The Official Evansville @ #1 Tennessee Knoxville Super Regional Game 3 Thread (Sun. June 9th 7:06PM EST) (ESPNU)

Does anyone have the video of Tony’s presser? I can only see some quotes online, but apparently he went off tonight after that STUPID question yesterday about if our season was a failure if we didn’t win on Sunday. I knew when that question was asked yesterday he was going to be pissed. Man, some media members are truly the worst and will do anything for a sound bite.
I've heard but haven't been able to confirm that bruh who asked that question after game 2 was a television sports reporter from Evansville.

Here's tonight's press conference. 🍊 🔥

I've heard but haven't been able to confirm that bruh who asked that question after game 2 was a television sports reporter from Evansville.

Most likely yes it was intentionally done by an Evansville reporter that expected to get a Emotional response.

Reactions: NighthawkVol

I’ve never seen Tony like that angry. Stupid question. Love how he has his players back at all times, defends UT fans and even compliments the other team’s player all in one answer! He is very quick on his feet. What a special coach and what a great game!

Congrats Vols Nation on the win over our Evansville Aces. It was a great time in Knoxville and I cannot speak for everyone but we hope you guys win it all in Omaha.
Scary team-- We were talking about ya'll in church- They were hitting our best pitchers out of the game. Not many people could do that.

Gawd, I love this coach. We've got great ones in every sport, but this dude has it all. No wonder he's so great on the recruiting trail. How do you not choose to play for this guy? One thing that sets him apart is his candor and ability to communicate. Never sound scripted. Always sounds sincere. Plus you always will know exactly what he's thinking and where things stand. Don't care if it wasn't the current AD or if we lucked into Vitello. He's my favorite coach in any sport anywhere. Can't believe I'm gonna type this but yeah, pay the man. Whatever it takes. Doubt I live to see it, but the powers that be better make sure he retires in Knoxville.

edit: and may I add that the black baseball uniforms are the best black uni on campus and in the country. Please wear them any and every time someone even considers those abominable smokey gray disasters.

I enjoyed the environment as well. I wonder if the threat of rain and also result from yesterday scared away some casuals and maybe also drove prices down so a few more miscreants could crash the gate?
Some of the best times I had attending baseball and football were rain games. Yeah, it's hot, muggy and soggy, but you just seem to really get into the moment when the weather turns. Love me some rain games.

Love your coach and his post game comments tonight about success, how you define it and other things he said as well including comments about one of our players Ty Rumsey. Your coach is a class act !
You guys had a heck of a team very fun matchup build on for next year and I see you guys getting there again

Best Coach I’ve ever seen in any sport. Making CWS is simply icing on the cake. FL St have been 23 times and never won one. Arkansas has zero titles. This season has been an enormous success no matter what happened today or what happens in Omaha. Love the BaseVols!
Win the natty or not, for me, any season that you make Omaha is a success. Truthfully, when the season began, I didn't think we had the pitching to go any further than the regionals. We might not have a dominant arm like Arnold, but tip of the cap to Vitello and Anderson. What they've done with this pitching staff is miraculous. Great, great season no matter how it ends.

Gawd, I love this coach. We've got great ones in every sport, but this dude has it all. No wonder he's so great on the recruiting trail. How do you not choose to play for this guy? One thing that sets him apart is his candor and ability to communicate. Never sound scripted. Always sounds sincere. Plus you always will know exactly what he's thinking and where things stand. Don't care if it wasn't the current AD or if we lucked into Vitello. He's my favorite coach in any sport anywhere. Can't believe I'm gonna type this but yeah, pay the man. Whatever it takes. Doubt I live to see it, but the powers that be better make sure he retires in Knoxville.

edit: and may I add that the black baseball uniforms are the best black uni on campus and in the country. Please wear them any and every time someone even considers those abominable smokey gray disasters.
He’ll retire in Knoxville. They built him a stadium to his specs. They’ll pay what he wants.

As for his communication/candor… while I was reading your words, I kind of thought, he’s basically the opposite of Butch Jones in that regard.

I remember a few things, one being that was our first trip to Omaha in about 40 years, Omaha didn't even have the right colors for our penant. The other was the last out to beat ok st, their runner over slid second base and was tagged out to end the game and the series.
I was at that game. It was bonkers.

Tony Vitello / Total in Tennessee program history

3/7 CWS appearances.
4/7 Regional Championships
2/5 Conference Tournament Championships
2/5 Regular Season Conference Titles
3/5 Super Regional Champs

CTV SR Champs 2021 2023 2024
CRD SR Champs 2001 2005
SR Loss 2022

Last edited:
Reactions: chuckiepoo
Love your coach and his post game comments tonight about success, how you define it and other things he said as well including comments about one of our players Ty Rumsey. Your coach is a class act !
Your boys gave us all we could handle. I had a feeling this wasn’t going to be an easy series, and it sure wasn’t. Mad respect for that program.

Any chance you know who the reporter is that asked the question Saturday that got TV fired up? Rumor is that it was an Evansville-based person but I’m not sure.

Great press conference opening statement from TV ... make no mistake, he does his best recruiting during the post season. Just ask Amick, Bargo, and Peebles for example

He’ll retire in Knoxville. They built him a stadium to his specs. They’ll pay what he wants.

As for his communication/candor… while I was reading your words, I kind of thought, he’s basically the opposite of Butch Jones in that regard.
No offense to Heupel, but his comments are kinda full of well worn cliches and coach speak. Just things that all coaches regurgitate. I'm sure in private he's a different listen, but you just feel engagement with Vitello. He comes across as passionate, intelligent and genuine. Just the complete package.

VN Store

Back