The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

I think a potentially overlooked quality of Barnes is that he is elite at hiring.

We consistently have great assistants that recruit well.

I think his reputation as a boss and longevity have enabled that.
And at this point it’s a train that just kind of keeps rolling…his assistants get looks at head coaching jobs within 2-3 years at most, so guys are lined up begging at the opportunity most of the time.

I think a potentially overlooked quality of Barnes is that he is elite at hiring.

We consistently have great assistants that recruit well.

I think his reputation as a boss and longevity have enabled that.
I was originally critical of the Clark and Gainey hires because they were both brought in with supposed recruiting ties and then took some time to consummate those ties into actual results in recruiting.

I still don't know that they are on the same level as Ogden, Lanier, Schwartz, English, Oliver, but they have done well.

Polinsky might be the key to our offensive turnaround and slight change in philosophy. If we keep up our current pace, he's worth his weight in gold.

Culture is his biggest strength. Good assistant coaches want to coach under him and good players want to join this culture because they know it will make them better players and people. Some of the strictly basketball stuff he is average at. Like in game bench coaching for example.

I don’t agree that CRB’s in game coaching is average. I think he has a different approach that doesn’t sit well with casual observers. Like using his TOs. His philosophy is to let his well drilled players battle through adversity. He will burn one every now and then to settle down an away crowd, but I think that it’s more likely so that he can make adjustments with his personnel.

I also think that because his philosophy is to stick with the game plan that the team has been practicing for several days or longer rather than to throw it away and try something else it is misinterpreted as being average with strictly basketball stuff in game coaching. The adjustments are there - just not necessarily obvious or wholesale. UT has rarely lost games of late by more than 10 or 15 points. They dug out of the huge deficit at UNC and had a chance to win. A panicking coach with a demonstrative sideline persona might be making all sorts of adjustments and turning 15 point deficits into 30 point deficits. I don’t consider the consistency and patience to be a flaw or an absence of basketball stuff. It’s just a different philosophy. It’s won him a whole lot of basketball games.

I was originally critical of the Clark and Gainey hires because they were both brought in with supposed recruiting ties and then took some time to consummate those ties into actual results in recruiting.

I still don't know that they are on the same level as Ogden, Lanier, Schwartz, English, Oliver, but they have done well.

Polinsky might be the key to our offensive turnaround and slight change in philosophy. If we keep up our current pace, he's worth his weight in gold.

Gus Polinski?
IMG_7684.jpeg

I don’t agree that CRB’s in game coaching is average. I think he has a different approach that doesn’t sit well with casual observers. Like using his TOs. His philosophy is to let his well drilled players battle through adversity. He will burn one every now and then to settle down an away crowd, but I think that it’s more likely so that he can make adjustments with his personnel.

I also think that because his philosophy is to stick with the game plan that the team has been practicing for several days or longer rather than to throw it away and try something else it is misinterpreted as being average with strictly basketball stuff in game coaching. The adjustments are there - just not necessarily obvious or wholesale. UT has rarely lost games of late by more than 10 or 15 points. They dug out of the huge deficit at UNC and had a chance to win. A panicking coach with a demonstrative sideline persona might be making all sorts of adjustments and turning 15 point deficits into 30 point deficits. I don’t consider the consistency and patience to be a flaw or an absence of basketball stuff. It’s just a different philosophy. It’s won him a whole lot of basketball games.

I’ll say, his in-game adjustments have been more obvious this year than any other year. Markedly so IMO

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Culture is his biggest strength. Good assistant coaches want to coach under him and good players want to join this culture because they know it will make them better players and people. Some of the strictly basketball stuff he is average at. Like in game bench coaching for example.
Ridiculous statement. You don’t win 800 games by being an “average” bench coach.

TIFWIW but Teamrankings has us as the last 1 seed with a 39 percent chance to get it. We have a 34 percent chance to get a 2.

Just win the games you’re supposed to and I think we get no worse than a 2. Just can’t afford a slip up to a trash team that isn’t in the upper half of the conference.

Good chance this was already discussed, but did the commentators (possibly a podcast) mention English sitting behind the bench in one of our last few games? And am I incorrect thinking he left here on (supposedly) not great terms?

Someone fill me in please, I'm cooking spaghetti.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
USC is good, but the Vols don't lose at home. We don't lose at Vandy, unless they have a superstar, they don't, 6-1 going into Rupp
Some people sweat the small stuff, Vandy is a below average team and South Carolina isn't in Tennessee area code at Food Center Center..

Reactions: The Dog
Good chance this was already discussed, but did the commentators (possibly a podcast) mention English sitting behind the bench in one of our last few games? And am I incorrect thinking he left here on (supposedly) not great terms?

Someone fill me in please, I'm cooking spaghetti.
His team had an open date and he visited. Relax. Tay, Tay was not in attendance… 🤣

VN Store

Back