The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

Agreed. They can really score the ball. I don’t think they are as bad as their record suggests. They’ve played a brutal schedule. Every bit as hard as our schedule.
Yes, according to KenPom, their OOC schedule is now harder. The games they’ve lost, they could have won. They don’t have the absolute stud they had last year, but they’re an extremely efficient offensive team.

At least half the conference is going to be a tough out this year IMO

The SEC is really deep. Perhaps the deepest it’s been in a looooong time. I don’t think there is an elite team like Auburn and Alabama the last two seasons though. Maybe we can be that elite team, but that remains to be seen. Whoever wins the SEC probably isn’t finishing any better than 14-4 or 13-5. Just a lot of really good teams, but not sure yet if we have any elite teams. Time will tell!

The SEC is really deep. Perhaps the deepest it’s been in a looooong time. I don’t think there is an elite team like Auburn and Alabama the last two seasons though. Maybe we can be that elite team, but that remains to be seen. Whoever wins the SEC probably isn’t finishing any better than 14-4 or 13-5. Just a lot of really good teams, but not sure yet if we have any elite teams. Time will tell!
I agree, and it hard to tell with Kentucky if they are going to be that elite team yet as well. They haven’t played that tough of a schedule but they beat North Carolina and Miami and have a ton of potential with the freshman they have so it’s too early to say.

Only saving grace about this news is that thankfully OM seems to be a
guard driven offense and doesn't rely on post presence as much for points.
Hopefully Estrella can pick up more of the slack than he has been .

That's not ideal with OM's front court.
Ole Miss is very guard heavy, at least in terms of offensive production. They have Sharp and Cisse, who are strong defensive presences, but they don't offer much offensively, and OM is going to attempt to win with Flannigan, Murrell, and J. Murray. They have 6 players shooting 36%, or better from 3.

Ole Miss is very guard heavy, at least in terms of offensive production. They have Sharp and Cisse, who are strong defensive presences, but they don't offer much offensively, and OM is going to attempt to win with Flannigan, Murrell, and J. Murray. They have 6 players shooting 36%, or better from 3.
I think if given the chance, Awaka could be a 10/10 guy each game.

I think if given the chance, Awaka could be a 10/10 guy each game.
I do too. He has to learn to defend without fouling. It's what is keeping him off the floor for more time. He did great against NSU. 1 foul. Hopefully he's learning. He's my favorite player on the team for a lot of reasons, but mainly because he only knows one speed. He just needs to learn to defend and rebound at that speed without fouling.

Yea, I just knew Sharp and Cisse were long, tall defenders. Rebounding will be tough.

I do too. He has to learn to defend without fouling. It's what is keeping him off the floor for more time. He did great against NSU. 1 foul. Hopefully he's learning. He's my favorite player on the team for a lot of reasons, but mainly because he only knows one speed. He just needs to learn to defend and rebound at that speed without fouling.
Agree with your points. Loved his play against Burns who was bullying Aidoo for position. Awaka has struggled in the past against height. He’s taller than Grant who had success against tall guys by pinning them down with his hips. Wonder if that’s a skill Awaka could learn or if it was one of Grant’s natural gifts?

Agree with your points. Loved his play against Burns who was bullying Aidoo for position. Awaka has struggled in the past against height. He’s taller than Grant who had success against tall guys by pinning them down with his hips. Wonder if that’s a skill Awaka could learn or if it was one of Grant’s natural gifts?
He definitely has the body and strength for it. Maybe Grant could tutor him in the offseason.

Yea, I just knew Sharp and Cisse were long, tall defenders. Rebounding will be tough.
Possibly, but being tall and long doesn’t necessarily guarantee them winning on the boards. There are a lot of taller front lines that get beaten on the boards because those tall guys can’t really move. It saying it’s the case for this team, but UT played some team a couple years ago with a couple 7 foot plus guys who could t buy a rebound.

Possibly, but being tall and long doesn’t necessarily guarantee them winning on the boards. There are a lot of taller front lines that get beaten on the boards because those tall guys can’t really move. It saying it’s the case for this team, but UT played some team a couple years ago with a couple 7 foot plus guys who could t buy a rebound.
Our 7’-2” Uros was a physical big but still wasn’t a strong rebounder.

I’m not sure I would consider Sharp and Cisse as stiff. Sharp led the nation in blocks. Both have athleticism and can defend.

Reactions: chuckiepoo

VN Store

Back