The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

We could probably create scenarios where we "don't want any part of _______" for every team in the top 25 if we just look at small data sets or specific wins.
Yes, probably so. I was more looking at a large data set, that being Creighton proving to be a great 3pt shooting team over the course of the season. Yes, against UConn, that one night, they were better than great.

Nevertheless, there are several teams in the top 25 that don’t worry me nearly as much as Creighton does. JMO

Worked once, let’s try it again. Go get this guy coach.

Several weeks ago I watched clips and videos of Robbie Avila. Guy isn't athletic but he is skilled and can definitely play ball. Looks like a classic big guy in Sunday church league but he plays like a poor man's version of Kevin Love.

Not the worst idea. Heard a guy on radio the other day say that coaches of teams that are pretty much assured of their seeding don’t mind getting knocked out of the conference tournament early. Playing 3 or 4 games in a row through Sunday is tough enough and then turn around and possibly play on Thursday. Get an extra day or two of rest.
Agree with all of this. Wouldn't lay down either but giving guys like Estrella, Phillips, Carr, and Dilione a good amount minutes for any game in the SEC tournament would be advisable. Just can't make it obvious or that is a bad look for the university and the league.

Agree with all of this. Wouldn't lay down either but giving guys like Estrella, Phillips, Carr, and Dilione a good amount minutes for any game in the SEC tournament would be advisable. Just can't make it obvious or that is a bad look for the university and the league.
I understand your logic, but if you posed the idea of playing freshmen to lose in the tournament to our top 8 rotational players, do you think any of them would agree? My guess is they would say let’s win the SEC tournament then go the next weekend and advance in March Madness. I know I would have wanted to play to win the SEC tournament when I was in college and wouldn’t have had one bit of worry about being fully recovered after 4-5 days. JMO

I understand your logic, but if you posed the idea of playing freshmen to lose in the tournament to our top 8 rotational players, do you think any of them would agree? My guess is they would say let’s win the SEC tournament then go the next weekend and advance in March Madness. I know I would have wanted to play to win the SEC tournament when I was in college and wouldn’t have had one bit of worry about being fully recovered after 4-5 days. JMO
Yes, you are correct and I'm sure none would agree to it but if delivered in the right context I think they would understand it and would be glad to see their teammates get more run. Ideally winning the SEC regular season is more important in my opinion to position us for the best seeding possible. That is goal # 1. If we drop our next 3 games, the SEC tournament becomes critical and have to do what is necessary to maintain at least a # 2 seed.

With regard to SEC tourney, I suppose I should have conveyed more clearly. My point is if we win SEC regular season, while you don't want to give away games in the SEC tournament, I wouldn't be playing any of these players (ie: Knecht, Zeigler, Aidoo) more than perhaps 28 minutes per game either. Players like Mashack, Awaka, and Gainey who are part of the regular rotation may very well get a few more minutes as well along with the frosh, given they are only averaging 13-18 minutes per game in conference play themselves and would not likely get any more than 25 at the most in the NCAA.

These are elite athletes so maybe a little extra rest for Knecht, Zeigler, and Aidoo (in particular) is inconsequential from a physical standpoint, but there is a mental aspect to the game as well, and due to the pressure of these last 4 conference games (which is like a playoff run itself due to quality of opponents), the pressure of the daily grind in SEC tournament, soon followed by expectations of the Dance, if we can achieve goals and give a few of these players a break, that would be ideal in my opinion. Still competing at a high level when performing but not maxing out on how much time they are putting it.

It's kinda like "tapering" which is how many athletes in other sports prepare for a big event or championship upcoming. I know that is an uncommon concept in team basketball, but it historically practiced in track, swimming, tennis...etc.. and has merit. If the SEC tournament didn't require daily games, it would not be as big of a deal as you have time for recovery. But it isn't common to play back-to-back-to-back basketball games in a row either. I don't like the format and don't think it is in the interests of the athlete to do this. It is in the interest of the SEC in making money for them to do this. Unfortunate or not, how teams do in the Dance is how teams are measured in college basketball. Whatever gives UT the best chance to do well in the NCAA, I'm in favor of. I acknowledge I may be making more out of this then necessary and could be wrong, but that's my take on it.

Well, they are far more likely to shoot 40% from 3 than shoot 40 free throws. They’ve shot 40% or better from 3 in 50% of their games.
I agree. My thought if we do an excellent job guarding the 3 point line and they are able to drive past us into the lane and benefit from a friendly whistle there, then we’re in trouble too.

Well, they are far more likely to shoot 40% from 3 than shoot 40 free throws. They’ve shot 40% or better from 3 in 50% of their games.

6f63a2431cee23fcae43f91e6a90972c.gif

VN Store

Back