The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

I think Vescovi is so competitive and works so hard on the defensive (and offensive) side that he takes it personally when he gets beat and/or scored on. Plus, I think Santi undercover has a little bit of a temper with that Dog in him , he will make a hard foul and/or sneaky contact to set the tone for the game. Like, I'm going to be in your a$$ all night and I'm going to be physical. Some people may call this blasphemy, but Santi Isn't afraid to take a borderline kinda cheap shot, maybe not on purpose. Still, he has that reputation in the SEC and the refs know it . Point being, refs are watching him and quick with the whistle
Santi 100% has that dog in him. He's not what you'd call a vocal leader, but he's far from a flat, emotionless, robotic player.

I don’t have the data to back this up, but even last year it seemed Santi would pick up 2 fouls in the first half every other game. He seems to have an uncanny ability to not foul at all in the second half, which I think drives his overall foul average down. I’d love to see his foul per half average over his career.
Came here to post this same thing. His foul trouble seems isolated to the first 10 minutes of the first half. He doesn’t seem to have this issue in the 2nd half or down the stretch.

Looked up some quick stats about Santi and personal fouls. Interestingly enough he’s fouled out of 5 career games and in 4/5 of those he logged 30+ minutes and had scored in double figures. The one game where he fouled out and scored less than 10 points was in 2020 against Kansas and he still played great finishing with 9 points, 5 rebounds and 3 assists.

I say let him foul!

Annual rant: it will always be so weird to me how much the national basketball media hates Rick Barnes and Tennessee. Obviously it’s a great driver for them when we’re good in football so we get a lot of coverage, but in hoops, I never see a national guy miss a chance to disparage our team.

Typically hate Field of 68 because they (mostly) embody this, but saw where we were in their title for the weekend’s episode. Flipped it on just to hear some CBB breakdowns. Starts off with a glowing Bruce Pearl interview, followed by them talking about just about every other good (and average) P6 team. They finally get to Tennessee beating Alabama by 20 and all it is is fatass John Fanta and idiot Goodman openly saying they hate Tennessee, would never buy stock in them, Knecht doesn’t really change anything, etc, etc, etc. They then quickly change the subject to Duke, where they all did a spin zone about how their loss at home to Pitt didn’t matter because Roach was out.

Just an annoyed vent, I know most everyone in here feels the same. Eff the national media, I hope Barnes gets a chance to shove it down their throats in a few months.

Also, shoutout Rob Dauster for standing up and buying some Vols F4 stock.

Annual rant: it will always be so weird to me how much the national basketball media hates Rick Barnes and Tennessee. Obviously it’s a great driver for them when we’re good in football so we get a lot of coverage, but in hoops, I never see a national guy miss a chance to disparage our team.

Typically hate Field of 68 because they (mostly) embody this, but saw where we were in their title for the weekend’s episode. Flipped it on just to hear some CBB breakdowns. Starts off with a glowing Bruce Pearl interview, followed by them talking about just about every other good (and average) P6 team. They finally get to Tennessee beating Alabama by 20 and all it is is fatass John Fanta and idiot Goodman openly saying they hate Tennessee, would never buy stock in them, Knecht doesn’t really change anything, etc, etc, etc. They then quickly change the subject to Duke, where they all did a spin zone about how their loss at home to Pitt didn’t matter because Roach was out.

Just an annoyed vent, I know most everyone in here feels the same. Eff the national media, I hope Barnes gets a chance to shove it down their throats in a few months.

Eff those chumps

It’s comparable to Nate Oats commenting to the media about an opponent jawing with his bench - why validate it by recognizing it? It’s just social media static from idiots who don’t know what they’re talking about. VOLS against the world!

I listened to that same episode and had the same thought, was total BS. I will say that my favorite national guy is Matt Norlander. Seems he is pretty objective and does a nice job of sharing his opinion on the sport.

