The Official 2024 NFL Season Thread

Rodgers still has elite arm talent
As a Packers fan for almost 30 years, I’d disagree with this. He lost ‘elite’ status a few years back in my eyes. He’s been on the decline since 2018 or so (and yes, I’m aware that he won two MVP’s after that). Peak Aaron was 2011 to 2016ish or so.

Still dangerous, but not elite anymore in my opinion (at least as far as his arm is concerned). I’d be surprised if he won anything more than his division with the Jets.

My philosophy is when you are the better team and have favorable conditions (like home field), you always take the points early in the game.

I don't see the point of grinding the other team down the field only to end up with 0 points and all the momentum going the other way now. You're better than them. No need to take gambles early.

Their expected win probability probably shoots up as home favorites if they start the game up 3-0. Instead they started down 0-3.
Agree, completely. But, that was a great call, kinda reminds me of the 4th down to Shawn Bryson against FSU in the Fiesta Bowl, but Bryson caught it and Barkley should have, also. But, I understand running the ball and the clock. But, if he catches it and it was a very easy catch, Game Over.

As a Packers fan for almost 30 years, I’d disagree with this. He lost ‘elite’ status a few years back in my eyes. He’s been on the decline since 2018 or so (and yes, I’m aware that he won two MVP’s after that). Peak Aaron was 2011 to 2016ish or so.

Still dangerous, but not elite anymore in my opinion (at least as far as his arm is concerned). I’d be surprised if he won anything more than his division with the Jets.
He still makes throws only a handful can. Even better, only a handful will try

Reactions: Charlie Kelly
Agree, completely. But, that was a great call, kinda reminds me of the 4th down to Shawn Bryson against FSU in the Fiesta Bowl, but Bryson caught it and Barkley should have, also. But, I understand running the ball and the clock. But, if he catches it and it was a very easy catch, Game Over.

I was talking about the 1st quarter choice to go for on 4th and 4 instead of kicking a 30 yard FG. If they had kicked there, then they're kicking for a 9-pt lead on the drive you're talking about

I was talking about the 1st quarter choice to go for on 4th and 4 instead of kicking a 30 yard FG. If they had kicked there, then they're kicking for a 9-pt lead on the drive you're talking about
Yeah, I mentioned that in my first post and was agreeing with you. I was just saying if Barkley catches it, it's a moot point.

I think everybody is kinda right about Rodgers. It has been a while since we've seen him throw well, but he also has good (injury) excuses.

I don't like what I see this year. Could just be ring rust, but it's likely he doesn't have an elite arm anymore. Doesn't mean he won't be doing more "Rodgers" things as he gets more comfortable this year.

Reactions: BernardKingGOAT
He still makes throws only a handful can. Even better, only a handful will try
Oh, I agree with that. I just think that’s more due to his head than his arm. He sees the game as well as any quarterback in NFL history.

However, I’d say he physically started to decline around 2018 or 2019. I can’t give you a specific date or game but I remember that’s around the time I started noticing he didn’t have as much zip on the longer throws. By the time he finally left/was pushed out, I was ready to move on.

Reactions: BernardKingGOAT
My philosophy is when you are the better team and have favorable conditions (like home field), you always take the points early in the game.

I don't see the point of grinding the other team down the field only to end up with 0 points and all the momentum going the other way now. You're better than them. No need to take gambles early.

Their expected win probability probably shoots up as home favorites if they start the game up 3-0. Instead they started down 0-3.
I was afraid not taking the easy field goal early was a mistake. I always prefer getting points early and not coming away empty. The pass to Barkley was a very risky decision and shouldn’t have been called. The play was there and the throw was fairly easy to catch, however, you can’t afford to stop the clock with a drop. Run the ball twice and you likely get the first down and end the game. I’m still mad about how that game ended.

Reactions: n_huffhines
I think everybody is kinda right about Rodgers. It has been a while since we've seen him throw well, but he also has good (injury) excuses.

I don't like what I see this year. Could just be ring rust, but it's likely he doesn't have an elite arm anymore. Doesn't mean he won't be doing more "Rodgers" things as he gets more comfortable this year.
Took it up a notch tonight

Reactions: knoxvol52

VN Store

Back