The Official #6 [2] Tennessee vs. #3 [1] Purdue Game Thread, 2:20 PM ET, ESPN

We needed him to be called fairly as well as the game, if so he likely fouls out and has at least three turnovers which were walks he wasn't called for. One resulted in him going to the line and making his FTs. We needed ZZ and JJJ to show up which didn't happen much outside of the first half and we needed anybody in the paint. I thought Estrella did well all things considering. It was absolutely atrocious officiating coupled with our typical droughts that did us in.
Agree 100%

Reactions: volfever007
I cannot understand why fans just can't say the truth. Zeigler had a terrible day, knecht has went cold, and the best shot Barnes had at stopping edey is fixing to play against Duke in a few minutes. You can be a fan and still say Barnes choked again and the team didn't bail him out.

In no way did Barnes choke. That’s asinine. We had one player who might have choked and I’m not even going to go there as he’s been called out enough tonight.

It was going to take a stellar offensive performance to win a game of 8 on 5 when the 8 has Shrek’s big brother. Shots just didn’t fall today. That’s not a choke job. That’s basketball.

Edey is the one player in the country that changes how you want to play defensively and how to game plan for him. We caught a break as Purdue was off from 3. I think they only made 3. I personally think we should have come at him hard early with double teams to try to get him give the ball up. Also, I think Rick made a big mistake not resting ZZ some during this game. Gainey needed more minutes in the first half to give ZZ a rest. The last 5 minutes of the first half was brutal for the Vols as we only scored 2 points, felt like we could have built off our 11 point lead. We missed a shot, had an air ball 3, and a turnover in 3 consecutive possessions and Purdue scored on 3 straight possessions. I’m not second guessing our coaches, but we knew Edey was a tough cover and we played him the same way as earlier. I think occasionally you have to mix your defenses vs Edey to try to keep him from getting the ball so easy on his spot and not fouling as often so you have your bigs for longer periods in the game. Edey does get away with push off fouls on offensive rebounds. He is so big, the officials struggle with how to call the game. The Vols had a great year and we finally cracked the elite 8 window. I will remain hopeful that eventually we will make a final 4 appearance before I leave this earth. As always, Go Vols! I’m pulling for a NC State/Bama final as the media and CBS are drooling over a UCONN/Purdue final. But I have to admit UCONN has the best coach. He’s kept his team hungry and motivated to repeat. We shall see.

Last edited:
In no way did Barnes choke. That’s asinine. We had one player who might have choked and I’m not even going to go there as he’s been called out enough tonight.

It was going to take a stellar offensive performance to win a game of 8 on 5 when the 8 has Shrek’s big brother. Shots just didn’t fall today. That’s not a choke job. That’s basketball.
Tennessee played in the NCAA Tournament the way we have played all season. That is both a good and a bad thing. This team had it's weaknesses, but could usually overcome them, unless we were playing someone with a good center, who can score.

We lost .... but nobody "choked."

I cannot understand why fans just can't say the truth. Zeigler had a terrible day, knecht has went cold, and the best shot Barnes had at stopping edey is fixing to play against Duke in a few minutes. You can be a fan and still say Barnes choked again and the team didn't bail him out.

Piss off.

Clown post

Didn’t say it was. I said if the refs are gonna allow it, then why not keep doing it until they call it. Making a statement or trying to create an argument with over something I didn’t say is buffoonery as well.
UT had no control over what was called or not called and given the huge disparity, it put UT at a huge disadvantage.

Tennessee played in the NCAA Tournament the way we have played all season. That is both a good and a bad thing. This team had it's weaknesses, but could usually overcome them, unless we were playing someone with a good center, who can score.

We lost .... but nobody "choked."

We didn’t play our best game by a long shot, but we were in it to the end with Purdue being spotted 10-12 points. Just needed a little more out of our other guys big named Knecht.

Occam's Razor would argue
Only thing Barnes did wrong was give Aidoo so many minutes. Dude shouldn't have went back in after he was first pulled out
Given the way the refs were calling anything and everything on our post guys, Barnes had no other choice really but to play Aidoo.

I’m very disappointed because they played great enough to keep it close, however they couldn’t take the lead in the 2nd half after reducing the lead to 1.

It’s the same disappointing result 14 years later which is Tennessee can’t make it to the final 4.

Reactions: Pennheel
In hindsight, I wonder if we’d have been better off sagging off their guards some instead of pressuring to bait them into some early clock 3’s. Seems like their entire half court is dump down to eddy then have him kick it out when the double comes. I know they have good shooters so may not have mattered.

Game came down to those last 5 minutes of the first half where we let them back in it. If zz would’ve been hitting today I think we would’ve gotten it done as well

Reactions: gainesvol82
To be honest the past two games just left me not wanting to watch college basketball anymore. When there is zero accountability for game being called consistently it just ruins it. The better team didn’t win today, but the team that has the coach that complains more did. The team that the NCAA wanted in the final 4 is there, but the better team is heading home to Knoxville.

Reactions: gainesvol82
It hurts that we lost as the season came to an end on a bad note. Such is life in sports. But I thought we would win when were down one three different opportunities to take the lead late in the game.

I thought Knecht would enable this team to reduce the scoring droughts, but I think we had one for six minutes in the first half and a couple for about 3-4 min on the second half, esp late in the game.

With that said, it has been a fun ride and this season gave me a bunch of joy, though we came up short. I really feel bad for Barnes as o truly think he care about his players more than most coaches. And he seems to be a genuine good guy that keeps things in perspective.

VN Store

Back