The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

I understand that the team missed a lot of open shots. I’m not saying this particular game is entirely one person’s fault. There is a lot of blame to go around.

But South Carolina did exactly what we expected South Carolina to do. They slowed the game down and we let them dictate the pace for all 40 minutes. That is not entirely on coaching, but you have to do more to try and force the team to play your style of basketball. I’m not saying Barnes should own this loss. Tons of players didn’t do their job. Just an observation that LaMont Paris was the better coach tonight.
Yeah, coaches are no different that players. Sometimes you just get out done. One coach is pushing all the right buttons and the other can't get anything to work. It will be interesting to see what Coach Barnes has in store for the next matchup.

Lol UNC lost to Georgia Tech, figures on a night Tennessee loses also..
RJ Davis was 11-24 from the field. So was Dalton.
NC missed a bunch of FT’s. So did Tennessee.
NC shot 28% from three. So did Tennessee.
NC got outrebounded. So did Tennessee.

The difference is that Georgia Tech is 10-11 and South Carolina is 18-3. It was a bad loss, but NC had a “badder” loss in some ways.

RJ Davis was 11-24 from the field. So was Dalton.
NC missed a bunch of FT’s. So did Tennessee.
NC shot 28% from three. So did Tennessee.
NC got outrebounded. So did Tennessee.

The difference is that Georgia Tech is 10-11 and South Carolina is 18-3. It was a bad loss, but NC had a “badder” loss in some ways.
They were on the road though. There’s no great equalizer like home court in CBB, so it’s perceived as far worse to lose at home. That said, I think they’re both equally as bad. We lost to the better team, but should’ve never been punked in TBA like that.

We had a 31 win season, didn't win regular season or SECT Tournament title and only made the Sweet Sixteen.

I just want this team to be at its best in March. Seeding doesn't matter much if you're hot at the right time. Got 11 games left of regular season, just going to enjoy watching the best offensive weapon we've had under Barnes and see what happens. Try to be playing our best ball going into the tournament that's all. Win another 8 or more and seeding will be fine.

Last edited:
Couldn’t agree more. I actually think this was the biggest problem last night. Some of our upperclassmen have always had passive personalities and look to pass first, but Dalton being an alpha has actually made the problem worse.

JJJ and Mashack aren’t even looking to hunt their shot anymore. Earlier in conference play, Maschack was taking and making 3’s and attack the basket. He completely stopped doing that. Others haven’t been much better. This offense can’t just be Knecht. Everyone else needs to step up. I’d much prefer to see Knecht stop scoring 30+ a night and win ball games than lose them.

Very true, also Dalton’s efficiency will improve if he isn’t having to take 20+ shots and play 35 minutes a night every night.

Against Vandy we had ZZ, Santi & Gainey all pick up slack scoring why DK was sitting.

JJJ needs to take his shots, even if he’s missing them the team is creating him looks and he has to take them, we all know eventually they’ll start falling again.

okay yesterday sucked...a lot. But I think this could get this team to wake tf up and piss them off to go to UK and get the win. At least it should
The problem is that we could play much better and still lose at Ky. It is a great oppurtnity to flush this for sure

Wasn’t a big fan of the rotation last night. Vescovi seemed like he hardly saw the court the last 5–8 minutes which is hard to believe. Mashack only got 15 minutes. Would be interested to see our record when mashack plays less than 20.

Edit: looked it up. Against power 5 teams we’re 3-6 when mashack plays less than 20 minutes. 5-0 when he plays 20+. Maybe they just don’t trust him as much against the better teams, but he’s a tone setter and needs 20 minutes a night imo. Bring jjj down to 25 minutes until he gets healthy/back on track.

Also to add. Vescovi went to the bench with 5:02 left in the game and never.l came back in.

Last edited:
Knecht has obviously been great, but think in order for the team to take the next step he needs to look to get his teammates more involved when he’s drawing defenders. A couple times last night he had guys wide open for a corner 3 but instead went up with it against 2-3 defenders. We’ve seen him score on those a lot, so hard to fault him too much but think things will open up more for him if we can get some guys hitting from 3 on the kickout. Going forward I’d expect teams to double down hard on his drive until he starts adjusting

Team doesn’t have a true identity outside of Dalton right now. We gotta figure it out over the next few games. Well-balanced teams only work when multiple players are capable of scoring 20 points per game. That hasn’t been the case this year

Team doesn’t have a true identity outside of Dalton right now. We gotta figure it out over the next few games. Well-balanced teams only work when multiple players are capable of scoring 20 points per game. That hasn’t been the case this year
Make layups and FT’s and that outcome looks drastically different, not sure that should shape the identity crisis we apparently have

Make layups and FT’s and that outcome looks drastically different, not sure that should shape the identity crisis we apparently have

Really is that simple. Coaches & players are focusing on that not happening again.

Love that DK went right back on the court to get up FTs after the game. The entire team should have that mindset. Hope the young guys are learning from his example.

Really is that simple. Coaches & players are focusing on that not happening again.

Love that DK went right back on the court to get up FTs after the game. The entire team should have that mindset. Hope the young guys are learning from his example.
I love his mindset and intentions, but I also want him to rest his body. I’m sure the staff are helping him manage that. That entire team works very hard, I know that.

I love his mindset and intentions, but I also want him to rest his body. I’m sure the staff are helping him manage that. That entire team works very hard, I know that.

Honestly after a game when you’re fatigued is exactly when you should get up Free Throws. I don’t think he needs to be doing full speed drills or anything.

But the best players learn to play at a high level even when tired. Being able to have his teammates step it up so we’re not stuck on offense when he gets a rest in game is what he really needs.

Honestly after a game when you’re fatigued is exactly when you should get up Free Throws. I don’t think he needs to be doing full speed drills or anything.

But the best players learn to play at a high level even when tired. Being able to have his teammates step it up so we’re not stuck on offense when he gets a rest in game is what he really needs.
Probably right

VN Store

Back