The Official Evansville @ #1 Tennessee Knoxville Super Regional Game 3 Thread (Sun. June 9th 7:06PM EST) (ESPNU)

This. And who said they hope Tony listens if Arkansas ever calls? I find it hard impossible to believe that anyone is that stupid.
Well, on the twitter streets, the insanity is beyond comprehension. There was a post stating that losing in this Super to the 4 seed is a fileable offense. And...another post stating if we lose the rubber match to the Aces, Arkansas could have CTV. These are anonymous accounts, but people actually typed that crap. They are either trolling or in fact "THAT Stupid"

Well, on the twitter streets, the insanity is beyond comprehension. There was a post stating that losing in this Super to the 4 seed is a fileable offense. And...another post stating if we lose the rubber match to the Aces, Arkansas could have CTV. These are anonymous accounts, but people actually typed that crap. They are either trolling or in fact "THAT Stupid"

I never take anonymous accounts seriously, because the only purpose of making an anonymous accounts is to fire off takes you KNOW are irredeemably stupid and don’t want attributed to your name. I can’t imagine anyone in our fanbase truly would want to run Tony off if we had lost yesterday.

Agreed. The NegaVols need to stay away. They don’t deserve this team. I haven't seen any of the posts during the games (i stay offline while at games) but I’ve seen enough of their pessimism and ridiculous NegaVol takes to realize they are sad, miserable people who take joy in criticism and negativity. GBO!

That's a big reason I rarely even get on during the weekend. Its almost fun to check on monday morning and see the freakouts and drive bys.

I was proud of this team after Texas. That feeling has only intensified.

Does a beer work? It don’t matter. Zander pitched his ass off, and for a bit there, he didn’t get the help he deserved.

And for him to keep his composure when he wasn't getting that help was probably the most impressive thing to me.

He....was.....unconscious!!!! Epic performance!

Possibly. It was definitely a wild crowd. Not that it’s an excuse, but I do think the two early starts had something to do with it. Guess Vol fans don’t like being up early because the 11 AM crowd definitely felt sleepy lol.

Didn't like the 11:00 time because it reminded me of us going to LSU in '22, I believe.

EDIT: In football is what I mean. Just realized I didn't make that clear.

Last edited:
Looks like Volstylexx wasn't the only one mad at the stupidity and negativity of some of our fans yesterday. That's the most impassioned I have ever seen Tony. Look at what ya'll did to that man. I'm telling you, better learn to chill it or he may listen when that phone rings from Arkansas one day (like some Vol fans were saying they hoped would happen) yesterday.
There's something to be said for reining in negative thoughts, but there is a 0% chance that Tony's opening statement had anything to do with our fans.

Although I have to ask—did anyone seriously say they wanted him to go to Arkansas, or are you exaggerating?

There's something to be said for reining in negative thoughts, but there is a 0% chance that Tony's opening statement had anything to do with our fans.

Although I have to ask—did anyone seriously say they wanted him to go to Arkansas, or are you exaggerating?
Just guessing but probably something from the sewer known as Twitter (X)

There was also this…

Let's not pretend that 75 percent of the fans wouldn't have had the same question/thought/reaction as the guy who asked the question after the game 2 loss if we'd been eliminated by Evansville last night. Please. There would have been a ton of negativity if the No. 1 ranked team/1 seed had gotten booted by the lowest rated team in the Supers. It is what it is.

After the win, of course everybody changes their tune. Fact is, there /was/ a lot of pressure on Vitello going into last night's game, and so the coach was understandably blowing off that buildup of steam. I liked what he had to say--he's right about success, everybody measures it differently--but it's also true that when a program reaches a high-level, and reaches it consistently, expectations will rise. It's natural--and there is no getting away from it. It comes with the territory. I get it all---the expectations, the pressure, what he said. It's part of sports. I especially liked what he said about prospects who expect to get paid to play: That's a response that I'd like to see resonate around "college" football and basketball--ha.
…takes all kinds.

What a great moment. Hope Preacherman enjoyed As a father, I can only imagine how he felt last night. The feeling to see your child be recognized or accomplish a goal is second to none, and super-cedes one’s personal accomplishments.

