The Official #1 Tennessee vs Notre Dame Super Regional Games Thread (Fri 6/10 6PM EST ESPN 2) ( Sat. 6/11 2PM EST ESPN ) (Sun. 6/12 1PM EST ESPN)

I wonder why the Russell and Taylor have a hard time throwing out base stealers. Do you think it’s the catchers, Pitchers with a slow delivery or a tad bit of both? I know Russell threw out more than half in the SEC tourney.

Reactions: Smokey19rt
Okay so I have been following our incredible team this season very closely and have been lucky enough to go to a couple of games... I admit I do not follow college baseball as a whole though... Coming into the weekend many on here thought we would wax Campbell and GT, but that was clearly not the case... I watched other SEC teams in other regionals as well...
I thought with us being the overall #1 seed we would have an easier go of things- which we did not... So is Campbell and GT actually that good, or have we possibly peaked and are showing signs of wear and tear? I looked at Campbell's schedule and they were whipping several Power 5 schools like Ohio St etc...

We seemed to be swatting at everything that comes remotely close to the strike zone, and where is our elite pitching that I watched up until the end of the season? We were keeping other SEC teams virtually scoreless at times, sweeping series with ease, and now we got Campbell and GT taking the lead on us and were seemingly having batting practice with our pitchers?

Is it the pressure now that we are in tourney time, or are we just wiped out from the grind of having to play at such a high level in the SEC all season with a bullseye on our backs every game?

Certainly not being a negavol, but I really didn't think we would struggle this early and often, having to put together comebacks, which don't get me wrong, were glorious and soul crushing!!... Hopefully we can settle, rest, and reset the next few days... Coach V needs to hit the reset button on pitching and what we are choosing the swing at over the plate...

Okay so I have been following our incredible team this season very closely and have been lucky enough to go to a couple of games... I admit I do not follow college baseball as a whole though... Coming into the weekend many on here thought we would wax Campbell and GT, but that was clearly not the case... I watched other SEC teams in other regionals as well...
I thought with us being the overall #1 seed we would have an easier go of things- which we did not... So is Campbell and GT actually that good, or have we possibly peaked and are showing signs of wear and tear? I looked at Campbell's schedule and they were whipping several Power 5 schools like Ohio St etc...

We seemed to be swatting at everything that comes remotely close to the strike zone, and where is our elite pitching that I watched up until the end of the season? We were keeping other SEC teams virtually scoreless at times, sweeping series with ease, and now we got Campbell and GT taking the lead on us and were seemingly having batting practice with our pitchers?

Is it the pressure now that we are in tourney time, or are we just wiped out from the grind of having to play at such a high level in the SEC all season with a bullseye on our backs every game?

Certainly not being a negavol, but I really didn't think we would struggle this early and often, having to put together comebacks, which don't get me wrong, were glorious and soul crushing!!... Hopefully we can settle, rest, and reset the next few days... Coach V needs to hit the reset button on pitching and what we are choosing the swing at over the plate...

It’s the post-season, so every team is going to be playing their best when they’re trying to take down #1, but our pitchers had a bigger issue likely because we faced two of the best offenses in all of college baseball in our regional. It wasn’t an easy draw. We’ll be better because of it moving forward these next few weeks.

There is a reason that no #1 seed has won this tournament in 23 years. Way way way too much pressure that the young student athletes put on themselves. They feel it all around them. Hopefully, we can help them realize there is more to life than baseball. If they don't win another game, it's been a wonderful year. Whatever happens next is a cherry on the sundae. Relax and play ball.

With that said, to help our chances and/or with my personal dislike...I'm rooting for these teams today:

Texas State
UConn
VCU
Oklahoma State
Da Beavers
Southern Miss
Ole Miss
Coastal Carolina
Oklahoma
Louisville
UCLA

GO VOLS!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Smokey19rt

Baseball is a game where the "favored" team doesn't win as often as in some other sports (i.e. football). There is a lot of parity and anything can happen depending on whether pitchers/batters have a good outing or not.

There were also probably some nerves out there, with the chasing swings you mentioned and some errors. While we are an extremely talented team, it should be noted that only 4/9 of our lineup and 1/4 of our starting pitchers were regular starters on the Omaha team last season. We lost a lot of experience after last year.

The postseason is a totally different animal and every team is talented. That is true for any sport; I bet that Kentucky thought they were going to wax St. Peter's in march madness...

Nevertheless, we handled our business and are moving onward and upward!

Last edited:
I assume it won't be decided if we are on the Fri-Sun schedule or Sat-Mon schedule until all the Super Regionals are set?

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I posted one of this welcome to knocksville images for every single home game or home series this year except for GT. And I kept feeling guilty about it like I broke a routine.

Anybody else have routines or superstitions before or during games?

We always wear lucky shirts. I'll note that for the 9th inning yesterday, I removed my orange Vols jersey to unveil my dark mode Ortega shirsey that was underneath. Needless to say, the decision paid off.

It’s the post-season, so every team is going to be playing their best when they’re trying to take down #1, but our pitchers had a bigger issue likely because we faced two of the best offenses in all of college baseball in our regional. It wasn’t an easy draw. We’ll be better because of it moving forward these next few weeks.
and also the inconsistent strike zone-- Yes, I know that people complain about umps, but we had a bases loaded strike out, that was constantly called a ball when our pitcher was pitching. Even the announcer noticed it.

I posted one of this welcome to knocksville images for every single home game or home series this year except for GT. And I kept feeling guilty about it like I broke a routine.

Anybody else have routines or superstitions before or during games?

I go to the same bar before almost every game for beer and tequila. I did not yesterday.

Sorry for the unneeded drama last night.

I think this is the reason no team since #1 1999 Miami team won the CWS from the #1 seed. The desire to put the nearest local teams in the various regionals and then the alternate home / away team. They really don't protect or provide the top seeds in baseball.

It’s time to change that stat to 2022! I get caught up in numbers and stats way too much. I finally changed a bit when I saw a team win a game with a 0.01% chance last football season. 😝

1. Clearly ball was inside. Poor strikezone management.
2. Weak left hand grip.
3. Too strong right hand grip.
4. No helmet. That's just not smart.
5. Props for the serious bling!

Overall Rating: Tennessee sweeps.

-
CK2zD70VAAILB-u.jpg

I wonder why the Russell and Taylor have a hard time throwing out base stealers. Do you think it’s the catchers, Pitchers with a slow delivery or a tad bit of both? I know Russell threw out more than half in the SEC tourney.

I think it’s the pitchers. Kirby is probably the best on the bump preventing a big jump from base runner.

VN Store

Back