The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

Santi needs 12 points to hit 1500 and 5 steals to hit 200, he'll be the first player in UT history to reach 1500 points, 500 rebounds, 400 assists, and 200 steals. He'd need a few really big games, but if he reaches 212 steals he'd be the career leader.

ZZ is at 160 career steals already...so good chance he ends up with the career record before his time here ends.

For what it’s worth, Will Baker is an outstanding player. Really good in all phases. It was interesting that the LSU roster shows him 7’0” and 245 pounds. UT has Aidoo listed at 241, and there’s no way they are close to the same weight.

I still have PTSD from this game last year

I wouldn’t be shocked if we see that again this year. A&M is a physical team that likes to draw fouls and shoot free throws. We need to attack the basket Saturday and force them to foul as well. Can’t let them for +18 from the line again.

For what it’s worth, Will Baker is an outstanding player. Really good in all phases. It was interesting that the LSU roster shows him 7’0” and 245 pounds. UT has Aidoo listed at 241, and there’s no way they are close to the same weight.

I'd say both those weights are off. Aidoo over 230lbs would be a shock to me. He has added good size (muscle) since his first year though. I'd also be shocked if Baker (if he's a legit 7'0" guy) is under 260lbs.

Reactions: cardvolfan
Vols come in at #3 in the latest athletic rankings from Brendan Marks and Kyle Tucker

3. Tennessee (17-5)​

Last week: 5

X-factor: Josiah-Jordan James

You gotta love those sneaky, under-the-radar McDonald’s All-Americans. Somehow, James fits the X-factor criteria, despite his former five-star status and the fact he’s played in 130 college games. He’s averaged a perfectly respectable nine points and six boards in his career, but James is always a threat to get rolling and remind everyone what all that hype was about. Like Saturday at Rupp Arena, when he punished Kentucky for zeroing in on Dalton Knecht by pouring in a career-high 26 points. James also had 23 and seven boards in a neutral-site win over NC State, 14 and six in a win at Wisconsin, 12 points, seven assists, six boards in a win over Illinois. Knecht might be SEC Player of the Year, Zakai Zeigler might be the SEC assist leader and Jonas Aidoo might be the best big man in the league not named Johni Broome, but James is sneaky important to these Vols. They’re 11-1 when he has at least eight points and five boards in a game — the only loss coming at No. 3 UNC. They’re just 5-4 when James — who scored eight points and didn’t miss a shot from the field in Wednesday’s 88-68 win over LSU — is held below five. “He is a huge part of this program,” Rick Barnes said after UT’s statement win in Lexington. “What we told our guys is we aren’t going to sit around and watch Dalton do it. We have too many good players.”

at A&M
at Arkansas
vs Vandy
at Missouri
vs A&M

vs Auburn
at Bama
at South Carolina
vs Kentucky

Damn are we backloaded... really need to win the ones in bold. The others I'd honestly have 50/50 toss-ups at this point. Auburn & Kentucky here will be a good thing but it's hard to beat the Wildcats twice in the regular season and they always seem to get things figured out to end the year.

If we play like we did vs Bama and at Rupp we really could go 9-0. But we have an off offensive night like vs South Carolina and there's 5 or 6 losses that could happen too.

at A&M
at Arkansas
vs Vandy
at Missouri
vs A&M

vs Auburn
at Bama
at South Carolina
vs Kentucky

Damn are we backloaded... really need to win the ones in bold. The others I'd honestly have 50/50 toss-ups at this point. Auburn & Kentucky here will be a good thing but it's hard to beat the Wildcats twice in the regular season and they always seem to get things figured out to end the year.

If we play like we did vs Bama and at Rupp we really could go 9-0. But we have an off offensive night like vs South Carolina and there's 5 or 6 losses that could happen too.

Yep. I was saying before the LSU game that this stretch of games before we host Auburn is crucial. Likely the most important stretch left. If you can run the table against teams you should be beating anyway, you’ll be in position to have basically locked up a 2 seed and will play with house money those final 4 games.

Consistency is key. Just can’t go in an offensive slump. This next one will be the biggest test.

Apologize in advance and I’m sure this has been discussed ad nauseam here, but is there any information on DJ Jefferson? Seems like he has a ton of talent/potential and from all appearances, a good attitude. I thought we would have seen at least some garbage time PT by now.

Apologize in advance and I’m sure this has been discussed ad nauseam here, but is there any information on DJ Jefferson? Seems like he has a ton of talent/potential and from all appearances, a good attitude. I thought we would have seen at least some garbage time PT by now.

Here's the history, but may not be the primary factor now, not a lot of young guys getting run with the roster we have this year.

Reactions: Nuctech777

What is it? 1 minute since conference play began? Really strange considering how much he’d be needed in 2024-25. Lots of minutes will be available for Carr, DJ, and Dilione yet none of them are separating themselves and earning more than a minute or two between Dilione and Carr.

Year 2 guy and for his size/position I just think there is a backlog.

Santi, ZZ, Gainey, DK, Mashack playing the 1-3 positions. JJJ too, but we're using him pretty exclusively at the 4 spot this year.

And then when there are minutes they wanna get Freddie and Carr in ahead of DJ it seems.

DJ, if he has a thick enough skin ... and tons of tons of heart ... well, I think we will be very glad he stuck with it.
Here's hoping.

DJ, Carr, and Dilione playing at their potential would be an amazing backcourt year after next. They could make next year’s elite as well. Gainey plus ZZ. Mashack might even be able to slide into JJJ’s 4 spot.

BTW, I wish that Kesling was more like Brian Rice. With Kesling you have to pay close attention to which team is doing well. With Rice he lets his homer-ism show through.

Reactions: MoCo_Vol

VN Store

Back