The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

I have no problem with spur of the moment, emotional type posts during the game thread. I seee it as probably just venting or saying whatever comes to mind. But those are usually like "Man we suck" or "this is pathetic". I do that all the time.

Reactions: Pennheel
Edey displacing JJJ going for a rebound is what drew the bench technical against Tennessee. He just forearm-shoved JJJ under the basket.

Speaking of that, where are all the "Barnes needs to work the refs/he just sits there" people? Barnes got a tech, and maybe did some short term good but long term it didn't really help.

Edey displacing JJJ going for a rebound is what drew the bench technical against Tennessee. He just forearm-shoved JJJ under the basket.

Officials being incapable of handling Edey just makes for poor basketball to watch. I don’t mean this as a slight to Edey, but it is clear that every time I watch him officials just assume that because he is so big and so physical, that any time someone tries to fight for a rebound with him Edey must be the one that gets fouled. So when the officials have to call a game where a team like Tennessee plays tough against a 7’4” behemoth those officials just assume the level of physicality is illegal. There were a lot of real fouls last night, but there were plenty of “fouls” that were just blatant guesswork because they just assume Edey wouldn’t have failed to get a rebound if he wasn’t hacked.

It’s also a disservice to Edey because last night there were several clear makeup calls against Edey that gave him his 3rd and 4th foul and sidelined him for an extended period of time.

Man I just realized we are playing 3 of the best posts in the country in a row: Edey, Dickinson, and Bacot.

You really could make an argument that they ARE the best 3 posts in the country. The best thing about this, is that we should be battle tested against really good posts for any of the posts in the SEC and NCAA tourney.

it is clear that every time I watch him officials just assume that because he is so big and so physical, that any time someone tries to fight for a rebound with him Edey must be the one that gets fouled. So when the officials have to call a game where a team like Tennessee plays tough against a 7’4” behemoth those officials just assume the level of physicality is illegal. There were a lot of real fouls last night, but there were plenty of “fouls” that were just blatant guesswork because they just assume Edey wouldn’t have failed to get a rebound if he wasn’t hacked.

It’s also a disservice to Edey because last night there were several clear makeup calls against Edey that gave him his 3rd and 4th foul and sidelined him for an extended period of time.
I cannot distinguish, based exclusively on what is visible in the world, whether this explanation (or backstory) should be preferred to the explanation that the officials simply give Edey preferential treatment, which amounts to cheating his opponents. The same set of facts obtain in either event.

Your explanation is better for more gracious and providing the officials space to self-correct without fault. If they fail to do so, one is compelled to lean toward the second explanation.

May they heed your words.

Reactions: cardvolfan
I just hate that Edey is allowed to forearm guys and displace them under the rim the way he is. Awaka’s 5th foul was basically him doing the same thing.

If it’s a foul on one side it needs to be on the other side. He’s already got the advantage of free over the backs because of his size & reach, why allow him to also get away with the forearm for displacement?

Last night I felt like the better team lost. We beat Purdue more times than not on a neutral floor. We’re better than Purdue. They had a lucky performance from an average player to get them over the hump.

Today, I’m pretty certain the better team won. Not sure what happened to Kansas against Marquette last night, but Kansas is just really good. Lot of weapons and an incredibly skilled big man. Solid defensively as well. Legit national championship caliber team.

I'm sure every fanbase has them, but we legit have a ton of people on this site who are just flat out miserable. Maybe it's just an online act, but if they are even remotely like this in real life, they have to be miserable people to be around.

They seem almost giddy when we lose so they can b****.

I'm sure every fanbase has them, but we legit have a ton of people on this site who are just flat out miserable. Maybe it's just an online act, but if they are even remotely like this in real life, they have to be miserable people to be around.

Maybe this is a dumb opinion on my part, but I truly believe twenty years of disastrous football broke some people in this fanbase . Some of them are now happiest when they have something to be miserable about.

Last night I felt like the better team lost. We beat Purdue more times than not on a neutral floor. We’re better than Purdue. They had a lucky performance from an average player to get them over the hump.

Today, I’m pretty certain the better team won. Not sure what happened to Kansas against Marquette last night, but Kansas is just really good. Lot of weapons and an incredibly skilled big man. Solid defensively as well. Legit national championship caliber team.
I agree on both points. Kansas just has so many dudes who can really score and defend like hell

I just don’t get it. It’s an “I told you so” world.

Reactions: VolsSportsFan
Maybe this is a dumb opinion on my part, but I truly believe twenty years of disastrous football broke some people in this fanbase . Some of them are now happiest when they have something to be miserable about.

I agree. That and getting a taste of winning basketball with Pearl had turned some into this "win all games or else" monster and if we don't then it's time to trash everything. Football, basketball, baseball, women's basketball, softball....everything is all or nothing.

I agree. That and getting a taste of winning basketball with Pearl had turned some into this "win all games or else" monster and if we don't then it's time to trash everything. Football, basketball, baseball, women's basketball, softball....everything is all or nothing.

It doesn’t matter whose coaching.

Once Barnes retires, his replacement will get blasted soon as he does something wrong.

Rinse & repeat.

Love JJJ, but these last two games made me wonder if we would be a better team had ON been the one to return instead?

Purdue & Michigan are exactly the matchup we don’t wanna see in March though. We know our frontcourt doesn’t have great size and depth. Hopefully Cade & JP really develop and earn some more consistent minutes.

Love JJJ, but these last two games made me wonder if we would be a better team had ON been the one to return instead?

Purdue & Michigan are exactly the matchup we don’t wanna see in March though. We know our frontcourt doesn’t have great size and depth. Hopefully Cade & JP really develop and earn some more consistent minutes.
The ON that is 3-10 with 4 turnovers so far against Memphis right now?

How soon people forget

Forget what? He started 58 games here for a reason. He’s averaging 18.8 points & 8.8 rebounds per game so far this season, our fanbase was always too critical of his play here because everyone wanted him to be Grant.

He’s as inconsistent as JJJ can be. We need to continue develop Awaka.

I agree, but it appears Awaka will be playing the 5. Just saying a bigger body at the 4 than JJJ & DK would benefit us in matchups like we saw the last two games.

JJJ isn’t Pons so I’m not sure how successful he’ll be playing the 4 all season.

VN Store

Back