The Official #1 Tennessee vs Notre Dame Super Regional Games Thread (Fri 6/10 6PM EST ESPN 2) ( Sat. 6/11 2PM EST ESPN ) (Sun. 6/12 1PM EST ESPN)

Why are you a Tennessee fan?

BC: I went to school there for a year. We can get all into that topic in some other thread. Then went to school in ATL. Moved back to KPT. I remember asking Daddy: What's going on with UT football? He said: Man, they have got a quarterback (Manning.) So, I have watched, listened, and learned. My daughter is a UT grad (OMG, it took 5 years to get her through with the major changes!!) Have been to several FB and basketball games. Gone to concerts at TBA. Have NEVER been to see a baseball game. I am surely missing out. GBO!

The brawling potato farmers are calling us clowns...

It's an exciting time for Notre Dame baseball to hear those words as a trip to the College World Series is on the line once again.

Tennessee will present a challenge the Irish haven't seen this season as the Vols are ranked No. 1 in the country and hold a record of 56-7, including an impressive 37-3 at Lindsey Nelson Stadium.

What stands out about the Vols? Well ... just about everything as Tennessee is No. 1 in the nation in ERA (2.38), and at the plate, the Vols are also ranked No. 1 in home runs (150) and runs scored (592).

It's quite the statement, but it doesn't stop there as Tennessee is different than any other program in the country with its attitude alone, according to a trusted source.

"What makes Tennessee so deadly ... Tennessee tries to absolutely intimidate its opponents," the source told ISD. "Some younger teams are not used to this and could fold in that ballpark. Tennessee batters will scream at Notre Dame's pitchers while running to first base. They will bat-flip like it's wiffle ball and try to bully opponents.

"It's important for Notre Dame to keep its composure and let Tennessee know they will not be intimidated."

The Irish aren't a team known for chirping, but Notre Dame started to show a little more emotion than usual last weekend in Statesboro, Georgia in the opening-round regional hosted by Georgia Southern.

Jack Zyska made sure to let a Georgia Southern pitcher know he hit a homer as soon as it left the bat, while the Irish pitchers certainly weren't afraid to show a little fire after crucial outs.

That said, Notre Dame doesn't need to get into a chirping match and the Irish veterans will be counted on to keep cool heads despite 5,000 Vols ready to explode.

"Notre Dame has a core group of veteran players who have been through many environments over the last four to five years," explained the source.

"I still believe Notre Dame is one of the few teams in the country that can go in there and win. Link (Jarrett) will have a great game plan and Tennessee may underestimate how good Notre Dame is while looking forward to Omaha.

"Notre Dame will have to play its usual great defense and not have a poor defensive game like the first game in Starkville last year."

Jarrett's club took Game 2 last year against Mississippi State before falling in Game 3.

How can the Irish take two of three against what is being billed as perhaps one of the all-time great college baseball teams in perhaps the most hostile environment in the country?

It starts with small details.

"Notre Dame can take two of three by hanging around until the 5th or 6th inning and getting to the Tennessee pen," stated the source. "To me, the pen, aside from RHP Ben Joyce (who throws over 100 mph), it's Tennessee's weakness. It's not overpowering.

"Notre Dame's styles of play gives them a great chance to win the series. Notre Dame will have to limit strikeouts against Tennessee's starters and then steal bases. Tennessee really struggles to throw runners out. Notre Dame's offense sets up great for this."

The Irish pitching staff was lights-out in Statesboro as Notre Dame scored just 11 total runs in three games; the group will again be tasked with stopping the nation's best offense.

Tennessee enters the Super Regional with nine players hitting 10 or more home runs. Trey Lipscomb leads the Vols with 21 home runs and 80 RBI.

Notre Dame's pitchers will need to hit a new level to get to Omaha, but they are also more than capable and it starts with All-American LHP John Michael Bertrand.

"Notre Dame's pitchers will have to pitch to all five areas of the zone and keep hitters off-balance," the source said. "Notre Dame will have to pitch inside and not let Tennessee get comfortable looking for pitches away all game. Some of Tennessee's hitters really struggle with off-speed pitches, so Notre Dame can't rely on fastballs the whole game.

"The key will be locating. Velocity will not be enough."

Finally, our source has experienced the wild atmosphere (and the Vol creatures) in Knoxville and has some advice for Notre Dame and those Irish fans headed to the Super Regional.

"Notre Dame fans and players should know this will be very different than Starkville," said the source. "Not as many fans as Mississippi State because the park is small, but the fans aren't very welcoming like in Starkville.

