stay close to family. He had a knee surgery in July when he got here and a few days later was when he decommitted from TN. I think being back home with family while recovering was a big factor.
I could see both playing roles in his decision.

This is what VQ at least alluded to. He did not plan to go abroad with the team due to his injury and he was missing a lot of practice time with the squad. VQ said his departure caught the staff completely off-guard as he basically walked into Barnes’ office one morning and said “I’m leaving”.

Probably a combination of all those factors

Reactions: chuckiepoo
It, of course, stands to reason whether he'd have received enough playing time here to put up 16/14 on a regular basis. My guess is that he discovered how guard-heavy we were and figured playing time might come at a premium. He led St. John's in minutes last night with 33. That wasn't going to be anywhere near the case at Tennessee. So, this may still be a 'big fish, small pond' sort of scenario for him, just in a higher profile conference than the Ivy League he came from.

Yep, plus if I recall correctly Ledlum committed before Knecht, and as we now know, DK is looking pretty darn good. Maybe Ledlum was surprised that DK committed, saw him tearing it up in practice and that contributed to the decision?

Yep, plus if I recall correctly Ledlum committed before Knecht, and as we now know, DK is looking pretty darn good. Maybe Ledlum was surprised that DK committed, saw him tearing it up in practice and that contributed to the decision?
They play different positions, but perhaps he saw how good DK was (and Gainey), plus JJJ surprisingly returned, and Ledlum simply foresaw a lot of 4 guard lineups in the future. That obviously works against his playing time. Missing the Italy trip obviously wasn't ideal from a development and chemistry standpoint, either.

In the end, he's playing close to home in a nice league for a historic coach and getting all the the minutes he can handle. Worked out for him.

I think once ZZ gets back up to speed he probably slots into the starting lineup over JM.

ZZ is really valuable as a facilitator with that much shooting firepower available on offense.

Gainey I think will play starter minutes or close to it off the bench.

Reactions: berryvol
I think once ZZ gets back up to speed he probably slots into the starting lineup over JM.

ZZ is really valuable as a facilitator with that much shooting firepower available on offense.

Agreed…maybe Barnes does the thing where he still starts Mashack but Zeigler is first off the bench and plays starter minutes, but I’m with you in thinking he’ll end up starting when ready.

Agreed. I’m not sure when it will happen, but I think our starting 5 (when healthy) is pretty clear.

ZZ
Vescovi
Knecht
JJJ
Aidoo

That’s the lineup. Just depends on health and getting guys reps.

I like that we have Gainey coming off the bench. I saw it mentioned that he is a great weapon to throw at teams with tired legs. Him and Jahmai will be huge for us in the 6/7 off the bench roles in SEC play. Not many teams will be able to match our depth this year.

Agreed. I’m not sure when it will happen, but I think our starting 5 (when healthy) is pretty clear.

ZZ
Vescovi
Knecht
JJJ
Aidoo

I like that we have Gainey coming off the bench. I saw it mentioned that he is a great weapon to throw at teams with tired legs. Him and Jahmai will be huge for us in the 6/7 off the bench roles in SEC play. Not many teams will be able to match our depth this year.
These 5 plus Awaka, Mashack and Gainey should take the brunt of the minutes in this game. A couple of freshman might get a cup of coffee.

ZZ
Vescovi
Knecht
JJJ
Aidoo

Would agree that's probably the lineup when healthy. I could see ZZ or JJJ being an "off the bench spark" as well.

I am a little surprised at Dilione's development not being what many thought it would be.
He must really have problems picking up the defenses that coach teaches. Game seems still too fast for him.
Thoughts on staying another year after this from anyone?

I am a little surprised at Dilione's development not being what many thought it would be.
He must really have problems picking up the defenses that coach teaches. Game seems still too fast for him.

I think people have unrealistic expectations these days for Top 25-50 players. Dillione was a highly touted prospect, but in the COVID era of college basketball he’s playing against older and more experienced players frequently. There are a lot of senior-laden and graduate filled teams, so some of these coveted prospects are having trouble adjusting to the speed and physicality of the game as quickly as their star ranking would make fans expect.

Assuming Dillione buys into Barnes coaching style, he has flashed the intangibles and athleticism you would expect from a star. He’ll be really good down the line, and frankly that's okay. We lose a lot of experience after this year. We can make do with his raw talent right now and he’ll be a cornerstone of the program moving forward.