Lol. I brought that exact episode up in another thread, too. I wouldn’t put much stock in it. The Field of 68 is drivel. If you follow them on Twitter, they have openly admitted to making dramatic headlines to try and get clicks and views. They also spend the majority of their time talking about the blue bloods because of their fanbase.

I mean the night Zvonimir debuted (I refuse to call him Big Z) those clowns had merch created and were spam tweeting about it to try and sucker in UK fans to buying some.

You can also just tell they don’t actually watch us play because on that episode Jeff Goodman called us the most boring and bland Top 10 team to watch and our style of play has been fast paced and exciting this year and we have a potential All-American on our roster. No one can seriously think we’re boring.

They’re the worst of the worst. I just listen to them and a few other podcasts to keep the pulse of what is going on in college basketball.

I listened to that same episode and had the same thought, was total BS. I will say that my favorite national guy is Matt Norlander. Seems he is pretty objective and does a nice job of sharing his opinion on the sport.

Matt Norlander is great and pretty balanced. His analysis and discussion of teams is also way more nuanced than anything you’ll find on Field of 68.

I’ve actually enjoyed listening to the Eye on College Basketball podcast this season. Parrish hasn’t been as insufferable as normal.

Lol. I brought that exact episode up in another thread, too. I wouldn’t put much stock in it. The Field of 68 is drivel. If you follow them on Twitter, they have openly admitted to making dramatic headlines to try and get clicks and views. They also spend the majority of their time talking about the blue bloods because of their fanbase.

I mean the night Zvonimir debuted (I refuse to call him Big Z) those clowns had merch created and were spam tweeting about it to try and sucker in UK fans to buying some.

You can also just tell they don’t actually watch us play because on that episode Jeff Goodman called us the most boring and bland Top 10 team to watch and our style of play has been fast paced and exciting this year and we have a potential All-American on our roster. No one can seriously think we’re boring.

They’re the worst of the worst. I just listen to them and a few other podcasts to keep the pulse of what is going on in college basketball.
I always vow to never listen to them and then as soon as they put us in a headline I fall prey again. An endless cycle. Eye on CBB and 3MW are much better IMO (I wish Three Man Weave dropped with the frequency of F68, although Root can be annoying at times too). I also enjoyed Titus and Tate/One Shining Pod until their recent break up. Mark Titus’ new barstool pod has been unlistenable for me in the recent past tho and, while I love Tate and Kyle on the Ringer, OSP just isn’t the same without the old combo.

This! How about your 5th yr senior just stops committing stupid fouls, instead? It isn't like the majority of those fouls are purely hustle plays or situations where he's simply trying to prevent an easy basket. They are dumb, undisciplined fouls (silly reach-ins, mostly) that a sophomore has no business committing, let alone a 5th yr senior. And he just continues to do it game after game.
100%

I could not believe the 2nd foul he picked up at GA which really hurt us...he played great D initially and the kid fell on the ground and, for some reason, SV decided to jump on him 😭

I'm sure I've missed it or it's been talked about... but why do we have a week off? I can't ever remember us having a week off before during conference play. I wish we would have had next week off instead to prepare/rest for UK.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I'm sure I've missed it or it's been talked about... but why do we have a week off? I can't ever remember us having a week off before during conference play. I wish we would have had next week off instead to prepare/rest for UK.
Everyone in the SEC gets 1 off-day this year. The bad news for us is that our off day comes before playing Vandy pretty early in the year. The good news is that no one in the SEC gets an off day immediately before playing us.

Interesting that Kentucky filled their off day with a non conference game against Gonzaga.

Everyone in the SEC gets 1 off-day this year. The bad news for us is that our off day comes before playing Vandy pretty early in the year. The good news is that no one in the SEC gets an off day immediately before playing us.

Interesting that Kentucky filled their off day with a non conference game against Gonzaga.

Gonna be a long week with no UT basketball.

Danny White calling out our fanbase for whining about the basketball student section lol. I don’t necessarily disagree with him, but I also don’t think the atmosphere in TBA is as good as it could be.

Reactions: berryvol

VN Store

Back