"Tennessee fans will be tough on the players and not welcoming to Notre Dame fans. It's a much different atmosphere. Starkville is a party atmosphere for home and opposing fans. Knoxville is intense and will not treat you like guests.

"They live pitch-by-pitch and will be louder than any place Notre Dame has played. They will not feed Notre Dame BBQ like at Mississippi State after the game. They want to beat Notre Dame 40-0. There will be kids at the frat house on the right-field line screaming at Notre Dame's players during practice before the first game and during the game.

"It's a circus."

Game 1 | June 10th | 6:00 PM | ESPN2
Game 2 | June 11th | 2:00 PM | ESPN
Game 3 | June 12th | TBA | ESPN (If necessary)

The idea that Tennessee struggles against breaking ball pitchers is a little weak. I get that some breaking ball pitchers have had success but there is more nuance. Not to mention 56-7, SEC champs! I am pretty sure its going to take a little more than a breaking ball to beat this team.

Without enough velocity to worry about getting the ball thrown by any of our hitters changes the situation. Hitters just gotta relax and find one hanging curve ball or weak fastball.

Bottom line is if we don't chase bad pitches and make their pitchers throw strikes then no one in the country can beat us.

The idea that our bullpin is a good place for an opposing to team is too stupid to even address.

I can see a team playing a little small ball and getting a run or two but we got 9 guys that can get that back and more with one swing.

The idea that Tennessee struggles against breaking ball pitchers is a little weak. I get that some breaking ball pitchers have had success but there is more nuance. Not to mention 56-7, SEC champs! I am pretty sure its going to take a little more than a breaking ball to beat this team.

Without enough velocity to worry about getting the ball thrown by any of our hitters changes the situation. Hitters just gotta relax and find one hanging curve ball or weak fastball.

Bottom line is if we don't chase bad pitches and make their pitchers throw strikes then no one in the country can beat us.

The idea that our bullpin is a good place for an opposing to team is too stupid to even address.

I can see a team playing a little small ball and getting a run or two but we got 9 guys that can get that back and more with one swing.
The problem is patience requires a consistent strike zone.!If the plan is patience the HPU can create havoc.

The problem is patience requires a consistent strike zone.!If the plan is patience the HPU can create havoc.

Yes, I don't disagree but these guys don't lack confidence or hesitation to swing out of their shoes with 2 strikes. Nothing wrong with taking a pitch or two that isn't "your" pitch.

I thought they did this really well last year. They got lots of walks and ran up opposing pitchers pitch counts.

This year they just hit bombs all day, everyday.

Anyone think tickets go below $200 if I scalp them tomorrow?

No luck on finding tickets so far, and the stub hubs of the world have them at 250-300, and I just can’t afford that.
Try for the SRO tickets. They go on sale 90 minutes before first pitch. Even if you have to buy from a scalper there’s probably not enough time for them to put them on stubhub and the price will hopefully be better.

Yes, I don't disagree but these guys don't lack confidence or hesitation to swing out of their shoes with 2 strikes. Nothing wrong with taking a pitch or two that isn't "your" pitch.

I thought they did this really well last year. They got lots of walks and ran up opposing pitchers pitch counts.

This year they just hit bombs all day, everyday.

This. And that's me speaking as a "NOOB." Vols put the wear and tear on the opposing team, and I hold my breath every time they come to bat. Cuz somebody is gonna knock it out of the park.

Man, stubhub is killing me. Took the plunge on two all-session passes earlier in the week, but the seller never delivered the tickets. Called them (multiple times) and at one point luckily there were comparable all-session passes available as a replacement. However, when I receive the tickets they only have the session 1 passes. SH says they contacted the seller who acknowledges mistake and says they will send the additional sessions, but nothing for several hours. Now there's no comparable tickets available and am just left to hope this person comes through. I was going to take one kid to game 1 and the other to game 2. Ugh...

Fun Fact Of The Day:

Babe Ruth played at the old Bill Meyer Stadium (though it wasn’t called that at the time). Big leaguers used to play exhibition games when they traveled by train from city to city between series. Ruth also played in the Appalachian League in Asheville when he was coming up in the farm system.

I don't know, but the early bird gets the worm.
Oh believe me I know. I would’ve already been there if it wasn’t for the ole lady insisting I stay around before she goes out of town this morning. So I’ll see if I can find me a highly demanded ticket that fits into a blue collar budget around 11 or 12

VN Store

Back