The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

Thinking about the schedule ahead, it feels like these next 6 games will be the most important of the one’s left on our schedule, IMO.

That final 4 game stretch will be tough no matter how you slice it, but our next 6 games are all against teams you are better than. Three of them are against the actual bottom three teams in the league.

If we can go 6-0 in this stretch, we’ll basically be playing with house money those final 4 games.
I posted something similar to this in another thread. I think the A&M/Arkansas road stretch could end up being what determines how we fare in the SEC race. Unless we implode in the final 4 games.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Thinking about the schedule ahead, it feels like these next 6 games will be the most important of the one’s left on our schedule, IMO.

That final 4 game stretch will be tough no matter how you slice it, but our next 6 games are all against teams you are better than. Three of them are against the actual bottom three teams in the league.

If we can go 6-0 in this stretch, we’ll basically be playing with house money those final 4 games.
… sounds like a broadcaster proclaiming someone approaching the free throw line is 23-23 …

My weekend was hectic, and I had to watch my DVR of the game on Sunday morning. What a great win and exciting game! I did not expect us to give up 90+ points, but I also did not expect us to hang a century at Rupp.

It will be interesting to see how South Carolina handles being the hunted instead of the hunter now. Jumped all the way to #15 in the AP Poll. I think they fed off some of the disrespect these past few weeks.
Well we’re gonna find out tomorrow. Ole Miss and Chris Beard are coming off a home loss and they still have a legitimate chance to get into the tournament. I know they typically haven’t been good on the road but I believe they’re gonna give SC a good test.

Reactions: berryvol
It will be interesting to see how South Carolina handles being the hunted instead of the hunter now. Jumped all the way to #15 in the AP Poll. I think they fed off some of the disrespect these past few weeks.

Hopefully not well. Give them credit but I do think their W over us was more a fluke than not.

Hopefully not well. Give them credit but I do think their W over us was more a fluke than not.

I don't know if I would consider it a fluke. They dismantled Kentucky. And they beat Georgia in Athens by more than we did. They aren't as flashy as us and don't have a player like Knecht, but they are an extremely physical team. They're good. Their roster isn't as talented as Alabama, Auburn, Tennessee, or Kentucky, so it will be interesting to see if they play a bit more towards expectations soon or remain this good all season. People kept waiting for Texas A&M to collapse last year in league play, and they just never did.

That win was certainly assisted by our inability to throw it in the ocean standing on a hundred foot pier, but they also have some players and obviously a good coach. The win was fluky, but their start isn't, IMO.

Reactions: BernardKingGOAT
I feel like we've had at least two or three seasons since Bruce first arrived where we are the best/highest ranked team in the league for most of the season but cannot pull off the regular season championship. Hoping we avoid that fate this year. I enjoyed the SEC Tournament win that exorcised some demons, but it's pretty clear the regular season title will do more for us in the eyes of the selection committee.

I feel like we've had at least two or three seasons since Bruce first arrived where we are the best/highest ranked team in the league for most of the season but cannot pull off the regular season championship. Hoping we avoid that fate this year. I enjoyed the SEC Tournament win that exorcised some demons, but it's pretty clear the regular season title will do more for us in the eyes of the selection committee.

It's a hard league to win, especially since there are unbalanced schedules. And you always have one team that comes out of the blue to complicate things, like South Carolina or Texas A&M these last two years.

I don't know if I would consider it a fluke. They dismantled Kentucky. And they beat Georgia in Athens by more than we did. They aren't as flashy as us and don't have a player like Knecht, but they are an extremely physical team. They're good. Their roster isn't as talented as Alabama, Auburn, Tennessee, or Kentucky, so it will be interesting to see if they play a bit more towards expectations soon or remain this good all season. People kept waiting for Texas A&M to collapse last year in league play, and they just never did.

I don't think they are a fluke, but I think they played us at probably our worst all season. That part I think was a bit flukey.

I know I’m late to the game here but I watched the Tim Donaghy doc on Netflix last night, very interesting stuff. Highly recommend for anyone who hasn’t watched it.

I don't think they are a fluke, but I think they played us at probably our worst all season. That part I think was a bit flukey.

They did. But, I have a hard time calling that game a fluke because we played our worst game of the season in part because of how they played us. It is weird to say, but even though we are an extremely physical team, we have not responded well to physicality this year. South Carolina bullied us and that had a direct affect on our confidence shooting the ball, IMO. We also saw that happen in the Mississippi State game, except Knecht almost single-handedly saved us.

Yeah, we shot poorly against South Carolina. But, at least for me, I contribute a lot of that to the Gamecocks rattling us. We need to get better at responding to teams combatting our physicality with even more physicality.

My weekend was hectic, and I had to watch my DVR of the game on Sunday morning. What a great win and exciting game! I did not expect us to give up 90+ points, but I also did not expect us to hang a century at Rupp.

I credit 10+ on each side of that score to Kentucky fouling starting at 2 minutes to go, to from what I can tell, get some obscure bench scoring record for Dillingham. Kentucky fans were livid about it, so I was fine with it.

Dalton also averages less minutes per game than Edey.

If you remove Edey and Dalton from their respective team’s stat sheets the next 5 highest scorers on our team combine for 45 points per game. Purdue’s next 5 highest scorers average a combined 50 points per game.

Remove Edey’s 23 PPG and Dalton’s 20 PPG and Purdue still averages 5 more PPG than we do.

It’s not apples-to-apples.

But hey, let’s agree to disagree.
I need the updated numbers Indy…

I need the updated numbers Indy…
Beet, you’re killin me here.

Dalton still averages less MPG and PPG than Edey. Purdue averages 85.3 PPG, Vols average 79.6 PPG.

Vols with 2 guys averaging 11 or more PPG, Purdue has 4 guys averaging 11 or more PPG.

Beet averages 0.0 infractions per year on VolNation, Indy averages 3.6 infractions per year.

Dalton still averages less MPG and PPG than Edey. Purdue averages 85.3 PPG, Vols average 79.6 PPG.

Vols with 2 guys averaging 11 or more PPG, Purdue has 4 guys averaging 11 or more PPG.

Beet averages 0.0 infractions per year on VolNation, Indy averages 3.6 infractions per year.
Was actually looking for the updated numbers of the stat you provided in the post I quoted, gotta think those numbers are moving closer and closer together 😉

Was actually looking for the updated numbers of the stat you provided in the post I quoted, gotta think those numbers are moving closer and closer together 😉
Remove Dalton and our next 5 scorers average 46.3PPG, Remove Edey and Purdue’s next 5 guys average 49.8PPG. Yes, moving closer together, but not quite enough to support your argument yet. Our total went up mostly because of ZZ’s PPG average, which went up substantially after Kentucky. Hopefully he can keep it going.

Take it easy on me, I’m still learning.

BTO- 6,022.75 VolNation posts per year; 16.5 posts per day

Indy- 553.50 VolNation posts per year; 1.52 posts per day

I would love a rematch in EE or FF

VN Store

Back