The Official #6 [2] Tennessee vs. #3 [1] Purdue Game Thread, 2:20 PM ET, ESPN

I don’t see a place for Edey’s game in the NBA. The NBA has very few back to the basket centers anymore. Just not part of the pro game. If you can’t run or be versatile like Nikola Jocic, you’re in trouble. No place for a slow mountain.

There's a place for 7'4" but he won't be dominating centers. A lot of those guys are 6'11" and 7'0" and bouncy.

It’s hard to be disappointed with reaching the Elite 8 for only the second time in program history. That’s a fact. This team has been fun to watch all season.

However, I’ve come to the reluctant conclusion that we’ll likely never reach a Final Four, much less win it all, in my lifetime. It’s hard to see another Tennessee team as good as this one in the foreseeable future. You never know, I suppose, but this was the best Tennessee team I’ve seen in my 48 years on this earth. It was bad luck to draw an opponent with such a difficult match-up before the Final Four . . . but if THIS Tennessee squad wasn’t going to find a way, I can’t see one getting it done any time soon.

A few years ago, that team with Grant and Admiral was set-up for a deep run. Of course, we instead decided create a Cinderella story for Sister Jean and Loyola-Chicago. We just couldn’t get it done. This season doesn’t feel as disappointing of a season as THAT year - but, WOW! It sucks being right there knocking on the door only to come up short. Again.

Makes you wonder what might have transpired if we hadn’t crapped the bed in our first game of the SEC Tournament and gotten that #1 seed. Would we have gotten a more favorable road to the Final Four? Maybe. Maybe not. In any case, it goes to show that the little things all add up. Look at Alabama - That team is good but they aren’t nearly as good as Tennessee - but they got it done to get to the Final Four.

Oh well. Still love this team. It’s my favorite Volunteers Basketball team of all time. It was a fun year. Just hate that it had to end short of the Final Four because they were FF quality.

Aidoo isn't strong enough to guard dominant bigs but he is our best help and rim defender by a mile. Fans shouldn't be too hard on him. He's not built for certain opponents and I think it's weird he started this game (no shade at Barnes, tho).
awaka was doing a great job on edey inside so i find fault in you referring to aidoo as our best. aidoo was charged with his second foul way out on the perimeter when he's needed down low. ut definitely made critical mistakes and it's over. like many vol fans, i don't like it, but we did make mistakes.

Personally, I thought Barnes had a good game plan and the game went down to the wire. Unfortunately, Knecht was our only offense with the exception of JJJ in the first half. He should’ve had more looks in the second half, imo.
Defensively, we dared Edey to beat us and he did.
3 post below you'll see zeigler 3-12. black and white tells the story. our point guard should've passed off to better shooters

Wow. I can’t believe he said that. “They thought they knew us, they thought they knew us.” I’m not sure why he said that. I guess he got caught up in the moment.

We did know them. We know they let him get away what whatever he wants and call touch fouls against him. And.....that's exactly what happened.

It’s hard to be disappointed with reaching the Elite 8 for only the second time in program history. That’s a fact. This team has been fun to watch all season.

However, I’ve come to the reluctant conclusion that we’ll likely never reach a Final Four, much less win it all, in my lifetime. It’s hard to see another Tennessee team as good as this one in the foreseeable future. You never know, I suppose, but this was the best Tennessee team I’ve seen in my 48 years on this earth. It was bad luck to draw an opponent with such a difficult match-up before the Final Four . . . but if THIS Tennessee squad wasn’t going to find a way, I can’t see one getting it done any time soon.

A few years ago, that team with Grant and Admiral was set-up for a deep run. Of course, we instead decided create a Cinderella story for Sister Jean and Loyola-Chicago. We just couldn’t get it done. This season doesn’t feel as disappointing of a season as THAT year - but, WOW! It sucks being right there knocking on the door only to come up short. Again.

