The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

There are some very glaring flaws on this team showing themselves consistently. Concerning. Above all else the lack of any sort of consistency on offense. Kentucky may be dog water on defense but at least they show up every single night on offense and never take that off.

Twice in four games we’ve played teams that have been tougher than us and folded on offense because of it.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Bringing this here for potential discussion outside of the game thread, but one thing that’s been concerning this season is our long rebounding on 3 point attempts. I have no numbers to support this, but from the eye test, we have rebounded horribly on defense after three point attempts this season. It’s absolutely killed us tonight, against a team that usually don’t strike it from deep. Even in games we’ve won, like LSU, they seemingly rebounded at will off 3 point attempts.

JJJ had a fantastic game against Kentucky, but the lack of consistency from our 5th year seniors 23 games into the season is what has me very concerned about the outlook for the rest of the year.

Vescovi should be thriving with Knecht on this team. It’s been the exact opposite. JJJ still disappears way too quickly after having a good performance instead of building on it. I don’t know what to do to fix this team. The Arkansas game is NOT going to be easy. Lots to lose little to gain from that one. Bud Walton will be rocking and the script for Musselman to use is plain as day.

Beyond giving up so many offensive rebounds there was another factor in tonight's game that I hope we don't see again.

For an experienced team, our game management and shot selection at multiple times in tonight's game especially in the 1st half was not a good sign. A&M was on fire in the 1st half and we just needed to try and survive it but rather than being aggressive and going to the rim or feeding the posts to get higher percentage shots we continued to launch 3 pt shots and just got further behind. It was an immature and anxious response. Maybe the environment created it but an older team has to manage those situations better. Dug a huge whole and then came out the first 4 minutes in the 2nd half, didn't change a thing and dug ourselves a deeper hole. Should be a good teaching moment but for a veteran group like this, such lessons really shouldn't have to be taught again.

Aidoo has been so up & down too. If he could consistently hit his averages we’d have a better record.

Just hoping these problems are sorted out during the regular season. I’m not sure what’s up with Santi, JJJ has been pretty much an inconsistent scorer his whole career. Santi though has had some truly bad performances this year and that’s not been typical for him throughout his career.

JJJ had a fantastic game against Kentucky, but the lack of consistency from our 5th year seniors 23 games into the season is what has me very concerned about the outlook for the rest of the year.

Vescovi should be thriving with Knecht on this team. It’s been the exact opposite. JJJ still disappears way too quickly after having a good performance instead of building on it. I don’t know what to do to fix this team. The Arkansas game is NOT going to be easy. Lots to lose little to gain from that one. Bud Walton will be rocking and the script for Musselman to use is plain as day.
Not only does JJJ have a very inconsistent game but Barnes marriage to him and obsession with playing him 35 minutes a game for five years have left us with no plan B when he is off.

I do worry that if other players don’t step up, Knecht is going to be gassed and ineffective by the time March comes around. He looked exhausted out there. He shouldn’t have to have the weight of the world on his shoulders but way too often if he isn’t in the court this team is a mess. Gotta figure it out or we’re going to burn out Knecht.

I said it in the game thread, but I 100% think Jahmai needs to start ahead of Vescovi on Wednesday. Santi needs something to wake him up, and Jahmai has been playing better than him anyway, and especially did tonight
I made a similar observation in another thread a few days ago...statistically, we should have already been playing Mashack more than Santi. And Mashack outscored and outrebounded Santi last night in half the playing time.

I love Santi but he is basically giving us nothing at this point. Last night makes 14 out of 23 games where he has scored <10 pts and in 10 of those 14 he scored 6 or less. His stats are down in rebounds, assists, steals, and FT attempts.

Maybe coming off the bench will help him bring a different, more assertive mentality to the game. This could also provide more opportunity for him to get minutes while DK is on the bench resting...as this point, we can't ignore the addition of DK has a strong correlation to Santi's poor play this season.

Aidoo has been so up & down too. If he could consistently hit his averages we’d have a better record.

Just hoping these problems are sorted out during the regular season. I’m not sure what’s up with Santi, JJJ has been pretty much an inconsistent scorer his whole career. Santi though has had some truly bad performances this year and that’s not been typical for him throughout his career.
Aidoo's inconsistency and lack of physicality has really hurt us at times but Santi has hurt us more...10 games with 6 or less points and 14 games with less than 10 points from our former All SEC shooting guard. Mashack can do that, or better, and upgrade our perimeter defense which has been exposed at times by the better guards in the SEC.

Holy crap, what a terrible game of basketball. Uninspired, outworked, and outcoached. This game was not supposed to be a gimme by any means, but we decided to make it one for the benefit of A&M. No excuses for being so unprepared and getting absolutely torched in regards to hustle and effort.

To put it mildly, TAMU just straight up kicked our ass. As has been stated, so far physical teams have shut us down and we have no answer. We get punched in the face early and just keep getting punched in the face. We did make a sorta run but it was quickly shut down. The effort was the most concerning to me. Body language was terrible and the rebounding effort was pathetic. I know in some ways you can't do much about it but I am so damn tired of seeing teams have these games were the 3 is falling when it usually doesn't for them. Some were just "what can you do" but some were guys were left alone.

I know there is a lot of basketball left but I would bet every long timer around here is already having some bad thoughts about the dreaded "matchup problem" come NCAAT time.

Losing to South Carolina at home is what makes this loss hurt worse than it needed to. South Carolina is still worse than A&M in basically every metric. Losing that home game was just a killer to 1-seed hopes and SEC title hopes.

I know there is still a lot of ball left to be played, but I didn’t think we’d be 7-3 in conference and 4th place at this point in the season. Need to figure things out this week and get on a winning streak.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Losing to South Carolina at home is what makes this loss hurt worse than it needed to. South Carolina is still worse than A&M in basically every metric. Losing that home game was just a killer to 1-seed hopes and SEC title hopes.

I know there is still a lot of ball left to be played, but I didn’t think we’d be 7-3 in conference and 4th place at this point in the season. Need to figure things out this week and get on a winning streak.

True. You know UT will get Arkansas best effort this week. Need to show up from the tip and not fall behind

VN Store

Back