I just don’t think you’ll see as many young guys coming in and dominating right now unless they are the cream of the crop and top 5-10 players.

Freddie reminds me a bit of Keon, not that he's the same sort of athlete as Keon. More that he has all the physical talent but you can just tell he's not comfortable and pressing a bit.

So I expect after he gets a few games and some minutes under his belt he'll settle in. He won't have the benefit of getting 25 mpg like Keon though so it could take him a bit longer to get there.

I'd bet Freddie takes a few more risks on defense than Barnes likes. He gets himself out of position often by gambling defensively and then when he misses, his man is past him.

I heard Barnes say in his media meeting today--or yesterday---that somebody had compiled a list of the most defensively efficient players in collegiate basketball since, maybe 2009 (Barnes wasn't exactly sure, saying '08/09/10) and Mashack, I think he said, was No. 4. He's 6'4" and a super-athletic guy who plays made defense and whose offensive skills are improving. He's going to be important for this team this season--and I predict his role will grow as the season progresses, perhaps at the expense of Ziggy. Ziggy is also a very good defender--but he's not 6'4.

I heard Barnes say in his media meeting today--or yesterday---that somebody had compiled a list of the most defensively efficient players in collegiate basketball since, maybe 2009 (Barnes wasn't exactly sure, saying '08/09/10) and Mashack, I think he said, was No. 4. He's 6'4" and a super-athletic guy who plays made defense and whose offensive skills are improving. He's going to be important for this team this season--and I predict his role will grow as the season progresses, perhaps at the expense of Ziggy. Ziggy is also a very good defender--but he's not 6'4.
I'd be shocked if Mashack's minutes come at the expense of ZZ. Zeigler isn't 6-4, but Mashack isn't a PG, either. He's played there in a pinch, and he's improved in several areas necessary to be effective at that position, but ZZ is simply a pure PG. He's also a two-time member of the All-SEC Defensive Team, himself. If Mashack takes minutes from ZZ, it will more likely be because of Zeigler's minutes being scaled back over concern with his knee, not concern over his height or defense.

I'd be shocked if Mashack's minutes come at the expense of ZZ. Zeigler isn't 6-4, but Mashack isn't a PG, either. He's played there in a pinch, and he's improved in several areas necessary to be effective at that position, but ZZ is simply a pure PG. He's also a two-time member of the All-SEC Defensive Team, himself. If Mashack takes minutes from ZZ, it will more likely be because of Zeigler's minutes being scaled back over concern with his knee, not concern over his height or defense.
They were both in the top ten last year…

I think people have unrealistic expectations these days for Top 25-50 players. Dillione was a highly touted prospect, but in the COVID era of college basketball he’s playing against older and more experienced players frequently. There are a lot of senior-laden and graduate filled teams, so some of these coveted prospects are having trouble adjusting to the speed and physicality of the game as quickly as their star ranking would make fans expect.

Assuming Dillione buys into Barnes coaching style, he has flashed the intangibles and athleticism you would expect from a star. He’ll be really good down the line, and frankly that's okay. We lose a lot of experience after this year. We can make do with his raw talent right now and he’ll be a cornerstone of the program moving forward.

I just don’t think you’ll see as many young guys coming in and dominating right now unless they are the cream of the crop and top 5-10 players.
Freddie hasn’t shown the quickness I expected of his ranking. At this point he looks to be a 3-4 year player in college which is fine. Some guys come in as great athletes and have to develop basketball skills. So far, Freddie looks to me to have more basketball skills than elite athleticism. Team Barnes has a great track record of developing players physical talents also.

Of course, this is all just my observations from watching him about 40 minutes on tv. TIFWIW, JMHO, AARP

Reactions: knoxvol52
Freddie hasn’t shown the quickness I expected of his ranking. At this point he looks to be a 3-4 year player in college which is fine. Some guys come in as great athletes and have to develop basketball skills. So far, Freddie looks to me to have more basketball skills than elite athleticism. Team Barnes has a great track record of developing players physical talents also.

Of course, this is all just my observations from watching him about 40 minutes on tv. TIFWIW, JMHO, AARP
Freddie seems to lack the killer instinct at times, he played his best minutes against TTU at the end of the game when he was surrounded by other young players.

Reactions: chuckiepoo

Not only that, but Dilione’s evaluation was that he was a shot maker but just an above average athlete. It will take time to adjust athletically. Just needs to mature and develop.

Reactions: cardvolfan

VN Store

Back