Makes you wonder what might have transpired if we hadn’t crapped the bed in our first game of the SEC Tournament and gotten that #1 seed. Would we have gotten a more favorable road to the Final Four? Maybe. Maybe not. In any case, it goes to show that the little things all add up. Look at Alabama - That team is good but they aren’t nearly as good as Tennessee - but they got it done to get to the Final Four.

Oh well. Still love this team. It’s my favorite Volunteers Basketball team of all time. It was a fun year. Just hate that it had to end short of the Final Four because they were FF quality.

If I remember correctly Kyle Alexander was hurt and didn't play against Loyola. Besides Knecht who is a rare player, that team had many more weapons than this team. We just need to make sure we don't have major holes and this team did have them. If you're saying we'll never recruit well at certain spots then yeah you're right we won't get there if we don't do that.

I'll say again, ZZ looked exhausted. He was not the same player. Our shot selection at times was poor, and we knew what would happen with Awaka and fouls.

41 to 21 free throw disparity in 2 games is just too much to overcome.

I'm sick what Edey has gotten away with, not just against us.

Reactions: vols1221
Look I’ll be respectful, what are your honest views of how that game was officiated? Just curious
Typically it’s very hard to officiate a game with a player that physically big. They end up with a different set of rules. It’s been discussed. I don’t like how they called the game, but it’s also over. The season is over too. There was no conspiracy. There’s no recourse. Next year, there will be no Edey. The next time a dominant giant like Edey or Shaq plays in college they’ll be a problem with officiating that player and those who try to stop him. There’s nothing to be gained by complaining about it.

Reactions: StoneokeyVol
I didn't see him throwing a lot of elbows
Maybe go back and watch the replays. He either put his elbow on the throat of whoever he was boxing out and shoving back hard as he jumped, or lowered his shoulder into the shorter and pushed off with his arms when facing the basket. Watch the replays and look how many times he hooked the defenders arms to keep them from shifting while he was being fronted.

Look I’ll be respectful, what are your honest views of how that game was officiated? Just curious

It sucks. He gets a different set of rules, but it’s also over.

awaka was doing a great job on edey inside so i find fault in you referring to aidoo as our best. aidoo was charged with his second foul way out on the perimeter when he's needed down low. ut definitely made critical mistakes and it's over. like many vol fans, i don't like it, but we did make mistakes.

It wasn't the 2nd foul that was the major problem it was the ineffectiveness and the 2nd foul was a symptom.

Maybe go back and watch the replays. He either put his elbow on the throat of whoever he was boxing out and shoving back hard as he jumped, or lowered his shoulder into the shorter and pushed off with his arms when facing the basket. Watch the replays and look how many times he hooked the defenders arms to keep them from shifting while he was being fronted.
exactly...I have a pic of one from the game...totally foul....flagrant?? maybe

I'll say again, ZZ looked exhausted. He was not the same player. Our shot selection at times was poor, and we knew what would happen with Awaka and fouls.

41 to 21 free throw disparity in 2 games is just too much to overcome.

I'm sick what Edey has gotten away with, not just against us.
Excluding Knecht, we were 10 for 31 For the game.

There's a place for 7'4" but he won't be dominating centers. A lot of those guys are 6'11" and 7'0" and bouncy.
Depends on a team that will take a chance on him. Could be a bench filler for a while and play some. IMO he’s just too slow and won’t be a major factor for anybody. And they do call 3 seconds in the NBA.

Wow. I can’t believe he said that. “They thought they knew us, they thought they knew us.” I’m not sure why he said that. I guess he got caught up in the moment.
Oh, they knew you. They knew what you do and how you got away with it. They just couldn’t do much about it without a fair whistle

What is he even talking about? That he wasn’t recruited to Tennessee? That Barnes chose not to double team him?
That Barnes was one of many coaches who saw him at camps and didn’t recruit him. Inferred that Painter was the only coach who gave him a chance

That Barnes was one of many coaches who saw him at camps and didn’t recruit him. Inferred that Painter was the only coach who gave him a chance

Interesting. If I were his coach or his parent, I would tell him he needs to learn how to win with grace.

Reactions: volfan102455

VN Store

Back