The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

The athletic predicts that one of these 6 teams will win the title: Purdue, UConn, Auburn, UNC, The Tennessee Volunteers! and Kentucky (yes, 3 in the SEC)

Tennessee: The defense was good enough a year ago to contend, but the Volunteers had an offensive problem. Enter Dalton Knecht, who is the hottest scorer in college hoops right now. Tennessee is old — three fifth-year seniors in the starting lineup along with two juniors — and it still has one of the sport’s best defenses.

They do point out that the lowest rated defense in the Ken Pom era (since 1999) to win a title was #22 and UK is currently ranked 73rd in D....

Danny White calling out our fanbase for whining about the basketball student section lol. I don’t necessarily disagree with him, but I also don’t think the atmosphere in TBA is as good as it could be.

He's not calling out our fanbase. He's calling out one dude who has tagged him 5 times griping. Just like in here, the fan base is fine: a few idjits are not indicative.

@bleedingTNorange just out of curiosity when are you going to do an “Official Seed List Watch Party” thread this year? I went and looked back when you started it last year and weirdly it was exactly a year ago today that you started the thread last year. It’s getting that time of year
I can start to look towards starting 1 for sure

Kentucky falls to South Carolina. Would not be surprised if USC jumps into top 25 next week, probably in 19-25 range. 16-3 team with a win over 6th ranked Kentucky. Just another opportunity for us to get a quality win.

As long as they don’t lose to winless Mizzou this weekend, they’ll be ranked. Definitely going to be a tougher game next week than I would have imagined at the start of the year. Paris has done a pretty remarkable job with that program.

As long as they don’t lose to winless Mizzou this weekend, they’ll be ranked. Definitely going to be a tougher game next week than I would have imagined at the start of the year. Paris has done a pretty remarkable job with that program.
I think we’ll be fine, at least I hope. Their RPI is in the mid-40’s IIRC. Agree about Lamont Paris, though. I liked what he did at UTC and if he keeps it up he’ll be a hot prospect at some bigger basketball schools in the near future.

Assuming Tennessee keeps playing well and winds up getting a #1 or #2 (perhaps #3, hopefully worst case scenario) seed, is Memphis vs. Charlotte essentially a crapshoot when it comes to hosting the Vols for the First/Second rounds? It seems likely that UNC will be up there when the dust settles and claim one of the two "spots" in Charlotte, but don't know if it's almost entirely the S-Curve allowing teams to pick their home (in which case I assume UT would prefer playing in Charlotte over remaining in state for proximity purposes?) or if there are other factors at play that might nudge the Vols closer to one or the other.

Assuming Tennessee keeps playing well and winds up getting a #1 or #2 (perhaps #3, hopefully worst case scenario) seed, is Memphis vs. Charlotte essentially a crapshoot when it comes to hosting the Vols for the First/Second rounds? It seems likely that UNC will be up there when the dust settles and claim one of the two "spots" in Charlotte, but don't know if it's almost entirely the S-Curve allowing teams to pick their home (in which case I assume UT would prefer playing in Charlotte over remaining in state for proximity purposes?) or if there are other factors at play that might nudge the Vols closer to one or the other.
#2 seed probably play in Memphis..

If Memphis stays in top 15 by seasons end they most likely send them to Charlotte..

I would rather play in Memphis with a arena full of Orange ,than Charlotte full of UNC blue..

#2 seed probably play in Memphis..

If Memphis stays in top 15 by seasons end they most likely send them to Charlotte..

I would rather play in Memphis with a arena full of Orange ,than Charlotte full of UNC blue..
That's a good point about the Tigers going to Charlotte; bad week, but if they buck up and win the AAC they'll be in the conversation for a #3 seed and Charlotte makes sense for them.

Selfishly, I want the Vols to play in Memphis because I really don't feel like going to Charlotte twice in a year... though I expect the football game will have no real bearing on the decision for the powers that be.

I think a potentially overlooked quality of Barnes is that he is elite at hiring.

We consistently have great assistants that recruit well.

I think his reputation as a boss and longevity have enabled that.
Culture is his biggest strength. Good assistant coaches want to coach under him and good players want to join this culture because they know it will make them better players and people. Some of the strictly basketball stuff he is average at. Like in game bench coaching for example.

I think a potentially overlooked quality of Barnes is that he is elite at hiring.

We consistently have great assistants that recruit well.

I think his reputation as a boss and longevity have enabled that.
Not that long ago, we had some folks that questioned both Justin Gainey and Rod Clark as far as recruiting was concerned. I don’t hear that stuff now. I have no idea how they are as compared to other assistants from the past, but college basketball recruiting can be fickle.

Clark’s discovery of Dalton Knecht was a big win for his coaching career.

Just watching some DK early season highlights this morning and man...we should really cherish this dude for the year that we have him. This team has a chance to be special.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
From the athletic:

ABCE71B7-6C6A-4EC9-B3AD-E7A3FD0AF165.jpeg

Tennessee​

I picked Duke in the preseason in large part because I anticipated a huge breakout for Tyrese Proctor. Still waiting on that one. I have no idea who’s going to win this thing, so I’m going bold. Why the Volunteers? Because Rick Barnes finally has the offense to match his manhandling defense, starting with microwave scorer Dalton Knecht. We’re used to seeing Tennessee struggle to score 60 points as they bow out of the NCAA Tournament, but that shouldn’t happen this year. These have been the Vols’ point totals in their last four SEC wins: 91, 85, 85 and 90. Since Zakai Zeigler regained his pre-ACL tear form in December, Tennessee has been hard to beat; per Bart Torvik, they rank No. 3 in adjusted efficiency since Christmas Day, behind only Houston and Tennessee.

There are size concerns here; if Jonas Aidoo gets in foul trouble, this team gets pretty small pretty quickly, and that could be fatal against an Edey or a Clingan. And of course, the elephant in the arena is Barnes, who’s not exactly known as Mr. March. Then again, if you’re banking on a Purdue breakthrough in the tournament, why not Tennessee? In a season where very few preconceived notions have held true, let’s go for a true paradigm-shifter. But ask me — and all of us — again on Selection Sunday. — Brian Bennett

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Not that long ago, we had some folks that questioned both Justin Gainey and Rod Clark as far as recruiting was concerned. I don’t hear that stuff now. I have no idea how they are as compared to other assistants from the past, but college basketball recruiting can be fickle.

Clark’s discovery of Dalton Knecht was a big win for his coaching career.
I don’t think DK was a secret when he hit the portal. He was top 15 iirc.

VN Store

Back