I second this! @preacherman20 it's been a privilege watching your son the last few years.
Amen. I couldn’t help myself and texted @ Preacherman last night to congratulate him and to thank his son on my behalf. I’ve worn my Vollie Fingers jersey with pride since 2022.

As a father, I can only imagine the emotions he was feeling last night.

Most of the blowback was from the media. Fans call in every sports show to complain about their team after a loss. Fans complained about Day after they lost to Michigan. Bama fans were livid and some said Saban was getting too old for today’s game, and that was after one loss.

Social media amplifies everything as everyone has a platform while the talking heads stir the pot.

Look how many times it was discussed that an Evansville win would be the biggest upset in college baseball history. It is what it is and that’s why the players and coaches TRY not to listen to outside noise, though it is impossible.

I get emotional and reminded every day at my job that performance is everything. But I will call
myself out and say that I must improve enjoying the journey and not the final result. And that’s on me at my job and in sports.

I get emotional and reminded every day at my job that performance is everything. But I will call
myself out and say that I must improve enjoying the journey and not the final result. And that’s on me at my job and in sports.

Well said. Fan is short for fanatic after all, and I would say the vast majority of us want what is best for the team and generally are well-intentioned, even if we can get pessimistic when adversity hits. Tony’s “rant” was an excellent reminder and lesson on the way success should be evaluated in life. After all, if winning the national championship is the only bar to be met for a successful season, then we are producing a lot of losers in life, and we know that simply isn’t the case.

Most of the blowback was from the media. Fans call in every sports show to complain about their team after a loss. Fans complained about Day after they lost to Michigan. Bama fans were livid and some said Saban was getting too old for today’s game, and that was after one loss.

Social media amplifies everything as everyone has a platform while the talking heads stir the pot.

Look how many times it was discussed that an Evansville win would be the biggest upset in college baseball history. It is what it is and that’s why the players and coaches TRY not to listen to outside noise, though it is impossible.

I don’t get worked up by talking heads accounts of such crap, but the real stuff I have to wade through on the boards has and will draw my ire. My free response to free speech.

I hope for fair treatment in all things media, but never count on it. EVERYBODY has some bias or lack of comprehensive knowledge. Jumping on agendas for CLICKS is the worst.

Well said. Fan is short for fanatic after all, and I would say the vast majority of us want what is best for the team and generally are well-intentioned, even if we can get pessimistic when adversity hits. Tony’s “rant” was an excellent reminder and lesson on the way success should be evaluated in life. After all, if winning the national championship is the only bar to be met for a successful season, then we are producing a lot of losers in life, and we know that simply isn’t the case.
Give this man a mic, he is on a roll. People can't clap back after this one....

Reactions: BigALWiLson
Yes—wouldn’t miss it. I made flight and hotel reservations about 2 months ago. Doing it different this year—doing a Daddy/Daughter trip that we’ve talked about for years. Will be a great Father’s Day trip too for a lot of Dad’s!
I love that. Should make for some great memories. Make all you can. Time flies.

Agreed. The NegaVols need to stay away. They don’t deserve this team. I haven't seen any of the posts during the games (i stay offline while at games) but I’ve seen enough of their pessimism and ridiculous NegaVol takes to realize they are sad, miserable people who take joy in criticism and negativity. GBO!
If @Freak would let me license my superb ignore list, not only would you not see any of that garbage, I would be able to acquire a player for us every year via NIL. 😂

Seriously, though, a lot of those losers troll every sport with the same sad sack schtick. Some of them may well be fans of other teams, for all that one can determine from their behavior. I don't consider any of them to be fans. Perhaps if they can stigmatize our fan base, that's all they really want. Who knows?

Last edited:
Amen. I couldn’t help myself and texted @ Preacherman last night to congratulate him and to thank his son on my behalf. I’ve worn my Vollie Fingers jersey with pride since 2022.

As a father, I can only imagine the emotions he was feeling last night.

What exactly was the negativity that some are referring? I prefer not to go back and read the prior game threads.

Also, I just had the opportunity to listen to Coach Vitelllo’s post game opening statement. Was he referring to questions and comments from media or is there more to it? He was definitely passionate with his answer.

VN Store

Back