The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

I don’t even mind it. At least somebody wants to score
Kinda my thought. Sometimes a team needs a designated scorer. We have a lot of guys who are more comfortable making the extra pass than taking a shot. I like the killer instinct that Gainey and Knecht bring.

Just as confused as everyone else about Vescovi. This is a 2 time all conference player. I expected more consistency out of him.

Pretty significant development. Lots of teams going to see a temporary infusion of talent on their roster. Also means that if this TRO is extended to more than 14-days, Brandon Murray will be eligible to play for Ole Miss that first week of January when we play them.

Why even have a governing body, anymore? I'm not one to defend the NCAA very often, but I will when it comes to putting a rule(s) in place as the governing body of scholastic athletics and student athletes and enforcing it.

The federal government has no place in overreaching in these areas. If they can just instantly overrule the governing body, then just disband the NCAA and tell the US government to organize and run things as they see fit, which is seemingly to just allow anything and everything.

Why even have a governing body, anymore? I'm not one to defend the NCAA very often, but I will when it comes to putting a rule(s) in place as the governing body of scholastic athletics and student athletes and enforcing it.

The federal government has no place in overreaching in these areas. If they can just instantly overrule the governing body, then just disband the NCAA and tell the US government to organize and run things as they see fit, which is seemingly to just allow anything and everything.

Agreed. I think the conversation about the NCAA has unfairly spiraled out of control in the NIL era of college athletics. Basically, it’s no longer a conversation about the NCAA being “anti-student athlete” and fighting for equity in college sports. It’s become something a lot more gross and untenable, which is just “screw the NCAA at all costs.”

The current landscape of “do whatever you want” is not sustainable. I see this narrative that because coaches move whenever they want without punishment, it should be the same for athletes. I would argue that if you are going to basically strip this sport of the amateur part of collegiate athletics, and you transition closer to a professional model (which is happening), then that narrative is stupid. You don’t see players in the NBA, MLB, and NFL switching teams at will whenever they feel like it.

The problem is that the NCAA is terrible at it. The way I understand it is that the players at Colorado were forced out and had no choice. So, the NCAA wouldn’t give them a waiver even though they didn’t have a choice. If the NCAA actually had an efficient process and took these things seriously and were better at making decisions, these things may not be challenged.

Last edited:
Agreed. I think the conversation about the NCAA has unfairly spiraled out of control in the NIL era of college athletics. Basically, it’s no longer a conversation about the NCAA being “anti-student athlete” and fighting for equity in college sports. It’s become something a lot more gross and untenable, which is just “screw the NCAA at all costs.”

The current landscape of “do whatever you want” is not sustainable. I see this narrative that because coaches move whenever they want without punishment, it should be the same for athletes. I would argue that if you are going to basically strip this sport of the amateur part of collegiate athletics, and you transition closer to a professional model (which is happening), then that narrative is stupid. You don’t see players in the NBA, MLB, and NFL switching teams at will whenever they feel like it.
It won't stop until NLIs become as ironclad as a professional contract. I'd also support an NIL "salary cap" and allow the schools to be directly involved in negotiations. If you're going to make it professional sports, make it professional, but like you said, this rogue nature of players moving wherever and whenever they want is ridiculous. The NCAA has no authority anymore.

Idk man. I’ve loved college athletics at Tennessee for my entire life.

But also, for the adult part of my life, I recognized that the NCAA was basically a criminal organization. At least when it comes to high major men’s basketball and football.

And when the courts basically ruled as such, that felt pretty validating.

I believe this is just more of the same. It’s courts recognizing more and more of these rules and ethics for what they are. Unconstitutional.

People may not like what happens to college athletics. But it’s becoming more fair in the eyes of the law.

The problem is that the NCAA is terrible at it. The way I understand it is that the players at Colorado were forced out and had no choice. So, the NCAA wouldn’t give them a waiver even though they didn’t have a choice. If the NCAA actually had an efficient process and took these things seriously and were better at baking decisions, these things may not be challenged.
Yeah, I'm not saying the NCAA is perfect. There are a ton of things they could do better. But playing college sports also isn't a fundamental human right. It's a privilege and a choice. You play by the governing bodies rules, or you don't play. Athletes don't have to like it, but it isn't infringing upon their most basic inherent rights. Just like I don't have to like some of the policies my company institutes, it isn't necessarily my "right" to work at that company. I shouldn't expect to demand special treatment and file suit because they won't let me come to work without shoes and a shirt on.

Idk man. I’ve loved college athletics at Tennessee for my entire life.

But also, for the adult part of my life, I recognized that the NCAA was basically a criminal organization. At least when it comes to high major men’s basketball and football.

And when the courts basically ruled as such, that felt pretty validating.

I believe this is just more of the same. It’s courts recognizing more and more of these rules and ethics for what they are. Unconstitutional.

People may not like what happens to college athletics. But it’s becoming more fair in the eyes of the law.
Just as an example, though, what is unconstitutional about a rule that says you have to sit out a year if you transfer schools? What constitutional right does that infringe upon? Going to college isn't even a "right". I'm fine with the idea that college sports and the NCAA are criminal in the idea of taking all the money for themselves, but I think that is a different discussion.

Just as an example, though, what is unconstitutional about a rule that says you have to sit out a year if you transfer schools? What constitutional right does that infringe upon? Going to college isn't even a "right". I'm fine with the idea that college sports and the NCAA are criminal in the idea of taking all the money for themselves, but I think that is a different discussion.

Because it’s labor issue. So the same way the constitution has been used to argue for labor rights all apply here.

I don’t want to get into a big debate or give a dissertation on it, but apply it to your trade or industry. And if some governing body that basically had a monopoly on your trade forces you to sit out a full year if you wanted to change to a different company.

I know it isn’t apples to apples, but that’s where some of the logic starts.

I'm not sure there was ever a way to solve this without destroying the fabric of college sports. Once the money schools, coaches, the governing body and media started earning became truly astronomic, how was determining an equitable way to compensate students participating in sports (beyond the scholarship) going to work out? Do you establish that a given percentage of a program's revenue goes to its players, knowing that UMass and Tennessee have wildly different revenue dollars for football and basketball? How about for the sports that only exist due to Title IX, does the rowing team evenly divide 72 cents amongst themselves? Once players are employees, and we're even about to see this right now to an extent stemming from today, how do you ensure that they adhere to the five-year clock or even require them to be students at all?

I would have liked to see something like the NCAA cartel collecting a given percentage of each school's revenue by sport and then spreading that out to each athlete, but we all know Oklahoma's QB deserves more than not only Oklahoma's second-string kicker but the QB of some random FCS school. In a weird way, the system fifteen years ago where players just got paid under the table and tried to hide it from the NCAA and its rules committees was the best it'll ever be.

VN Store

Back