The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

This can be the most successful year EVER if all of the scholarship players buy in and accept their roles that will help the team the most. DJ as a forward instead of a guard. Dilione not getting as many minutes as he’d like - but he can be a very important reserve as a 1 and a 2. There’s no doubt that ****ty officiating will send UT’s primary perimeter players to sit down with fouls fairly often. Awaka to keep on doing what he has been so far - physical play down low and rebounding. Aidoo as a starter at the 5 and maybe get to be more like a 4 only when Awaka or Estrella are in the games at the same time. I don’t think that there’s any doubt that JJJ, JM, and SV will play wherever they’re told/asked. Gainey either. ZZ and Knecht have pretty clearly defined roles. Knecht needs to keep working on being an adequate defender and keeping his teammates involved in offense. ZZ needs to understand that he doesn’t need to take low percentage, long range shots with so much scoring talent around him.

So basically, Aidoo needs to stay near the rim and grab some rebounds while DJ and Dilione accept their limited minutes and be coachable - those 2 have bright futures if they are patient and work hard.

Carr might be a redshirt candidate and somewhat surprisingly Phillips won’t be redshirting and might grab a lot of rebounds as a reserve at the 4.

my gawd...expectations are now through the roof. Was hoping we would kind of flow under the radar until conference play

I don’t think expectations have changed that much. We entered the season in the Top 10 of most credible rankings. Not sure whether we are listed at 1 or 10 this early changes the expectations because any top 10 team is expected to be a Final Four contender by most journalists.

I do think the Wisconsin game changed the calculus a bit for some folks. To go to a really tough Power 5 opponent's home court, control the vast majority of the game, and win by double digits is the kind of thing that a top tier team does. Coming into the year, I think most folks considered us ... kinda fringe top tier, but not a surefire thing. At least for now, the game in Madison seems to have convinced a lot of people to bump us into the top tier with no reservations.

Arizona beats Duke on the road and we're ranked ahead of them? That's pretty wild... lol

We're a top 10 team all day long, but 2 games isn't a large enough sample size yet. I like that we're this good already and still lots of room to grow.

Arizona beats Duke on the road and we're ranked ahead of them? That's pretty wild... lol

We're a top 10 team all day long, but 2 games isn't a large enough sample size yet. I like that we're this good already and still lots of room to grow.
Sure, but nobody has a big sample size yet and someone has to be ranked up there

Reactions: DuckInAPen
my gawd...expectations are now through the roof. Was hoping we would kind of flow under the radar until conference play
I usually feel that way, but you know... it's probably better to get that recognition early in the season and learn how to carry those expectations each game. This team needs to experience that early and have a chance to be there again at the end of the season.

Getting a #1 is like taking those last 6 rungs on a 40-foot extension ladder in a high wind, and then looking down. Gotta experience it before you can get comfortable with it.

We need to see what this team does on a night when Gainey and Knecht are both having off shooting nights.

If they figure out ways to win when those two aren't scoring, then I think we have what it takes to be there at the very end.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
We need to see what this team does on a night when Gainey and Knecht are both having off shooting nights.

If they figure out ways to win when those two aren't scoring, then I think we have what it takes to be there at the very end.
I’m counting on ZZZ and Vescovi having “on” nights shooting!

I’m counting on ZZZ and Vescovi having “on” nights shooting!
Back in the '60 and '70s, a decent team always had someone on the bench who would be hot when the starters were cold. But it seems to me that these days, whole teams go cold together.

In a recent presser, Barnes has already talked about "days at practice when no one could hit."

I'd feel better counting on defense and rebounding to pull out a win when the shooting is off.

This can be the most successful year EVER if all of the scholarship players buy in and accept their roles that will help the team the most. DJ as a forward instead of a guard. Dilione not getting as many minutes as he’d like - but he can be a very important reserve as a 1 and a 2. There’s no doubt that ****ty officiating will send UT’s primary perimeter players to sit down with fouls fairly often. Awaka to keep on doing what he has been so far - physical play down low and rebounding. Aidoo as a starter at the 5 and maybe get to be more like a 4 only when Awaka or Estrella are in the games at the same time. I don’t think that there’s any doubt that JJJ, JM, and SV will play wherever they’re told/asked. Gainey either. ZZ and Knecht have pretty clearly defined roles. Knecht needs to keep working on being an adequate defender and keeping his teammates involved in offense. ZZ needs to understand that he doesn’t need to take low percentage, long range shots with so much scoring talent around him.

So basically, Aidoo needs to stay near the rim and grab some rebounds while DJ and Dilione accept their limited minutes and be coachable - those 2 have bright futures if they are patient and work hard.

Carr might be a redshirt candidate and somewhat surprisingly Phillips won’t be redshirting and might grab a lot of rebounds as a reserve at the 4.
You better put Phillips in the mix. Coach is already showing confidence in his game.

VN Store

Back