The Official #1 Tennessee vs Notre Dame Super Regional Games Thread (Fri 6/10 6PM EST ESPN 2) ( Sat. 6/11 2PM EST ESPN ) (Sun. 6/12 1PM EST ESPN)

Okay so I have been following our incredible team this season very closely and have been lucky enough to go to a couple of games... I admit I do not follow college baseball as a whole though... Coming into the weekend many on here thought we would wax Campbell and GT, but that was clearly not the case... I watched other SEC teams in other regionals as well...
I thought with us being the overall #1 seed we would have an easier go of things- which we did not... So is Campbell and GT actually that good, or have we possibly peaked and are showing signs of wear and tear? I looked at Campbell's schedule and they were whipping several Power 5 schools like Ohio St etc...

We seemed to be swatting at everything that comes remotely close to the strike zone, and where is our elite pitching that I watched up until the end of the season? We were keeping other SEC teams virtually scoreless at times, sweeping series with ease, and now we got Campbell and GT taking the lead on us and were seemingly having batting practice with our pitchers?

Is it the pressure now that we are in tourney time, or are we just wiped out from the grind of having to play at such a high level in the SEC all season with a bullseye on our backs every game?

Certainly not being a negavol, but I really didn't think we would struggle this early and often, having to put together comebacks, which don't get me wrong, were glorious and soul crushing!!... Hopefully we can settle, rest, and reset the next few days... Coach V needs to hit the reset button on pitching and what we are choosing the swing at over the plate...

I mean...we did beat Campbell by 5 and GT by 3.

Campbell was 41-9 and 6th in the country in HRs at 118, Georgia Tech was 36-23 but 9th in the country in HRs at 115. Also both are top 10 in the country in runs, GT 3rd with 564 and Campbell 8th with 523.

I think most folks following baseball expected us to win (which we did) probably expected to see a lot more runs scored though in both games.

Notre Dame will be a different beast, they rank 4th in the country in strikeouts per 9 innings at 11. They're also 7th in ERA at 3.83.

Campbell was 41-9 and 6th in the country in HRs at 118, Georgia Tech was 36-23 but 9th in the country in HRs at 115. Also both are top 10 in the country in runs, GT 3rd with 564 and Campbell 8th with 523.

I think most folks following baseball expected us to win (which we did) probably expected to see a lot more runs scored though in both games.

Notre Dame will be a different beast, they rank 4th in the country in strikeouts per 9 innings at 11. They're also 7th in ERA at 3.83.
Georgia Tech & Campbell took advantage of our miniature ballpark.

Good pitching will beat good hitting.

The Notre Dame pitching coach has to licking his chops after watching last night’s game tape. We are waaayy too jacked up. Just bounce any slop up there and many of our inexperienced guys will swing away. Over and over and over. Not calling any names here aka, rhymes w/Beth, Flake, Phew, etc.

The team motto should be, ‘Refuse to be Walked’

The Notre Dame pitching coach has to licking his chops after watching last night’s game tape. We are waaayy too jacked up. Just bounce any slop up there and many of our inexperienced guys will swing away. Over and over and over. Not calling any names here aka, rhymes w/Beth, Flake, Phew, etc.

Well, they have good pitching...we're elite there too though. 1st in ERA at 2.38, 1st in hits allowed per 9 innings at 6.34, 10th in strikeouts per 9 innings at 10.6

And we've played 11 more games than Notre Dame.

So they're pitching is better than Campbell/GT, but they don't have anywhere near the offensive firepower.

On an unrelated note, I would enjoy seeing the Notre Dame-Tennessee football series start back up and I would enjoy seeing a basketball series between the men or women's teams or even both squads.

Well, they have good pitching...we're elite there too though. 1st in ERA at 2.38, 1st in hits allowed per 9 innings at 6.34, 10th in strikeouts per 9 innings at 10.6

So they're pitching is better than Campbell/GT, but they don't have anywhere near the offensive firepower.
Of the starters, Blade looked elite against some overmatched Hispanic kids. Our other three starters (including Burns), looked more nervous than elite. Sweaty palm issues

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Weather forecast is flawless.
Recall that last Spring, temps were higher (88 and 90) last year. Both were late afternoon (3pm games)

Friday 64/85 20% rain
Saturday 67/80 30%
Sunday 62/81 0%
Monday 65/84 0%

I suspect as a #1 seed playing a media darling, we will get a primetime slot (6-7 pm) for the weekend. Likely Friday-Saturday-Sunday.

On an unrelated note, I would enjoy seeing the Notre Dame-Tennessee football series start back up and I would enjoy seeing a basketball series between the men or women's teams or even both squads.
I think Tennessee State is scheduled to play at South Bend in football. Did I dream that up?

They're also phenomenal at cancelling games and not re-scheduling.

Of the starters, Blade looked elite against some overmatched Hispanic kids. Our other three starters (including Burns), looked more nervous than elite. Sweaty palm issues

I mean...you can look at the season as a whole, or you can just focus on a single outing against elite offensive teams I suppose.

Our pitching did very well against two elite offensive teams. Holding both of them to at least 2.5 runs under their averages on the season...

some more people behind home plate in masks- this time at ECU.

Likely 85 degrees, very sunny and outside. But they are playing their role. Likely hating the thousands of people around them not wearing "protection"

I mean...you can look at the season as a whole, or you can just focus on a single outing against elite offensive teams I suppose.

Our pitching did very well against two elite offensive teams. Holding both of them to at least 2.5 runs under their averages on the season...
thank you bullpen!!! Will and Kirby were my game MVP’s!

ECU with a crooked number extending their lead over outmanned CCU (2-8)
Michigan is now rolling against Louisville. 7 unanswered runs to take a 9-7 lead at Louisville. Texas A&M licking their chops.
Auburn close to closing out UCLA 9-4. UCLA has put up 2 runs in both the 7th and 8th

Ole Miss may be staring their game soon as tarp has been removed.
Vanderbilt starting in a few minutes.

We do have issues with plate discipline at times. On the other hand, we are 54-7, so our hitters can't be as bad as you're saying they are. They are human beings playing in high stakes pressure situations and games. I'm sure they work on plate discipline a lot in practice.

BTW, we are second in the nation in drawing walks per NCAA website stats.

I think this is the reason no team since #1 1999 Miami team won the CWS from the #1 seed. The desire to put the nearest local teams in the various regionals and then the alternate home / away team. They really don't protect or provide the top seeds in baseball.
Honestly the only reward you get for being great is getting to host the first two weekends. NCAA needs to revisit that alternating home/away business and geographic regionals. Being seed 1-8 is equal and it shouldn’t be that way. #1 overall seed should get seeds 32, 48, and 64.

Lotta good points. They are one of the more balanced teams we’ve faced. Good pitching, good fielding, good hitters and very effective base running.

Yeah this was what was puzzling to me--- this regional we looked nervous on the mound, where earlier in the season against top-tier SEC opponents, we were throwing heat and shutting teams down... I guess maybe our pitchers were realizing this was gut-check time and it's win or go home now, not just another series during the season.
Our pitching staff needs to settle our guys down mentally on the mound this week and have them relaxed, confident, and prepared for Fri/Sat....

VN Store

Back